Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

Default U-Haul Gas Mileage?

Renting a 15 foot U-Haul to drive from Portland to Denver. Don't have a ton of stuff but enough that it will be moderately loaded. I will be towing my car on a trailer (I've been living car-free in Denver for a month).

Does anyone know what kind of gas mileage I can expect? Their website says 10, and Google searches on the subject of what a realistic useful payload will do to the fuel economy have turned up dry.

Trip is 1300 miles. I've budgeted so far for worst case scenario of 5mpg (50% of what they advertise) which puts my trip fuel cost around $800, and a best case scenario of 10mpg as advertised which would be around $400.

Any of you have any practical knowledge of what efficiency I can expect?

Default Re: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

The last DIY truck move I made that wasn't in town only was from Tahlequah to Norman in 86. Loaded to the gills 22, or longer, Ryder.
    It's been forever but I think we were in the 7 or better mpg range loaded and closer to 10 going back.

At the time, it was cheaper to take it back than to bring the car along and leave the truck in Norman. And, my lovely and our then baby girl were fam'ing it up in Poteau while a kind neighbor and I knocked out the move.

Another difference that will likely move you down a bit in the mgp area is your terrain v. mine. Except for the first 20 miles and the few miles in the Tiger Mountain area, our move was on fairly flat interstate terrain both ways.

On a recent local move with the same size truck but not towing anything, I got right around 10MPG.

Highway miles are better but then you'll be towing your car... I would guess somewhere around 8-10 MPG.

Ive driven large trucks. No uhauls lately. I believe you will be going up and down some hills. I would plan on 5-10 mpg. It'll depend if you have a head or tail wind, how fast you drive, amount of weight, motor/transmission in the truck. Just Plan on the 5 mpg, if you get better, then be happy.

You don't mention whether the trucks motor is gas or diesel. If it's diesel, the towing will probably only cost half the MPGs it would if towing with a gas truck. IE: 2-3 mpgs vs 4-5mpgs. And if you have the option to rent a diesel version of a similarly priced truck go for it

Sorry it's a gas motor.

The max towing speed for the auto trailer is 55 mph, so no faster than that.

8. Default Re: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

You probably already know this, but I am going to say it anyway, don't go the scenic route. Try to take the flattest most boringest route possible. Will save on gas mileage and headaches. It has been known to snow as late as July 4th in the Colorado Rockies and even in the best conditions trying to pull a Uhaul with car in tow up and down steep inclines with turns is something that will cause a lot of stress and demands a lot of patience. (Born and raised in Denver)

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    You probably already know this, but I am going to say it anyway, don't go the scenic route. Try to take the flattest most boringest route possible. Will save on gas mileage and headaches. It has been known to snow as late as July 4th in the Colorado Rockies and even in the best conditions trying to pull a Uhaul with car in tow up and down steep inclines with turns is something that will cause a lot of stress and demands a lot of patience. (Born and raised in Denver)
    Going the direct route, Wyoming and drop down south. Same route as when I moved to Portland.

Sidebar: How is portland, and any particular reason you're moving from one trendy place to another?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Sidebar: How is portland, and any particular reason you're moving from one trendy place to another?
    I didn't care for it one bit. Once I fly back in a few weeks to pack my U-Haul hopefully will be the last time I am ever in that city.

12. Default Re: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

Just another suggestion, in my DIY moves I have found Penske trucks to be a much better choice as far as condition and maintenance. And I have always found them to be competitive in pricing and have good customer service. I feel like most people don't remember that there's some choice out there when it comes to truck rental and Penske is great.

Adding my 2 cents. 4 years ago I moved a good bit of household goods from South Carolina to Oklahoma and towed a car behind the truck. I found BUDGET to be the most competitive in pricing as well as offering the diesel option. Just keep in mind to refuel at trucker places as it is a bear negotiating pump areas at convenience stores.

U-Haul and gas mileage is an oxymoron

Just completed my move yesterday, and updating this thread just in the event that someone googles this question and stumbles upon the page.

