Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Embark (OKC Metro Bus Service)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bus System

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but I had missed the fact that the downtown trolleys had been replaced with modern buses. Well, I had heard that it was going to happen, but didn't know they had been replaced already.

Anyone here have a comment about the new buses? Are they any better, more comfortable than the old trolleys? Do you prefer them or do you miss the trolleys?
    Some driver perspective...
    I rode one around the full loop two Sundays ago and my daughter and I were the only ones on board, so we talked to the driver a bunch. She said they (all the drivers) outright hated the tolleys and were very pleased to see them go. She also stopped the bus by the Bricktown Cinco de Mayo celebrations, got out, walked across the street, got a taco, brought it back to the bus, and continued driving. We got a kick out of that.

2. Default Re: Bus System

The individual route recommendations by consultant Nelson\Nygaard are now available at www.gometro.org. Be sure to join us for the community meeting this Tuesday, May 21 at Noon and again at 5 pm.

http://www.gometro.org/Websites/gome...ec_May2013.pdf

Here is a direct link to the recommendations. It appears to be a solid piece of work. Any thoughts from people who use the bus system regularly? I did not see if the study stated what would be gained as far as efficiency or making more buses available more frequent service on high volume routes.

I like the initiatives taken by COTPA lately - the electric hybrid and CNG buses appeal to people wanting to be "green". Maybe reduce operating costs? The evaluation of the routes and service is a good sign and will pay dividends later as transit becomes more of a priority.

You can get a brief but good look at the new metro transit buses in this video:

Bike To Work Day 2013 - YouTube

Which is primarily about bicycling, but includes a few comments about using the metro bus system to help/accomodate cyclists in their daily transits.

A few screenshots:

The new buses do look nice, and roomy inside.

Angry Re: Bus System

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    I wonder what they did with the old trolleys? Might be cool to save one, take the wheels off, and place it somewhere in bricktown. Could be converted to a little food stand or something like that.

Scrapped? We can only hope. They ride poorly, the seats are uncomfortable, etc, etc. And they aren't based on a trolley, but on a cable car. Blech. :-) At least they have rear doors.

Form follows function, not the other way around.

6. Default Re: Bus System

Don't forget that this Friday is a Free Fare Friday. Take a ride with us. Just one trip a month is a great way to start a new habit! Learn more about schedules online at www.gometro.org/schedules or give METRO a call at 235-RIDE (7433) for a custom trip plan.

7. Default Re: Bus System

The Monday before last I had the opportunity to make a trip using our bus system. I usually utilize public transportation when visiting other cities, but I have not actually used the one in my home town. All in all, it was a positive experience and a great value. That trip has inspired me to further utilize the bus for other trips. However, my understanding of the nuances of our system is still quite limited. I am hoping the regular transit riders here on this forum would help me out.

There is a particular trip I would like to make next week, but it depends on where exactly the bus on this particular route actually stops. I live very near the Plaza District and I would like to get to NW 50th and Penn. I would like also like to make the same return trip. Looking at the outbound timetable for route 8, it appears to only stop at Linwood and Indiana, then 23rd and Penn, followed by Penn Square Mall. Route 7 stops at at a bench at 16th and Penn. If I was waiting at the bench at 16th and Penn, will route 8 stop to pick me up or zoom by assuming I am waiting on 7? On the return, there is a shelter at NW 50th and Penn. This particular stop does not show up on any route timetable. Will route 7 stop for me here? Generally, I have noticed that there are many stops between timepoints where riders can get off, but does the bus also pick up at these locations?

I guess I am confused by the schedules. I would expect them to show every stop on a particular route, but they does not seem to. Based on my quite limited experience riding the bus, there seems to be a bunch more intermediate stops. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

The bus will stop if you are standing by a bus stop sign, it does not have to be a time point. If you want, you could kind of flag down the driver to make sure since there are two routes there. As for stops, I believe the bus will stop on the far side of any intersection. So you can pull the cord just before 50th Street and the driver will stop after passing through the intersection. The drivers can be really helpful in my experience, so you can always talk to them when you board and clarify where you're going so they can help you figure things out.

Of course, if we had a grid system and signage at every stop this wouldn't be as confusing as described. Thank goodness there is an effort afoot to make significant changes to our system.

Given the transit of today and it's poor numbers the city might get with little notice is it is off holidays. If we ever get a good system and the kind of development that the city says they want and could support a good transit system, it will no longer be an option to have down on Sundays or holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I left my thoughts. If you agree I hope you will too: https://www.facebook.com/cityofokc/p...51482803862312

Fire, Police, they don't take off July 4th. Transit here is not regarded as important enough to run on July 4th. Even the downtown circulator which is one of the few times in the year when it will be truly useful.

