Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hudson Park

Default Re: 1220 N. Hudson

What kind of effects do projects like this have on the few condos in the surrounding blocks in terms of property value?

Moreocer, just in general, what kind of effect do all of the midtown projects in addition to all the proposed and currently under construction condos have on those that have owned condos in midtown before all of this boom?

2. Default Re: 1220 N. Hudson

This is a great, adaptive reuse of a parking lot.

I wonder if this means we're very close to redevelopment of Blue Gardens? To me, this development seems like a temporary new development to replace the previous outdoor temporary gathering spot (that is/was BG).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

3. Default Re: 1220 N. Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Is Foodies still in business somewhere else?
    Not sure what this might mean but I spotted a truck parked behind the China Queen Express at SE 29th and I-35 last night that had Foodies Asian American Food painted on it.

Crossing my fingers that maybe they are going to renovate that run down Chinese takeout into a new location..... I miss those bulgogi gyros!

Project goes before the DDRC tomorrow with a slightly revised site plan:

This was continued to the next meeting after Marva Ellard (Seiber) and a few others in the area expressed concern about noise and crowds.

That's quite annoying.

A lot of worries about "big crowds".

Heaven forbid we actually bring more people into these urban neighborhoods.

It's the drawbridge syndrome... As soon as I cross I want to remove access for others.

I wonder if her tenants are complaining about crowds? I know for me, and a majority of people who are moving to this area, crowds are to be expected, and desired. That seems strange, this should be a draw for the area, not a deterrent.

Marva wasn't the only one with concerns.

I'd recommend watching the video to form your own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This was continued to the next meeting after Marva Ellard (Seiber) and a few others in the area expressed concern about noise and crowds.
    Oh ffs move to the suburbs.

I think they should worry more about the housing for the mentally unstable next door more than this. The more foot traffic and presence of life makes the area safer in my opinion.

Slower service: DDRC gives more time for Foodies redevelopment

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record July 21, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Restaurant developer Joe Jungmann and his business partner, Dale Cazes, said they are not building a food truck park around the old Foodies diner building in Midtown.

Cazes said they are trying to build a park at NW 12th Street and N. Hudson Avenue. It will have a restaurant in the existing diner building, a permanent barbecue food truck and another alternating food truck. Alcoholic beverages will be available, and the plan includes four shipping containers housing amenities.

The design idea came from Madison Square Park in New York City.

“I don’t think that Oklahoma City has really something we are planning on doing,” Cazes said. “It will be different than Blue Garten. It will be different than things that you’ve seen in Oklahoma City.”

Some residents near the site voiced their concerns with the concept Thursday during the Downtown Design Review Committee meeting. Sieber apartments developer Marva Ellard said she thinks Jungmann and Cazes need to meet with more neighbors. She’s also concerned about the food sales versus alcohol sales. State law requires restaurants to sell more food than alcohol, but for a bar, it’s vice versa.

The DDRC gave the developers and architect Richard Starks a continuance to the August meeting so they could have more time to address those issues, as well as the committee’s apprehensions.

“I think there are discussions that need to be had with neighbors,” Ellard said. “We’d go there for lunch all the time. We just don’t know what it is and what it will be.”

John Sorenson of Bullard and Associates said his law office has had to increase its maintenance budget because the parking lot has a lot of trash and cars left overnight from people visiting Midtown already. He said they are concerned the same issues will occur at other office buildings once the park and restaurants open.

Starks said during the meeting that the site is relying on street parking. There are more than 100 free spots within a two-block radius of the park.

Cazes and Jungmann plan some renovation on the building, such as removing the front windows and putting in a more modern product. The front door will be permanently closed and covered to look like the building. The entrance will be moved to NW 12th Street.

The concrete will be covered with turf, and plants will be in planters, creating a park-like atmosphere. A large fence will encompass the site.

But moving the entrance is not within the downtown design element framework, which requires the main door to face the original street. Nonetheless, moving the door to the same grade as the concrete would make it accessible within the federal Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines.

The DDRC also had concerns with using metal shipping containers near a residential neighborhood and the design of the pergolas, which was not included in Thursday’s presentation.

Sparks said there is only a one-year lease on the metal containers. They are not permanent and would be covered to look like the Foodies building.

Ellard said there’s still work that needs to be done on the design.

“It’s still in the cake-mix stage,” she said. “It’s not in the baked cake stage yet.”

Is this the project Lackmeyer was referring to, whom came to the DDRC with incomplete designs?

Default Re: Hudson Park

Latest plans for former Foodies in Midtown

The future proprietors of what is now called Hudson Park have submitted revised plans for the former Foodies building at 1220 N. Hudson.

The new plans include featuring the small metal building and the addition of a smokehouse to the northern part of the property.

Carried over from the previous proposal is the small kitchen in the original building, a restroom and bar out-building, covered pergolas and an area for two food trucks.

The previous plans met with objections from neighbors over possible noise and parking, although those areas are outside the purview of the Downtown Design Review Committee which will review these latest plans on Thursday October 20th.

The City relies on existing noise and parking ordinances when it comes to those matters.

15. Default Re: Hudson Park

Considering the neighbors have already resisted this project.... The addition of the smokehouse raises the same concern for me that I've had with Maple's but amplified. Neighbors complaining about the smell of the smoke.

It's exciting to see all this new BBQ coming to Midtown though and places like Blu's & Back Door (Possibly Iron Star) are going to possibly have to step up their games because I don't feel like the area can support that much BBQ.

