15 62.50%
  • Yes, for more than one year.

9 37.50%
  • No.

0 0%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Thunder 2016 off-season news

Default Re: OKC Thunder 2016 off-season news

I have mixed feelings about the trade from a basketball standpoint, but I'm fairly optimistic. The emergence of Adams, and KD as a defensive 4, made Serge more expendable, but there are some things that will be tough to replace. Serge not only provided rim protection, but was a great fit for OKC because he stretched the floor as a shooter. As crazy as it seems, Serge led all players (50 attempts minimum) in 3 point percentage in the playoffs at 45%. No one else on OKC even shot at a decent clip. I've seen a lot of OKC fans really undervalue Serge today. He's good and does things that really help the Thunder even if he regressed a little.

On the other side, Victor Oladipo is the two-way, athletic shooting guard a lot of Tbunder fans have wanted. Someone pointed out on Twitter that a Russ, Oladipo, Roberson, KD (YES, I'M ASSUMING HE'S BACK!), Adams defensive lineup must strike fear into opposing teams. The one big problem with Oladipo is that he's not a good shooter. In the Warriors series they really just beat OKC from the 3 point (which KD stated), and now the Thunder are even a worse shooting team. Without Serge stretching the floor, OKC's spacing could be really crunched.

The Thunder also added Domantas Sabonis, the son of the great Arvydas Sabonis. He's a promising prospect, but in the short term, I'm not sure he makes a big difference next year... which could be a really important season if KD signs a one year deal. There won't be any waiting on the rookie if that's the case. Here are great breakdowns of his strengths:

And weaknesses.

The Thunder also got Ersan Ilyasova, but the Thunder could waive him... or he could start at power forward? He's a stretch 4 with some offensive skills. But he's really bad on defense. I have no clue how he fits into all this. I'm trying to think of a way the Thunder could add a power forward, but they don't have many options. Of course, they're going to go small a lot in the playoffs, but they still need a starting power forward.

So, some other implications:
    - Who starts at power forward?!?
    - This means that the Thunder likely don't match any Dion Waiters offers. But they also have leverage with him and Roberson now. They have another option so they don't have to accept a bad deal.
    - Oladipo is a DC guy who is KD seems to like...

In the end, I have mixed feelings about the trade, but I hope it works out.

And on a personal note, I'll miss Serge. He's been a great professional, citizen, and representative of OKC for his entire career. I hope he does well in Orlando.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Wow... I am sad to see Ibaka go, but OKC won that trade easily. Another stretch 4 and a solid wing player that will likely start.
    Agree,

This was a very good trade. Oladipo will keep the pressure on at point guard; good trade that provides the Thunder with an insurance piece in case Waiters goes elsewhere.

3. Default Re: OKC Thunder 2016 off-season news

See you Serge. Thanks for the memories and thanks for repping OKC with class. Hardest trade for me yet, by a long shot. But on paper it's a good one.

Ersan can also shoot from 3. I'm hoping we stick Kanter in there and go double bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    See you Serge. Thanks for the memories and thanks for repping OKC with class. Hardest trade for me yet, by a long shot. But on paper it's a good one.
    I'll never forget when the Thunder traded Jeff Green. Even though I'd been an NBA fan my whole life, I'd never really followed a pro team so closely and I really felt bad for Green. Serge was a great representative for OKC. I hope he does well in Orlando.

Well, now some stories are leaking out that Serge wanted out... I noticed some little things this season, but wouldn't have figured that the Thunder would feel a need to trade him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/th...-ibakas-bluff/

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Ersan can also shoot from 3.
    Definitely going to be interesting to see how the Thunder use Ilyasova if they don't buy him out. He's definitely a good shooter, but not a great defender. He'll go compliment Adams a lot better than Kanter.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I agree with this. I loved Serge and really hope Orlando is a good spot for him.

Blog Entries

Wish Serge the best!

Against, the rest of the league . . .

