Widgets Magazine

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good Gym in OKC?

Default Can anyone recommend a good Gym in OKC?

So I just moved back to OKC but I will only be here for a few months then I will leave again. I need a place to work out mostly cardio and weight lifting. I only want to pay a month to month so no contract. I'm pretty much okay with any where as long as it's in the inner city or in Midwest City.

2. Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good Gym in OKC?

If you're in the MWC area, then i believe 10-gym does monthly. Golds, in Del City might also. There are also smaller ones like Anytime or Shape that are also monthly. There's a fairly large Shape Fitness at 15/thPost as well as Sooner/89th. Anytime is at Sooner/59th. I dont know if Prime Time still exists on Air Depot in the large complex across from Chequers.

Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good Gym in OKC?

I'd recommend against 10-gym; they are very shady with their advertising and billing practices. They advertise "no contract" over and over but if you look at the fine print, they require a minimum 12-month commitment; that may be for "Preferred" only. I was a member back when they were called "All American 24-hour Fitness", and I ended up hating it. Very pushy salespeople, equipment that was constantly in a state of disrepair, and "24-hour" was only a name, not their actual hours. Your experience may be better than mine, especially given the time lapsed between then and now, but just be aware.

Personally, I like Planet Fitness because they're zero hassle, but there's not one in Midwest City.

4. Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good Gym in OKC?

I'd second baralheia....i had the same experience when i was there under All American...i hated it.

If you're a serious lifter, then City Gym is where you need to be... If you like to eat pizza and bagels, planet fitness would be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by OKIEDOKE View Post
    If you're a serious lifter, then City Gym is where you need to be... If you like to eat pizza and bagels, planet fitness would be a good fit.
    City Gym=self-obsessed d-bags who think body image shaming is cool.

Thanks for the heads up.

I work out at Gold's Gym Express in the shopping center at NW 23rd and Penn. Really good selection of bikes, treadmills and ellipticals. Good weight lifting area as well. Can get pretty busy, typically in the morning Monday evening. I only $10/month, might want to call and see what the month to month rate is.

10-gym has a month to month option, but I think it has a high start up fee, although they are always running "sales." If you aren't a serious weight lifter and live near a planet fitness, they are great for what they are. If you want to do real free weights though, it isn't a place for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    City Gym=self-obsessed d-bags who think body image shaming is cool.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Planet Fitness shames serious lifters who want to do real exercises like deadlifts.

No discrimination at Planet Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    Planet Fitness shames serious lifters who want to do real exercises like deadlifts.

No discrimination at Planet Fitness
    Not sure how you would even do a deadlift at Planet Fitness, since they don't have barbells.

I am not sure why everyone thinks its cool to bash PF, they go out of their way to advertise the fact that they are not for weightlifters, then weightlifters get upset that they aren't built for them. Planet Fitness is made for people who are trying to get into working out, want a nice clean place to do cardio, or people that are embarrassed to workout in front of serious fitness people. PF makes it very clear what they are, who they are marketed towards and what their rules are, they don't try to hide it at all, so I really don't get why people get bent about that. I've seen many very overweight people get into shape because PF provided them with the product they needed.

There are gyms all over the place that market towards weightlifting, so if you want to do clean and jerks or slam plates, go to one of them. And any serious lifter could see that PF's free weight area was a joke on the tour, so if they sign up just because it is cheap it is really on them.

FYI: I don't go to planet fitness because I want to do proper weightlifting and I prefer a higher end gym, but planet fitness did get my wife from being lazy to getting into a good fitness routine. Once it no longer met my needs I moved on to bigger and better things, but I think they are great for what they are.

^^^ Fair Enough about PF.

I use Gold's and recommend it due to the sheer number of locations available to you if you traverse the city (or travel elsewhere regularly)

In OKC alone they have locations here:
    Edmond
    Memorial Road
    NorthWest Expressway
    23rd & Penn
    Yukon
    I-240 & Walker
    Midwest City
    Moore
    Norman

Up until recently when we bought a power rack for our garage, we worked out at Anytime Fitness. You can't beat the 24/7/365 access. The location in Uptown is great.

Another alternative no one thinks about is the CHK or Devon Boathouse. Hours are wonky, but the Devon Boathouse has bumper plates if you're into that.

If Uptown = 23rd, I'd agree. That location is awesome.

I'd recommend Four Star Fitness but i may be partial ��. We have locations at 911 N Broadway on automobile alley, 6900 N May in okc and already signed the lease for our new edmond location. 24/7, free tanning, free childcare, free classes.

Quote Originally Posted by FourStarFitness View Post
    I'd recommend Four Star Fitness but i may be partial ��. We have locations at 911 N Broadway on automobile alley, 6900 N May in okc and already signed the lease for our new edmond location. 24/7, free tanning, free childcare, free classes.
    With all of that, how is it 4 stars?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    With all of that, how is it 4 stars?
    We didnt want to sound cocky

I'd second Four Star. I work out at the downtown location, and aside from rush hour right after work, it's usually not too busy to do what you need, it's well maintained, and clean. They've added some equipment that I thought it lacked early on, and I've been very happy overall. I'd like it if they had some a/v system for the cardio area, but I do most of my running outside anyway.

I just saw that the Edmond location of Four Star Fitness is on the SE corner of NW 178th & Penn, in the new strip mall they built next to CVS.

Thread Information