This is all likely from really poor union negotiations. Police and Fire aren't taking the day off. In cities our size heck I've seen them advertise the fact that transit is available so there are fewer drunk drivers.

Today may not be the day they listen but I hope this holiday, especially due to all the activities happening around town, is one that people really speak up and let the city know it is isn't acceptable to not run transit.
    did your comment get deleted??? I can't seem to find it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Given the transit of today and it's poor numbers the city might get with little notice is it is off holidays. If we ever get a good system and the kind of development that the city says they want and could support a good transit system, it will no longer be an option to have down on Sundays or holidays.
    Yes but the excuse for a poor transit system is "well nobody uses what we have why improve it?"

Our ridership is low because the system sucks. No one rides the bus around here on holidays at all, not one person -- because the buses don't even run....

Biggest problem with the Norman Bus System?

Each route only goes 1 direction, therefore it may take you 10 minutes from the bus stop to your destination...but then when you get back on the bus it may take 30 minutes.

14. Default Re: Bus System

It's Free Fare Friday! We hope to see you on the bus today!

Psst...bring a friend!

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkTransit View Post
    It's Free Fare Friday! We hope to see you on the bus today!

Psst...bring a friend!
    Just curious. Do the freebie days appear to generate any new public transit devotees, or are they primarily just a discount for regular riders?

16. Default Re: Bus System

That's a great question. Undoubtedly, we see an increase in our overall ridership. Our goal is to nudge folks to ride at least once who normally drive on a daily basis. We see new faces on board our buses every 3rd Friday. Do they return on Monday? Not necessarily, however, this promo serves as a tool for introducing non-riders to our system. We've noticed that they come in many forms, it could be office workers using it for a lunch outing, or a parent and child using it for the first time to visit the zoo. We're interested in creating positive first experiences. This is our third season to do this promotion and at the end of each season we hear positive stories from those who tried it for the first time and are returning (for a variety of reasons). ^ms

17. Default Re: Bus System

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Wife and kids enjoyed not having to use their pass (though we've got the monthly pass so it isn't a savings).
    I want to go car-free in OKC so bad, but I haven't taken the leap yet. I admire you doing that in such a difficult city to do it in.

I will add that I've been riding my bike as much as humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkTransit View Post
    Undoubtedly, we see an increase in our overall ridership.
    Our goal is to nudge folks to ride at least once who normally drive on a daily basis. We see new faces on board our buses every 3rd Friday.
    this promo serves as a tool for introducing non-riders to our system.
    I think this is a good promo, but why be so timid in the approach ?

Why not have one free day every week of the month, one month it could be Free Mondays the next could be Free Thursdays. And if one day a month is too much how about one free day every other week.

Frequency and the length of time in which the frequency occur are key factors and adapting new consumer habits and patterns.

It's not that hard at all. My car has been parked for about two months. I'm even commuting to Norman on the bus daily (with my bike), and it's been very reliable so far. I can't believe how much work I get done on the bus that was time wasted in my car.

I will say this about Metro Transit: The Sooner Express to Norman is shared by Metro Transit and CART. The times that CART covers the route have ALWAYS been prompt. The times Metro Transit covers the route, while reliable, can run 5-8 minutes behind sometimes. I also like that CART has three bike racks on their buses as opposed to only two on Metro Transit.

20. Default Re: Bus System

Don't forget to join us on the bus this Friday for the season's last Free Fare Friday. Introduce someone new to public transit this month. Give us a call at 235-7433 for help planning your trip.

Also, how would you like to access system and route information? Keep in mind that not everyone has a smartphone. Would you prefer individual brochures like we have now or a comprehensive booklet?

I prefer a comprehensive booklet instead of individual brochures. The individual brochures require that you already know enough about the system to select the route that you need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5346_thumbnail-1024.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	4482

23. Default Re: Bus System

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    September 26, 2013

Higher Frequency Focus of Proposed New Bus System
    METRO Transit to Host Public Meetings on Proposed Route and Fare Changes

OKLAHOMA CITY – Citizens will experience less wait-time for weekday bus service if proposed service changes are adopted. METRO Transit is proposing a restructured route network and will be hosting a series of public meetings throughout the city October 3-11 to collect public comment on the proposed improvements.

The changes are based in part on a study by Nelson Nygaard, a firm hired by the Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority (COTPA) and the City of Oklahoma City to review and make recommendations for improving the current public transit system within METRO Transit’s existing budget and resources. The consultants’ final recommendations focus on increasing the frequency of the bus routes, reducing passenger wait time, reducing passenger travel time and realigning routes to better match demand.

