Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle cops

Default Re: Motorcycle cops

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Upset about what? Not getting a ticket or getting pulled over?

What's to be upset about? Obviously if my speed was excessive or reckless then I'd get tickets. Get on I-35 and drive no faster than the posted speed limit and most times you'll be in a the minority and often times you'll actually pose a danger because of the other cars whizzing by.
    I would be upset because I was stupid enough to be driving over the speed limit instead being pleased that I had ways to avoid being caught. I will never apologize for driving the speed limit, which is what I almost always do. I keep very aware of what other drivers are doing and make sure I don't impede traffic. I keep to the right unless I need to pass someone or exit to the left. I just never feel the need to speed for any reason. Driving over the speed limit actually is against the law for those who don't know it and like to consider themselves to be law abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I would be upset because I was stupid enough to be driving over the speed limit instead being pleased that I had ways to avoid being caught. I will never apologize for driving the speed limit, which is what I almost always do. I keep very aware of what other drivers are doing and make sure I don't impede traffic. I keep to the right unless I need to pass someone or exit to the left. I just never feel the need to speed for any reason. Driving over the speed limit actually is against the law for those who don't know it and like to consider themselves to be law abiding citizens.
    Well you're a very good driver.

Ljbab,
    I think we are twins! I am a "right lane" person and like you, I only move to the left to pass or exit. I don't speed for different reasons, I don't want to pay fines. I lived just off of N. E. 122 and the I-35 exit is on the left. By the way, I have driven over 15,000 miles in Great Britain and those people know how to drive on their "M" highways which is the equivalent of our interstates. They do not pass on the left (our right side) ever. And the folks in the passing lanes always move over when somebody signals to change lanes. I thought if I was driving the speed limit it was alright to pass somebody on my right, but my London friend said no, change lanes, period. No exceptions. And I don't think it's the law, it's just the way they drive.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well you're a very good driver.
    Thanks, plupan. Would you like lessons?

Thanks, plupan. Would you like lessons?
    Yeah haha... come on out to LA! ;P

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Uptowner,
    I am a "big" car fan and I have a Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Maybe many people don't pass you cause casual drivers would mistake you for an unmarked police car

7. Default Re: Motorcycle cops

"Stupid enough to be driving over the speed limit ... Driving over the speed limit actually is against the law for those who don't know it and like to consider themselves to be law abiding citizens." Well, I'm in great company then. Nobody asked you to apologize. But, you sure couldn't wait to label anyone who drives over the speed limit 'stupid.' FYI - I don't label myself a law abiding citizen. I actually highly endorse civil disobedience when appropriate (which can vary depending on one's perspective).

Yup. Fines are just too expensive. My last speeding ticket was in 2003, and it was too much. Going around the metro, going 10 miles over the speed limit at most might save me 5 minutes getting somewhere (if I'm lucky). That's not worth the $200-300 in fines/fees plus increased insurance. I guess other folks have a lot of more money to blow to save that 5 minutes. That's not counting the risk to my and other's lives (plus I want to set an example to my boys who are just starting out driving).

Bbatesokc,
    My report. from Southeast Douglas to I-235 and Northeast 6th, six cars passed me and I passed one, from there to the Kilpatrick turnpike, eighteen cars passed me and I passed five. It was not rush hour, but it was busy. That's not a case where everybody was "blowing" by me. I stand by my original statement.
    C. T.

It would be appreciated by many if someone sees a speed trap to post on this thread or a new one, the location and time seen.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    "Stupid enough to be driving over the speed limit ... Driving over the speed limit actually is against the law for those who don't know it and like to consider themselves to be law abiding citizens." Well, I'm in great company then. Nobody asked you to apologize. But, you sure couldn't wait to label anyone who drives over the speed limit 'stupid.' FYI - I don't label myself a law abiding citizen. I actually highly endorse civil disobedience when appropriate (which can vary depending on one's perspective).
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I said I would consider "myself" stupid if I did that and I absolutely would. I would deserve whatever consequences that I received for doing that. Other people are welcome to make whatever characterization about their activities that they desire.

If you consider disobeying traffic laws to be civil disobedience, I just don't know what to say. Your comments don't surprise me in the least.

