Widgets Magazine

Thread: Thunder fan starts petition to change Durant, OK to Westbrook, OK

Thunder Thunder fan starts petition to change Durant, OK to Westbrook, OK

so I saw this come across my news feed & had to shake my head in disbelief..
    Now I'll admit I'm not a sports person, but isnt this going TOO far? , I mean yes her left but didn't he have a positive impact ON OK while he was here?

http://newsok.com/article/5515356

"One Oklahoman has taken action following the departure of Kevin Durant in free agency ... a potentially city-changing action
    How so? By petitioning Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin and Stewart Hoffman – the mayor of Durant, Oklahoma –to change the name of the city to Westbrook, Oklahoma, to highlight the Thunder's All-Star point guard.

Here's the link https://www.change.org/p/mary-fallin...utm_medium=sms to the petition on change.org, which had more than 200 supporters as of mid-day Thursday.

And here's the message from Ryan Nazari of Edmond, who started the petition entitled "Change the name of the City of Durant, OK to Westbrook, OK":

Ladies and gentlemen, the great state of Oklahoma has been betrayed. As many of you know, Kevin Durant has left our state, torn out our hearts, and left our beloved Oklahoma City Thunder in depleted shape. All of this after even being offered a cabinet position for the State of Oklahoma. It is because of this heinous action that I believe the State of Oklahoma has a responsibility to change the name of the City of Durant to Westbrook, the man who is loyal, whom we believe in, and who will lead our team to glory. Yes, it is understood that the city Durant was not named after the evil Kevin Durant, but it is just another hideous reminder of what happened to our community. Support the Cause. #WestbrookOK
    Located in Bryan County, Durant (population: 15,856) is 14 miles north of the Texas border. According to durant.org, the official site of the city, the name of the city (pronounced Doo-Rant) originates from a family of French-Choctaw origin which immigrated to the southeastern part of the Choctaw Nation in 1832.

Dixon Durant, a minister, businessman and civic leader, is credited as the founder of the city, which bears his namesake. He established the first store selling general merchandise in 1873.

The petition included the photo below, a mock-up of Durant's city sign replaced with "Westbrook."

http://newsok.com/gallery/articleid/...ctures/4416183

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thunder fan starts petition to change Durant, OK to Westbrook, OK

What about Perkins, Oklahoma?

May as well kill two birds with one stone.

How about changing its name to Collison or Oladipo, Oklahoma

Ridiculous.

Collison, Oklahoma.

In a state that votes as it does, can pure silliness really surprise anyone?

Absolutely hilarious. Lighten up people.

Crappy petitions make it all the time. This one only got looks cause its a slow news day.

8. Default Re: Thunder fan starts petition to change Durant, OK to Westbrook, OK

I've always been told by locals in the area that it's pronounced Dew-rant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    In a state that votes as it does, can pure silliness really surprise anyone?
    And how does it vote, chief?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    And how does it vote, chief?
    From your post, it appears you already know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Absolutely hilarious. Lighten up people.
    Like you, I can appreciate a good laugh. It has to be a highly symbolic gesture that doesn't pass its own litness test.

As if we named an Oklahoma town after Kevin Durant--give us all a break; Durant, Oklahoma doesn't deserve that kind of publicity

Dumb.

13. Default Re: Thunder fan starts petition to change Durant, OK to Westbrook, OK

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Like you, I can appreciate a good laugh. It has to be a highly symbolic gesture that doesn't pass its own litness test.

As if we named an Oklahoma town after Kevin Durant--give us all a break; Durant, Oklahoma doesn't deserve that kind of publicity
    Reminds me of when PETA wanted to change the name Slaughterville 10 or so years ago, because of the name without knowing any history or lore of the name.

If we had a thread for every stupid change.org petition.................

This only caught people's attention because it involves the Thunder.

As if this couldn't be more ridiculous, the guy who started the petition isn't even from Durant.

Thread Information