15 62.50%
  • Yes, for more than one year.

9 37.50%
  • No.

0 0%
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Thunder 2016 off-season news

Default Re: OKC Thunder 2016 off-season news

I wouldn't have a problem with KD leaving but for the 2 years before he left the rhetoric he kept saying.... He was on the 3rd best team and instead of believing in himself to take his team over the top, he jumped ship to a better team.
    KD could have closed out GSW at home but choked the game away going 10-31

KD did okc no favors if he actually wanted to help us he could have done a sign and trade, but instead he chose the route which allows him to get the most cash the 1-1.

Will probably get ripped for this but i have more respect in the man who makes $40k and volunteers at the soup kitchen every saturday than a person who donates tons of cash when the cameras are around.

KD isn't too fond of the media, here in okc he was protected, not sure he will be that protected out in the bay area.

I am not ready to crown the warriors the champs so quickly, with KD's jones fracture and Curry's ankles along with Green's attitude you never know what the playoffs will look like.

I suppose I'm fortunate in that I haven't seen any OKC people burn jerseys. I saw one guy who burned what looked like a KD shirt (not an authentic jersey), but didn't think anything of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Ugh, sorry if I seem negative, but I think some don't realize that OKC just went from contending for titles annually to, well, not. Those days are over. Without KD there's no path to a title anymore. It's just a really surprising and dramatic fall...

I still am looking forward to supporting the team that reps OKC this season.
    Pretty sure we all realize that and that's why you're seeing the reaction you're seeing.

Just caught up on the news and this has to be the saddest one of all

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/105...durant-s-house

I suppose any PR is good PR, right?

I think the Free Agent thing is too difficult to asses at this moment. OKC has been unique as a franchise since its inception and there have been a variety of snares that put OKC in bad positions with these free agents. And unfortunately due to Kevin's dicking around (seems like it was on purpose now that we know his end decision...why not wait and completely undermine the only team who could possibly compete with you if they found some serviceable replacements by ensuring this replacements sign elsewhere) we have no way to find that out this season before Russ hits free agency.

Steven Adams will have to be something more special than anyone ever thought he would be and we'll have to shore up at Power Forward if we're gonna compete this season.

But part of me says just blow it up and start again.

You need to blow it up, warriors will dominate for 4-5 years, develop some young talent in the mean time.

As a person, KD seems like a great dude. Don't know for sure, but he certainly did some great things.

As a Basketball player: Mad respect. Dude can do things that nobody his size should be able to do. He's really quite amazing.

As an athlete/competitor: he gave it all away. He's gonna have to build from the ground up once he's done with his foray in San Francisco. God help him if Golden State doesn't win. The criticism will make the LeBron stuff from 2011 look like a mom talking to her 3-month-old. And nobody will impressed by a championship if they don't tear through the entire league.

Unfortunately, I think this puts the league in a tough place.

My dream would be to trade Russ for a ton of draft picks and quality role players and then he come back next year in Free Agency with a full cabinet for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    um the best free agent signing in Oklahoma City history is Peja Stojakovic.

the best free agent signing of the thunder might be livingston, but clearly we gave up on him way too early.
    Realistically, our best free agent signings were probably Derek Fisher and Caron Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    As a person, KD seems like a great dude. Don't know for sure, but he certainly did some great things.

As a Basketball player: Mad respect. Dude can do things that nobody his size should be able to do. He's really quite amazing.

As an athlete/competitor: he gave it all away. He's gonna have to build from the ground up once he's done with his foray in San Francisco. God help him if Golden State doesn't win. The criticism will make the LeBron stuff from 2011 look like a mom talking to her 3-month-old. And nobody will impressed by a championship if they don't tear through the entire league.

Unfortunately, I think this puts the league in a tough place.
    Puts the league in a horrible place. What exactly is the point of any game next year sans the finals?

If Russ wants to stay, you absolutely don't trade him unless you have major doubt as to his long term commitment. We have a lot of young talent and can build around Westbrook with it. If he wants to leave, trade him. We've built a good supporting cast though, no reason to completely blow it up yet when we still have one superstar level player. This sucks, no doubt, but all the overly dramatic talk of the Thunder's future of irrelevance is premature.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    If Russ wants to stay, you absolutely don't trade him unless you have major doubt as to his long term commitment. We have a lot of young talent and can build around Westbrook with it. If he wants to leave, trade him. We've built a good supporting cast though, no reason to completely blow it up yet when we still have one superstar level player. This sucks, no doubt, but all the overly dramatic talk of the Thunder's future of irrelevance is premature.
    It's gone from we aren't winning titles anytime soon (fair), to like this is the end of the franchise and were moving back to Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Lol. Without KD, OKC absolutely played like a second tier team. Check their record.

And that's the other problem - OKC couldn't attract free agents with KD. Free agents aren't coming here without him. Our best free agent in OKC history is Nenad Krstic. OKC won't be able to attract anyone now... It's the new reality.