Maple's stands to really raise the bar in OKC because it sounds like they are going to be attempting a concept I've wanted to see tried here since my first trip to Austin to eat at some of the Texas Monthly's Top 50 BBQ Restaurants.

16. Default Re: Hudson Park

I understand the noise concerns. If you're going to have residential near entertainment venues, then compromises have to be made on both sides. If I lived at the Sieber, I would be concerned about outdoor music, and crowd noise keeping me up at night. But, the Sieber was open before this venue, so Marva Ellard's concerns should be addressed.

That said, I love this development and I would think they could reach an agreement with the surrounding neighbors to limit noise after say 10:00 on weeknights and later on Friday and Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    I understand the noise concerns. If you're going to have residential near entertainment venues, then compromises have to be made on both sides. If I lived at the Sieber, I would be concerned about outdoor music, and crowd noise keeping me up at night. But, the Sieber was open before this venue, so Marva Ellard's concerns should be addressed.

That said, I love this development and I would think they could reach an agreement with the surrounding neighbors to limit noise after say 10:00 on weeknights and later on Friday and Saturday.
    I live across the street from Bleu Garten and some of my windows face the west. They have music every Wednesday that goes until around 10:00 which has never bothered me, and is actually kind of nice to open the windows and hear the music. Like has been mentioned, that is part of what comes with living in an urban area and something I expected when moving here. The weekends aren't really any worse.

I imagine there is some pushback from Sieber residents since they've been able to live in an urban area without a lot around it for awhile, and may be worried about the noise. You would hope that would be an amenity to them instead of a burden.

If you move into an urban environment, you have to accept the possibility that developments like Hudson Park and Union at SoSA could arise on the property across the street. To me, that's actually why you move to an urban environment. It's okay if others don't see it that way, but you can't control developments that meet existing laws regarding noise levels and such. These new developments should develop a working relationship with their neighbors, but in the end, they're under absolutely no obligation to do so. If that is a big problem for some people, living in an urban area just might not be for them. OKC has plenty of quiet, residential-only neighborhoods even in the core.

This is all funny to me personally because all I want is for developments like these to open near where I live. It's why I always choose to live in the core in whatever city I live in. If they're a little noisy then I just turn on a noisy fan when I go to sleep.

^^^^^

Well said. One should know going into a downtown core environment that there will be people, sounds, trains, cars--in other words, life. We live 4 blocks from this development and are looking forward to it opening back up. In fact, I think there might just be more neighbors down here who are excited about all the new things coming into the area than there are NIMBYs. Perhaps the nay-sayers are just more vocal. And, as you said, there are already noise and other ordinances in place that must be complied with. So long as they are within those parameters, then it's fair game.

Hudson Park finally passed the DDRC today as long as they re consider the fencing. There was a lot of opposition because of noise and lack of parking. Surprisingly, the parking opposition came from Midtown board members. I would have thought that they would be thrilled to see an infill development that did not include a parking lot. The developers mentioned that they were negotiating with the law firm near by to use their parking during non office hours which I really appreciate. Maybe I'm too Idealistic, but I'd like to see parking limited as much as possible in the area to promote walking and future streetcar use. Midtown is an exciting enough neighborhood that people would be fine parking a bit further away and walking more than they are used to in order to get to their destination. People don't visit awesome places because of great parking and I think that Midtown would be hindered if every development had an attached garage or surface parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Hudson Park finally passed the DDRC today as long as they re consider the fencing. There was a lot of opposition because of noise and lack of parking. Surprisingly, the parking opposition came from Midtown board members. I would have thought that they would be thrilled to see an infill development that did not include a parking lot. The developers mentioned that they were negotiating with the law firm near by to use their parking during non office hours which I really appreciate. Maybe I'm too Idealistic, but I'd like to see parking limited as much as possible in the area to promote walking and future streetcar use. Midtown is an exciting enough neighborhood that people would be fine parking a bit further away and walking more than they are used to in order to get to their destination. People don't visit awesome places because of great parking and I think that Midtown would be hindered if every development had an attached garage or surface parking lot.
    As in no fence? Or change to fence material?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    As in no fence? Or change to fence material?
    There were concerns expressed about the 6' fence; that some would like to see more interaction with the street.

But, the fence is relatively open in terms of being able to see in/out.

They passed approval except for the fence, which will allow this to move forward while they work out a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Today, if one were to park "a bit further away", where would that be? Are there public lots specifically designated for Midtown parking? Not trying to be snarky, but I'm not as familiar with the area as some. My experience with trying to go to McNellie's, Irmas, etc during lunch has been one of hustling to find non-restricted parking.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Today, if one were to park "a bit further away", where would that be? Are there public lots specifically designated for Midtown parking? Not trying to be snarky, but I'm not as familiar with the area as some. My experience with trying to go to McNellie's, Irmas, etc during lunch has been one of hustling to find non-restricted parking.
    There is the garage just to the west of the buick bldg on 10th, lots behind waffle champion, stella, loui's and fassler hall. Lots next to gogo sushi, giggles and across from Packards and next to the memorial. There is ample street parking all over midtown and surrounding areas on Park Pl., Hudson, Robinson, Harvey, Dewey, 9th st, 8th st, 7th st, 6th st, 5th st, in Heritage Hills/Mesta Park. Granted, some of the street parking could be a bit farther away than many around here might want to walk (especially if you are in a rush for lunch), but if there is too much parking dotting the area we could sacrifice what will make Midtown great which is dense, mixed used development that is walkable.

Blog Entries

Granted I live in Midtown and usually walk, but I've never had an issue parking, if I did drive, for any event of any size in Midtown. You can always find something.

Thread Information