Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Britton District

Default Re: Britton District

This is what Jonathan Stranger said about El Coyote when he re-grammed our story on the district and his future restaurant:

Coming later this year @elcoyotebarandcantina in the @brittondistrictokc bringing authentic straightforward plates and cocktails from New Mexico. Santa Fe is where my father was born and where we have spent many nights and dinners since I was a boy. In my mind it’s perfect the way it is and we will work hard to make sure to keep it authentic, spicy, and just damn delicious. Thank you to @okctalk for letting folks know and look forward to being apart of this community as we all grow together!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is what Jonathan Stranger said about El Coyote when he re-grammed our story on the district and his future restaurant:
    This warms my heart and stimulates my appetite. I literally cannot wait.

Pretty excited to see this area get some attention. I moved to OKC less than a year ago and it looked like Britton was on the up and up. When I bought my house on NW 97th they had difficulty appraising it because so few houses in that area has been bought or sold recently, and any that had been were in need of a renovation. Now I have 2 houses on my street alone that were recently bought and gutted.

That section of Britton is pretty nifty with the recent development and the much-needed facelift of those old buildings. But when it was a pretty dingy section of town ... it was also a pretty unique area to have a few low point beers. We were trying to remember the names of the bars that were there (on the north side of Britton Road) and I seem to remember that there were two on that same block that were both operating at the same time. One was The Phone Booth at 817 West Britton Road and I don't remember the other one. There was Foxy Nights Club at 915 (which is the now closed Venn Pizza spot) and there was an Irish pub in one of the buildings, maybe the Zero Tolerance Coffee location at 913 West Britton Road. Maybe 815 and 907 were bars ? Gerv's Golf Shop has been there for awhile at 903. Anyone here that can refresh my hazy 3.2abv memories? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone booth britton road.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	18031

Quote Originally Posted by rayvaflav View Post
    That section of Britton is pretty nifty with the recent development and the much-needed facelift of those old buildings. But when it was a pretty dingy section of town ... it was also a pretty unique area to have a few low point beers. We were trying to remember the names of the bars that were there (on the north side of Britton Road) and I seem to remember that there were two on that same block that were both operating at the same time. One was The Phone Booth at 817 West Britton Road and I don't remember the other one. There was Foxy Nights Club at 915 (which is the now closed Venn Pizza spot) and there was an Irish pub in one of the buildings, maybe the Zero Tolerance Coffee location at 913 West Britton Road. Maybe 815 and 907 were bars ? Gerv's Golf Shop has been there for awhile at 903. Anyone here that can refresh my hazy 3.2abv memories? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone booth britton road.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	18031
    Great username. My dearly departed grandpa whiled away quite a few days getting lit in those dingy lounges. He was diabetic and quite the drinker (and very knowledgeable about OU football) but his saving grace is he walked -- a lot. He would walk there all the way from near the Johnnie's on Britton. He lived to 93 years old and was still walking up until the end.

Midtown Britton streetscaping

Looks like fabulous downtown Britton is getting nice makeover! Not sure but it appears the two-lane portion is being lengthened eastward and maybe diagonal parking added?

Thread Information