I'm not trying to be overly negative, but I don't think a lot of people realize OKC may trade Russ and tank. We could be a bottom dweller for a few years...
    No one wants to sign in OKC because no one wants to live in OKC. The city has nothing to offer for a lot of these players. I mean seriously. You're a guy making a lot of money. OKC ranks right with Amarillo for cities most would consider living in. That's the cold hard truth dude.

Right now it is a boring ass city. It is getting better, but man I could hardly stand being there for over a week when I was last there. Everytime I come back, I come with open arms ready to hug and hoping it gets better. The place never seems to change. No matter how much new development happens, it's still a stagnated city. Hopefully that changes when I come back in September.

Quite honestly, I think this is hilarious that Durant left OKC. It doesn't bother me one bit. I think this will have very little impact on the city other than a few people's emotions. He existed before the Thunder and the fact people were saying "I love you please stay" to "get the f#ck out" is hilarious and sad at the same time. Why is this such a big deal? It's literally people trying to throw a ball through a circle. Like I get it helps with recognition, but people freaking out on Facebook, posting Youtube videos, yelling at people on the streets. I don't understand it.

OKC will definitely have trouble attracting free agents. Not just because of what OKC has to offer (or doesn't), but because it's hard for any mediocre team to attract free agents. If they blow it up and trade Westbrook, that's what OKC becomes, a sub mediocre team. They become a Wolves, Hornets or Suns tier team.

Hell, the Lakers and Knicks couldn't attract top level free agent talent because of how bad they are. They are having to build through draft picks and trades.

Now New York is a bit of a destination for free agents thanks to the Rose trade and having Melo. They've improved.

Lakers couldn't get anyone.

Look at the Mavs. Couldn't get Howard, LMA, Melo, Lebron, etc.

I do think OKC has its lack of things to do, national perception, etc going against, but being a below mediocre team will be the biggest blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    No one wants to sign in OKC because no one wants to live in OKC. The city has nothing to offer for a lot of these players. I mean seriously. You're a guy making a lot of money. OKC ranks right with Amarillo for cities most would consider living in. That's the cold hard truth dude.

Right now it is a boring ass city. It is getting better, but man I could hardly stand being there for over a week when I was last there. Everytime I come back, I come with open arms ready to hug and hoping it gets better. The place never seems to change. No matter how much new development happens, it's still a stagnated city. Hopefully that changes when I come back in September.

Quite honestly, I think this is hilarious that Durant left OKC. It doesn't bother me one bit. I think this will have very little impact on the city other than a few people's emotions. He existed before the Thunder and the fact people were saying "I love you please stay" to "get the f#ck out" is hilarious and sad at the same time. Why is this such a big deal? It's literally people trying to throw a ball through a circle. Like I get it helps with recognition, but people freaking out on Facebook, posting Youtube videos, yelling at people on the streets. I don't understand it.
    Why do you bother to participate here? It makes no sense to me.

Presti is in a tough spot. Durant's gone with nothing to show for it. Presti's busy getting a serious read on Westbrook. Trade now and you get a boat load of draft picks or players. Wait and take a chance he won't leave and you potentially lose BOTH of these players with nothing in return.

The pressure will be on for Westbrook to sign early (this summer or before the deadline in January or February). Presti is very smart - he's not going to watch this happen again.

Best story I've read yet on why Durant made the decision he made is from USA Today.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nder/86684632/

I think it's pretty lame to leave for Golden State -- of all teams. The USA Today article seems to indicate Durant's had his eye on Golden State for a couple of years. It also seems to say Durant really wanted to go to the GSW but was concerned about the PR blowback.

Up 3 games to 1 and to watch KD dribble off his shoe like a high schooler, shoot terribly, a laziness on defense. Remember, OKC wins and the GSW dream is gone for Durant. The NBA can really make you cynical. But Sam Presti? He's brilliant and I have faith they will figure this out. Can you imagine a Thunder-Warriors WCF next year? And the Thunder WIN? PR blowback becomes PR humiliation. At this point, honestly, I would LOVE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Because if you are like me you love the State but are not afraid to tell it like it is no matter if it hurts. He is right. I am Black, native born Black Oklahoman and I live somewhere else because of the politics, archaic laws, lack of entertainment options for Black people in OKC. The NBA is made up of 75% black players. This is a State where the Gov disrespected the POTUS, a black man, in 2016 you can't buy a cold beer or wine in a grocery store or anything above 3,2 alcohol. What is a rich black guy to do? P. Gasol also let the cat out of the bag when he did not come. If KD could not get other top players to play with him in OKC what other choice did he have?other small markets in OKC category(Memphis, NO) have large African American demographics and if you were black you would know those cities host numerous national events for Black people. SLC, Sacramento, Seattle and even Phoenix are like OKC with small African American populations are how many free agents flock there? Seattle and Phoenix have "other" selling points.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Because if you are like me you love the State but are not afraid to tell it like it is no matter if it hurts. He is right. I am Black, native born Black Oklahoman and I live somewhere else because of the politics, archaic laws, lack of entertainment options for Black people in OKC. The NBA is made up of 75% black players. This is a State where the Gov disrespected the POTUS, a black man, in 2016 you can't buy a cold beer or wine in a grocery store or anything above 3,2 alcohol. What is a rich black guy to do? P. Gasol also let the cat out of the bag when he did not come. If KD could not get other top players to play with him in OKC what other choice did he have?

