Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718

Thread: Embark (OKC Metro Bus Service)

1. Default Re: Embark (OKC Metro Bus Service)

more like dumb and dumber.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Embark (OKC Metro Bus Service)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Interesting that The Village can't enter into multi-year contracts - is that something that's normal for cities?
    it is very common for most gov entities and even on the 1 year deal usually the gov can cancel with notice .. .

however usually deals are set up as a base year with x amount of option years and the reality is that unless there is a major screw up a 1 year with 4 option years is basically treated as a 5 year deal

I would think in times of higher fuel prices mass transit might gain ground amongst communities. I for one am clamouring for public transit to make my commute better, but I still have to drive my vehicle to the closest Embark stop.

Embark should serve the Village and Nichols Hills. Before anyone responds with any ridiculous comments like why would anyone in Nichols Hills use bus I have two relatives who live in Bel Air and Beverly Hills who occasionally use the bus system as it is more ecological friendly and less of a hassle.

If I am not mistaken, there is a bus stop on Western between NW 63rd and Wilshire, adjacent to Nichols Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    If I am not mistaken, there is a bus stop on Western between NW 63rd and Wilshire, adjacent to Nichols Hills.
    there are a lot of bus stops on western in nichols hills and the village

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    there are a lot of bus stops on western in nichols hills and the village
    The Village is 1/2 mile west of Western. Waverly is the eastern border.

Has there been any opposition to this in The Village? Any posters know the residents opinion as to paying 200k yearly versus losing the service.

Blog Entries

Don't know about the residents, but was told two of the city councilors supported it, not sure how many the village has total.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Has there been any opposition to this in The Village? Any posters know the residents opinion as to paying 200k yearly versus losing the service.
    I don't think The Village has any Embark service. The thing being discussed is providing some kind of service to their residents. The Village, covering about 5 square miles and 7500 residents really is a small town in the big city. It is small enough that the city government does know every street and house. They have a pretty solid understanding of the needs. The city has 5 wards and (I think) the city council has 5 members. They have a paid city manager. I think they are trying to figure out if there is a real service the citizens are missing out on or if they are trying to be "urbanists" when they don't need to.

LARGE FEDERAL GRANT WILL HELP EMBARK REACH 2025 GOAL OF 100% ALTERNATIVE-FUELED BUS FLEET

If you are one of the thousands of people in Oklahoma City who regularly ride a city bus, the chances of you someday soon riding on a bus powered entirely by alternative fuels just increased significantly.

This past August, EMBARK, the business unit of the Central Oklahoma Transportation & Parking Authority that provides bus, ferry transit, bike share and downtown parking solutions in the Oklahoma City metro area, was awarded a $6.8 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration to purchase new compressed natural gas (CNG) and electrical vehicles (EV) for its fleet of buses and vans.

Electric vehicles produce no emissions and are typically quieter compared to gasoline-powered or diesel-powered vehicles. With its near-zero emissions, compressed natural gas is cleaner than other fossil fuels and better for the environment. In addition, CNG costs less and is easier on engine components.

In an EMBARK news release, Administrator Jason Ferbrache said the grant, which is the largest competitive grant for bus replacement that EMBARK has ever received, is an incredible opportunity to enhance the customer experience and support EMBARK’s vision to become world-class transportation.

“Being awarded this competitive grant for fleet needs provides flexibility to use existing resources for other capital investment within the system,” Ferbrache said.

Once the new CNG and EV vehicles are in service, which is expected to occur within the next two years, the number of CNG and EV vehicles in EMBARK’S fleet should increase significantly. EMBARK’s goal is to have a 100% alternative-fueled fleet by 2025. Of the 73 fixed-route buses currently in EMBARK’s fleet, more than half are CNG, electric or hybrid vehicles.

The $6.8 million grant was funded by the federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law through the FTA’s Low or No Emission Vehicle Program.
    - https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/pol...ack=super_blog

D.C. is set to decide to make bus service free. I wish OKC would follow suit.

https://www.route-fifty.com/infrastr...s-free/380386/

Thread Information