The truck was a 17 foot, automatic auto-gas (not diesel). We pulled my Volvo S40 on a 4-wheel auto transport. I never had the chance to weigh the entire thing, but I wish I did. In any case, the vehicle wasn't fully loaded, maybe 1/3 loaded on the inside, (smallest truck they had available that could tow a car).

I drove 1,288 miles, and consumed 140.045 gallons at a total cost of $324.12, which came in way under my budget of $850 for fuel in a worst case scenario. My average fuel price was $2.314/gal.

The grand MPG was 9.197 MPG, the best MPG I had was from Portland to Pendleton, at 9.92 MPG, and the worst from Rock Springs WY to Laramie WY at 8.69 MPG. Some long and steep hills on that stretch.

Day 1:
    Portland to Pendleton, OR; 19.734 gallons, 9.92 MPG, +1381 Ft Net Elev Change
    Pendleton to Boise ID, 24.189 gal, 8.93 MPG, +1317

Day 2:
    Boise to Burley ID, 17.655 gal, 8.84 MPG, +1419
    Burley to Ogden UT, 15.493 gal, 9.17 MPG, +141
    Ogden to Rock Springs WY, 19.919 gal, 8.79 MPG, +1950

Day 3:
    Rock Springs to Laramie, 23.819 gal, 8.69 MPG, +917
    Laramie to Denver, 19.236 gal, 9.35 MPG, -1800 ft

I love data and numbers as you guys can see. I hope someone finds this info useful if you are doing a long distance move and need some budgeting guidance.

16. Default Re: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

Best of luck to you in Denver.

How fast did you drive?

Average speed was 58 mph.

The trailer is placarded to 55mph Max, but I have a friend who works at a U-Haul franchise and he told me that's required placard, but they are regularly hauled (even by U-Haul staff) upwards of 80mph with no issues and no way to prove if you went faster than the placard instructs. To play it on the safe side my max speed was 65 on some very flat open stretches, but the bulk of the driving was around 55-60mph.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Best of luck to you in Denver.
    Thanks! I've been working in Denver since the first week of May. I love it so far. Much better than Portland. Just now moved my girlfriend, dog, and all of our stuff down as our lease ended in Portland. So we are in one place again. That's good.

Impressive. Enjoy your new home.

21. Default Re: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

Are you working at DIA catch? I was born and raised in Denver, it is much different than when I lived there in 97 but if you need to know some cool places to go...

Are you working at DIA catch? I was born and raised in Denver, it is much different than when I lived there in 97 but if you need to know some cool places to go...
    Yes I am at DIA. I love it so far.

Interested to hear your go to spot as I haven't done much exploring yet. Thanks!

23. Default Re: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yes I am at DIA. I love it so far.

Interested to hear your go to spot as I haven't done much exploring yet. Thanks!
    What side of town do you live in? I was mostly in the SW suburbs (Littleton/Chatfield/Columbine area) and Golden. The best place in downtown is Wynkoop Brewery. A three (4?) story building with a brewery, pool hall, and comedy club in the basement. Legend is that one of the brew masters opened Coaches and the original offerings that Coaches used to have were the same or close to the same recipes that Wynkoop has. Railyard Ale was my favorite beer there. Golden has a brewery called Golden City brewery that has excellent beers as well,

What side of town do you live in? I was mostly in the SW suburbs (Littleton/Chatfield/Columbine area) and Golden. The best place in downtown is Wynkoop Brewery. A three (4?) story building with a brewery, pool hall, and comedy club in the basement. Legend is that one of the brew masters opened Coaches and the original offerings that Coaches used to have were the same or close to the same recipes that Wynkoop has. Railyard Ale was my favorite beer there. Golden has a brewery called Golden City brewery that has excellent beers as well,
    Is theat the place that has the rocky mountain oyster (bull testicles) stout?

25. Default Re: U-Haul Gas Mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Is theat the place that has the rocky mountain oyster (bull testicles) stout?
    Wynkoop, yes.

Thread Information