From Serge's Instagram:

sergeibaka9Time flies. 7 years in Oklahoma City, a place where I grew up, became the player I am today, competed with a great team and made great friends. A place I can call home. Thank you state of Oklahoma and your wonderful people. Thank you @okcthunder, staff, employees, teammates and fans. You will be in my heart forever.

Sad to see him go. Hard not to be a fan favorite.

The production we got out of him the year before his contrat for the amount of money we paid him was straight up criminal.

He's a very good player and if were not for Adams, this trade would have never happened. People are saying OKC definitely won this trade, and I think OKC made a great move. That doesn't necessarily mean that Orlando made a bad 1.

The biggest reason that I think this is a great move is because Serge is unrestricted next year and Oladipo is restricted. So the Thunder aren't going to have to try and recover in Free Agency if the player is not going to remain. Free Agency is the biggest area that Presti/OKC has struggled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Sad to see him go. Hard not to be a fan favorite.

The production we got out of him the year before his contrat for the amount of money we paid him was straight up criminal.

He's a very good player and if were not for Adams, this trade would have never happened. People are saying OKC definitely won this trade, and I think OKC made a great move. That doesn't necessarily mean that Orlando made a bad 1.

The biggest reason that I think this is a great move is because Serge is unrestricted next year and Oladipo is restricted. So the Thunder aren't going to have to try and recover in Free Agency if the player is not going to remain. Free Agency is the biggest area that Presti/OKC has struggled in.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find an Magic fan that liked that trade, but I get your point.

Blog Entries

How Kevin Durant could make an extra $100 million by signing a 1-year contract

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/2...ors?yptr=yahoo

Blog Entries

Report: Thunder trying to open cap space to make room for Al Horford

http://clutchpoints.com/report-thund...or-al-horford/

Billy Donovan use to coach Al Horflord - Power Forward; Ibaka's position.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...al-horford-too

Things are still pointing positively for KD to at least sign a one year deal... But if the Thunder pulled off Horford it would be unreal. Horford is the second best free agent to KD and would be a fantastic fit. The Thunder would have to get rid of Kanter and Waiters among others... Obviously, it's a long shot, but it's fun to think about.

I really like Kanter, but I also like Horford (usually cheer for Hawks in east). Sick starting line up if they pull it off.

What I would like to see if KD sign a one year with a one year option and waive the second year and sign a long term contract for less than max money. I know that won't happen because he will be offered max on both deals and will take it, but about every other major player has sacrificed themselves, financially, for the team to make everything work. RW gave up about $15 million when he could have made more under the Rose rule, Ibaka could have gotten more that $12 million/year back in 2012. Collison signed a front loaded contract in 2010 for $13.3 million for the first year but only $3.7MM per year from 2011-2014, knowing OKC had to resign RW, KD, Serge, Harden and Jeff Green through out that time frame. Jackson and Harden were not willing to sacrifice financially for the team so Presti sent them packing. RW and Collison are the only players who's contracts expires next season without a team or player option. CO, Adams, Roberson, Payne, McGary and Huestis all have options with VO, Adams and Roberson as restricted FA. RW, VO and Adams are all integral parts of the team and KD leaving money on the table to keep the team together would bode well for moral and what he is willing to give up for others. Again, not going to happen, but it would look really good and set a precedent for the following year if he did.

First, KD did sacrifice on his first contract by not including a player opt-out for his 5th year, which was significant. Second, I don't think KD should be expected to "sacrifice" at all. If there was a real free market then KD could probably command more than $50 million a year. Which people on this board "sacrifice" for their company? I'm just not a fan of the logic personally, especially when the CBA is so owner-centric.

But if KD wanted to do it... Yeah, it's help.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    First, KD did sacrifice on his first contract by not including a player opt-out for his 5th year, which was significant. Second, I don't think KD should be expected to "sacrifice" at all. If there was a real free market then KD could probably command more than $50 million a year. Which people on this board "sacrifice" for their company? I'm just not a fan of the logic personally, especially when the CBA is so owner-centric.