Building on the work of the consultants, the City of Oklahoma City Council allocated an additional $1 million to help increase frequency to every 30 minutes on even more routes; leaving only four local bus routes 9, 11, 14, and 18 with wait times no more than 60 minutes. Consultants say increasing the frequency of a bus route not only makes it more convenient for riders, it also makes the system easier to understand.

“The current system can be confusing and connections between buses can be long because not all routes have the same frequency.” said Thomas Wittmann, with Nelson Nygaard. “Buses may stop in one place every 45 minutes, another place every 90 minutes and another place it may only stop a few times per day. But when you can walk to a bus stop and know you can catch a bus every 30 minutes, it takes out some of the guess work and makes it easier to understand.”

To achieve a higher frequency, the bus routes will make fewer deviations into neighborhoods, primarily sticking to main arterials, a practice consultants say is common in most large cities. The changes also create several bus corridors with 15 minute frequency, establish a mini “transit hub” in west Oklahoma City for improved connectivity and create a new south crosstown route to serve a growing South 29th Street corridor.

Based on pilot programs in 2010 and 2011, METRO Transit ridership increased by about 20 and 30 percent when frequency was increased from one hour to 40 minutes and from 65 to 32 minutes.

According to the study, increased frequency will not only improve convenience for existing riders but states that nationwide market research has shown 30 minute service is the minimum level of service necessary to attract more riders.

“The changes we are talking about are really transformational,” said Rick Cain, administrator for the Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority. “More frequent service is the first step to a better system. The new alignment and schedule are the foundation for a service that could support future improvements like extended hours and Sunday service. Those improvements will really make a difference for existing and potential riders.”

If additional funding becomes available, the consultants’ long term recommendations for increased frequency on additional routes, later service and Sunday service will be pursued.

Public meetings will be held in all quadrants of the city during October and will address the proposed service changes and a fare increase to help maintain existing service. The proposed fare changes would increase local single-trip fare prices to $1.75 from $1.50 and express single-trip fares to $3 from $2.25. Unlimited day, week and monthly passes would stay the same at $4, $14 and $50 respectively. Other changes include adjusting fares for reserved and curb-to-curb trips on METRO Link, a limited night and Sunday service.

Once public comments have been received and reviewed, fare increases could be implemented as early as January 2014 and service changes could be implemented as early as Spring 2014.

Public Meetings
    Thursday, October 3 at 5:15 p.m.
    Warr Acres Library (Warr Acres) | 5901 NW 63rd | Along route 8

Monday, October 7 at 5:15 p.m.
    Almonte Library (Ward 3) | 2914 SW 59 | Along route 12

Tuesday, October 8 at 11:45 a.m. and 5:15 p.m.
    Downtown Library (Ward 6) | 300 Park Ave | Near Transit Center (approx. 3 blocks)

Wednesday, October 9 at 11:45 a.m.
    OKC Hispanic Chamber (Ward 4) | 309 SW 59 Ste. 302 | Along route 40

Thursday, October 10 at 11:45 a.m. and 5:15 p.m.
    Ralph Ellison Library (Ward 7) | 2000 NE 23 | Along routes 2, 19 and 22

Friday, October 11 at 11:45 a.m.
    Boys & Girls Club (Ward 2) | 3535 N Western | Along routes 4 and 5

Each meeting is planned to last 40-55 minutes and will feature the same information and public comment format. Please notify METRO Transit at least 48 hours before the meeting if you require an interpreter or other disability accommodations. Notification can be made by calling 235-7433 (TDD 297-2602) between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Comments or questions about the proposed changes will also be accepted through October 18, 2013 and may be made by phone to (405) 297-3020, by e-mail to gometro@okc.gov or by mail to:

METRO Transit
    attn: 2014 Service Changes
    300 SW 7 St.
    Oklahoma City, OK 73109

Details of the proposed service and fare changes are available online at gometro.org starting October 3.

About METRO Transit
    To learn more about METRO Transit and view bus schedules and routes, visit Home | METRO Transit Providing Central Oklahoma Transportation & Bus Service Options or call (405) 235-RIDE (7433) for personal assistance from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. To learn more about carpooling or to be matched with someone in your area, visit www.getaroundok.com.

- Proposed System Map
    -Learn More

24. Default Re: Bus System

Watch last week's public meetings to learn more about the proposed 2014 route/fare changes. Visit our YouTube page to access the videos.

The final public hearing will be this Wednesday, October 16 at 11:45 am at Ralph Ellison Library along routes 2,19 and 22.

Blog Entries

Isn't this like the system talked about on the streetcar threads? If it can work affordably for buses, why not streetcars?

Thread Information