Your pointless hatred for Oklahoma City is unwelcome and unproductive. I would respectfully ask that you take that hatred elsewhere. I have loved Oklahoma City as my home long before there was a Thunder and will for as long as God grants me breath. Hating it is your prerogative, but I would equally hate having a life so empty that I would get on a message board to proclaim how much I hated that city. I cannot fathom why you participate here.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I am Black, native born Black Oklahoman and I live somewhere else because of the politics, archaic laws, lack of entertainment options for Black people in OKC.
    While I seldom agree with your comments here, I do believe you've hit the nail squarely on the head with this post! The sad fact is that, at one time, we DID have one of the best set of entertainment options for you here -- but it was almost totally segregated and few whites were even aware it existed. One of the most liberating experiences of my young life was discovering "Tony's Place," a BBQ joint/coffeehouse about a block from the old Moon School, which was totally color blind. It was run by Tony and Leah Potts, a pair of young Black twins, and their clientele was totally mixed. It's where I first heard Mason Williams play guitar and sing "Old Bill," became addicted to the strong camp coffee they brewed all night long, and enjoyed chess games with some of the best and craftiest players I ever encountered.

And like all the rest of the original Deep Deuce culture, where Charlie Christian revolutionized the use of the guitar and the "Kansas City Sound" was polished to perfection, it was swept away in the Urban Renewal crazy days of the Sixties. It has never recovered, nor -- with the current politics of our state -- is it likely to do so within my lifetime, or yours. All of us, not just Blacks, whites, yellow, or brown, have much to regret, and much work ahead if we hope to correct things.

Question for PluPan and others sharing his sentiment:

Not that you're right or wrong, but what amenities do you want and NEED that OKC simply doesn't have or provide?

DC already answered: politics, and lack of entertainment areas for black people.

Wow, ok BChris. Maybe you should take your "talents" off this forum if you hate OKC that much. Your participation here, like BChris', doesn't make much sense.

23. Default Re: OKC Thunder 2016 off-season news

It's going to be interesting to see how the city and fans react to the first bit of ~*real*~ adversity this young franchise has had to deal with.

Edit: I was being too personal with my response to this. But seriously, just GTFO.

Have you ever explored OKC at all lately? I have no idea how you assess OKC as stagnant. I suppose you were probably speeding down 23rd too quickly to notice any change.

I think the backlash is so serious because the city has always collectively had a problem with insecurity and identity. Oklahoma is a state of uncertain region: it's not Southern, it's not Midwestern, it's not Texas, and "Southern Plains" doesn't really bring to mind any type of identity beyond a place people moved to because the land was free and it's a good place to be from as you make small talk over lattes in a Pacific Northwestern coffee shop. Drawing an NBA team with top NBA skill was helping to cement the direction the city's identity would take, as living conditions gradually became less boring -- growing up here in the 80s and 90s was as drab as could be -- thanks to MAPS initiatives. It's a blow to the sense of growth and purpose the city has when the basketball demigod for whom the city rolled out the red carpet at all times decides to chase a more certain championship riding the coattails of the superteam that just beat him in the WCF, in a series that by most accounts was blown by Durant himself.

This brings to mind questions as to the nature of his play in the WCF. How was he such a beast throughout the season and the playoffs leading to the WCF, only to play like an amateur against the GSW? I remember thinking during games 6 and 7 that it felt as though I was watching OKC take a dive, and that tinfoil hattery seems a bit less crazy given yesterday's news and the rumors that he's been long eyeing a move to the Bay Area.

I wanna slap every person I see volunteer their semi-literate rants about how the NBA is a business and Durant just made a wise business decision and nobody has a right to be upset. Of course people have a right to be upset; the people of any city love a franchise player that sticks with them and serves as the face of the team and, by proxy, the city that the team represents. Every city wants their Larry Bird, who spends their whole career growing the team and retiring with an honorable legacy. Sticking with the team and city that's invested in you and has faith in your abilities shows integrity, but in my view, KD's ring chase kind of shattered any integrity he feigned over the years with his poorly written tweets.

Granted, I say all this as a casual, reluctant Thunder fan. The Thunder killed hockey in this town, and hockey is my preferred sport, but I'll always root for the home team regardless. And from what I've witnessed, while there's every reason to be disappointed in Durant, there's no reason to be disappointed that Westbrook will take the star role. I find Westbrook to be stronger, more consistent and reliable, and he doesn't break as easily as Durant. Durant's great when he's on, but once shaken even a little, he falls apart; he's great at getting you to the playoffs, and great at losing them for you. I look forward to seeing what Westbrook can do next season.

Thread Information