But if KD wanted to do it... Yeah, it's help.
    I didn't take into consideration his non=player option for this past year. Not sure if it would have done much since he would have probably done the same thing this year considering the cap is going up.

Not sure who on this board sacrifices for their company, but most don't make millions of dollars every year.

Still not sure why KD, and not owners, should sacrifice. KD is already dramatically underpaid. I just don't think it's fair to ask him to fix the cap system the owners created... That's what owners wanted though - players sacrificing money they deserve. KD deserves every penny he can get. If he wants to take a discount, great... But their shouldn't be pressure or obligation at all in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Still not sure why KD, and not owners, should sacrifice. KD is already dramatically underpaid. I just don't think it's fair to ask him to fix the cap system the owners created... That's what owners wanted though - players sacrificing money they deserve. KD deserves every penny he can get. If he wants to take a discount, great... But their shouldn't be pressure or obligation at all in my opinion.
    Not arguing that, just wishing, that's all. When LeBron went to Miami, he, Bosh and Wade took a pay cut to play together and win championships. That is the only thing I ever appreciated about that decision. He left money on the table to put together a supporting cast and win a couple of championships.

Now, back to Thunder off season news. Not sure how I feel about getting rid of Kanter to get Horford. Kanter is 24 years old and averaged 13pts and 8 rebs in 21 minutes. Horford is 30 and averaged 15 & 7 in 32 minutes. I know he is significantly better on defense, but the upside of Adams and Kanter in the post is very appealing.

I just would hate to see KD in the same position Lebron is in right now: Cleveland is already over the cap just lost Mozgov and JR Smith is next (they can't even offer him $10M/year, and JR Smith will easily bring $15M/year for 3 years). The only reason that roster wins Home Court is because of Lebron James. Losing JR Smith severely depletes their chances of repeating.

If he "leaves money on the table" and takes a 5-year max with OKC right now, that's much easier to avoid, especially if it brings Horford in.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Not arguing that, just wishing, that's all. When LeBron went to Miami, he, Bosh and Wade took a pay cut to play together and win championships. That is the only thing I ever appreciated about that decision. He left money on the table to put together a supporting cast and win a couple of championships.

Now, back to Thunder off season news. Not sure how I feel about getting rid of Kanter to get Horford. Kanter is 24 years old and averaged 13pts and 8 rebs in 21 minutes. Horford is 30 and averaged 15 & 7 in 32 minutes. I know he is significantly better on defense, but the upside of Adams and Kanter in the post is very appealing.
    Kanter will not be on the roster after this season. He simply doesn't fit.

He's 7'0" with slow feet and cannot play power forward for 20+ minutes per game in today's NBA. He's not in OKC's future. We brought him in as insurance against Adams development and because he's a great assett. Tons of teams would love to have them on their team for under $20M/year. But he's not particularly useful to the Thunder.

Bringing in Horford probably wins you at least 2 of the next 4 championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Kanter will not be on the roster after this season. He simply doesn't fit.

He's 7'0" with slow feet and cannot play power forward for 20+ minutes per game in today's NBA. He's not in OKC's future. We brought him in as insurance against Adams development and because he's a great assett. Tons of teams would love to have them on their team for under $20M/year. But he's not particularly useful to the Thunder.

Bringing in Horford probably wins you at least 2 of the next 4 championships.
    Would you start Horford at PF and Adams at Center or would Adams be the backup to Horford?

Horford is dramatically better than Kanter because while Kanter is a very bad defender, Horford is good. Horford is also a way better passer. He is older, but he's a lot better.

In short, the market is a good indicator of value. To get rid of Kanter the Thunder might have to give up an asset. He has very little value on the market even though I think the Thunder used him well and he benefitted the team this season. On the other hand, Horford is sought by half the league.

Given the choice, Horford would be a substantial upgrade to Kanter...

Thread Information