Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Britton District

Default Re: Britton District

Teo9969, I hope you're right. I think it's a heavy lift to think of gentrification hitting the North Highlands neighborhood between Western and 235 south of Britton Road. That's a critical piece for the stability of that part of town. If one could figure out how to stabilize/reinvigorate the Western Ave corridor from Wilshire north to 122nd, and the neighborhoods for a half-mile on both sides of that stretch, in order to tie in Nichols Hills, Chisholm Creek and a new, funky Britton Road, wow, game changer for Oklahoma City writ large. It's a huge area but is so ideally placed geographically. Quality development along 235 (which is starting to percolate with American Fidelity, The Half, and the medical buildings north of Britton) will help.

^

That neighborhood north of the Britton District still has a bunch of dirt/gravel roads, even the residential streets.

It's like another world, and not in a good way.

3. Default Re: Britton District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

That neighborhood north of the Britton District still has a bunch of dirt/gravel roads, even the residential streets.

It's like another world, and not in a good way.
    It's like small town rural Oklahoma

Pete, I've driven around that area north of the Britton district - because I love to explore. You're very right, but in a way, that presents an opportunity. Imagine something like Wheeler that abuts Britton to the south (and utilizes Britton as its business district) and takes advantage of that open land. Integrate the existing houses that are there with new ones in a more urban context. If the young and hip are flocking to Wheeler, I feel the next generation might flock to that area; especially those that grew up further north.

OK, I just looked at the area in the handy-dandy OKC Talk Development Map. I didn't realize there were so many existing houses in the 3-4 blocks north of Britton Road. But I still think a big, integrated development could work in the area north of that. North of 97th from Classen over to the Broadway Extension is completely empty. Putting a Wheeler-esque development there could, in turn, stabilize the few blocks between there and the old town of Britton.

Good luck prying that out of Garrett & Company's hands...

An interesting thing I just found out about the Britton District is that it is generally split between two City Council Wards with Britton Road being the dividing line between Western and Walker. I would imagine cohesive infrastructure improvements would require a significant amount of collaboration. Fortunately, the two council people are James Cooper and Nikki Nice which I think helps.

Does Garrett and Company own that entire area? I actually know them, which makes no difference because I’m not actually the one with the money or expertise to do any of this myself. LOL.

Always easier to just speculate on an internet chat board. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Does Garrett and Company own that entire area? I actually know them, which makes no difference because I’m not actually the one with the money or expertise to do any of this myself. LOL.

Always easier to just speculate on an internet chat board. LOL
    They own the vast majority of the tracts in that area.

Blog Entries

Did we already say somewhere in this thread what this is? Not seeing it...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRRSiU8rUxH/

^

It's a little office development called Beltline 66.

Location is west of Western and on the south side of the street; little cross-street is Vincent.

Blog Entries

Ah. Post made it seem like it was going to be big news...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Ah. Post made it seem like it was going to be big news...
    What were you expecting for a small but growing district like this? This adds to the populace during the day, and likely for after hours, which will help bars make more money and lure other food/drink places there. It is fairly big for a center with 3-4 tenants joining a district with like, 10 overall.

Blog Entries

Um, not being critical, I think this is great for their growth.

But in the comments when someone asked what it was going to be they responded:

The owner's not quite ready to say. You'll have to stay tuned for the big reveal!
    So I thought it was something "huge" so to speak. It's great either way, though.

I'm just spitball'n but it would be cool if it was a mini food hall type deal.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongCider View Post
    Good luck prying that out of Garrett & Company's hands...
    +1. Those guys play hard ball, drink their Starbucks black and have exceptionally sharp elbows.

Anyone trying to move against them better be riding in on a Brinks Truck.

Resurgent Britton district to add restaurant, brewery and distillery

The redevelopment of the Britton District continues with three new businesses being planned.

Patio area of El Coyote

On the north side of the street and at the far west end, chef Jonathon Stranger (Osteria, Bar Chicchetti) has submitted plans for El Coyote, a restaurant and bar that will feature New Mexican cuisine. The design by AHMM Architects includes a large adobe-style patio will the interior will be highlighted by a long interior bar and southwestern elements.

El Coyote interior

Immediately to the east will be Madhopper Brewery in a structure that once housed the Britton Theater.

El Coyote space to the left, Madhopper Brewery to the right

And a distillery and tasting room will soon be coming to the old Ritz Theater on the south side of Britton.

Venn Pizza opened in June in a completely renovated space with a back patio.

Zero Tolerance Coffee also opened in early 2020, as did the historic Owl Court motel has been restored from ruins into several small shops and office spaces, joining several businesses in renovated structures.

Owl Court

Also, a new butterfly garden on the southwest corner of NW 92nd and Western will soon provide a relaxing spot for visitors on what is now a vacant lot.

Britton was once a separate municipality until it was annexed by Oklahoma City in 1950.

The town was named after railroad attorney Alexander Britton who worked for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. As part of the charter to allow the railroad to be built through Oklahoma, a railway station was required to be built every 7 miles. The first stop north of Oklahoma City became known as Britton and the town once had 6,000 residences where Main Street (now Britton Road) became the main commercial corridor. For a time, Route 66 passed directly through downtown Britton.

18. Default Re: Britton District

Ok... You had me at New Mexican....oh and distillery.... but mostly New Mexican.

Had a memory pop up on my social media recently of an omelette I had at a little dive diner in New Mexico a couple of years ago that was served Christmas Style..... It was freaking amazing!

Oh heck yes! I am mostly looking forward to the New Mexican restaurant. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Ok... You had me at New Mexican....oh and distillery.... but mostly New Mexican.

Had a memory pop up on my social media recently of an omelette I had at a little dive diner in New Mexico a couple of years ago that was served Christmas Style..... It was freaking amazing!
    Same here. Just got back from southern Colorado, with mandatory stops coming and going at our favorite spots.

I used to live ON Britton, between Penn and May, and the entire stretch of Britton between Broadway and the Hefner Parkway, all of it has so much potential, if not already "there".

All that to say, I absolutely LOVE this. The old downtown Britton is such a cool area. Even going south on Western right there on Britton, there's a LOT of untapped potential right there, with most of it already in use, actually.

Anyway, this is absolutely awesome. Huge gets. Can't wait to try them all out.

Pete, can you clarify where the patio would go for the restaurant? I would guess into the parking lot to the west, but it could be behind.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pete, can you clarify where the patio would go for the restaurant? I would guess into the parking lot to the west, but it could be behind.
    Behind (to the north).

This is the site plan for El Coyote:

This all sounds very cool, and very close to me!

Thread Information