CT,

I recently found a 94 marquis in nice condition and I jumped all over it because I was missing owning a larger ride that I can sit in rather than wear. Whenever the day arrives you decide to hang up your keys, maybe we can have us a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    CT,

I recently found a 94 marquis in nice condition and I jumped all over it because I was missing owning a larger ride that I can sit in rather than wear. Whenever the day arrives you decide to hang up your keys, maybe we can have us a chat.
    Kevin,
    I will try and remember that you asked. I don't think I'm going to be driving more than another year or two and even then, I will drive less than 2,000 per year. I bought a new Grand Marquis in 1997 and loved it, so I was looking for a later model when I stumbled onto the one I bought. The last year they were made was 2010, but mine's a 2006. I just replaced the original tires (due to age, not tread, they were starting to split), it has the original battery, and is in really good shape since I received a new paint job about three years ago due to hail damage. They were able to repair all the dents without replacing any body parts.

What gripes me is the lack of police on non interstate streets. If someone is going 80 instead of 70 on I40, I really don't see a big deal. But is someone is going 50 in a 40 on N. May at 5:00 in the afternoon, well that's a different story. Or how about speeding in neighborhood streets? Very difficult to get any police patrolling a neighborhood where kids are playing. But guess that's too much to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    What gripes me is the lack of police on non interstate streets. If someone is going 80 instead of 70 on I40, I really don't see a big deal. But is someone is going 50 in a 40 on N. May at 5:00 in the afternoon, well that's a different story. Or how about speeding in neighborhood streets? Very difficult to get any police patrolling a neighborhood where kids are playing. But guess that's too much to ask.
    There isn't any money to be made keeping neighborhoods safe and crime free......

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    It falls under YMMV. The highways have OHP to patrol them. They don't patrol city streets and neighborhoods. However, I see plenty of city police patrolling neighborhoods around here, and setting up speed traps. Especially when school is in session.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It falls under YMMV. The highways have OHP to patrol them. They don't patrol city streets and neighborhoods. However, I see plenty of city police patrolling neighborhoods around here, and setting up speed traps. Especially when school is in session.
    Ive actually noticed quite a few for the last few weeks , OHP making stops on city streets, which I've found to be really strange.

18. Default Re: Motorcycle cops

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Ive actually noticed quite a few for the last few weeks , OHP making stops on city streets, which I've found to be really strange.
    City streets or state highways running through the city?

OHP = All Roads, All Codes. They can and do make traffic stops on city streets.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I know they can enforce everywhere, but I've never seen OHP patrolling neighborhoods. From a traffic patrol standpoint, they tend to stay on the highways in my experience, and leave the neighborhoods to city police.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Edmond PD, OKCPD, OKC Sheriffs, Norman PD, and Logan County Sheriffs all patrol the highways. Most of the motorcycle cops are OKCPD. They aren't highway patrol. The police should not be allowed to conduct traffic stops on the highways and should stay on the streets and neighborhood roads and let the OHP handle the highways. But that doesn't happen.

Further more, cities like Nichols Hills, Deer Creek, Mustang, etc. should have the OKC Sheriffs patrol those areas and the outlying areas.

So far, the only cities I have seen police patrol in is Los Angeles and Edmond. I support it. Especially in the morning or around 4-5 when there are kids out.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    City streets or state highways running through the city?
    I've been seeing them up and down Penn , Western, and May as far in as 89th to the south and as far as 59th to the north.

I constantly see a Sherriffs car at the I240 and I 44 junction as well..

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016...cg_n=HootSuite

But speed kills so lets make sure all of these cops are out protecting us from these horrible speeders!

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I've never seen them do it and I've even tested it to see if they would pull me over and all I got was a dirty look.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Further more, cities like Nichols Hills, Deer Creek, Mustang, etc. should have the OKC Sheriffs patrol those areas and the outlying areas.

So far, the only cities I have seen police patrol in is Los Angeles and Edmond. I support it. Especially in the morning or around 4-5 when there are kids out.
    If by OKC Sheriff you mean the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Dept., Mustang and other outlying areas are not in Oklahoma County.

Thread Information