Widgets Magazine

Thread: 2016 Women's Softball World's Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2016 Women's Softball World's Series

While most local interest is on the OU women's team, this is an interesting side issue.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5501460

For the first time in the event's 34-year history, or any NCAA Championship, beer and wine will be available for purchase by the general public throughout the weeklong event.

The proposal, passed in January by the Division I Board of Directors, was granted on a one-year basis. The NCAA plans to work with local law enforcement to monitor alcohol-related incidents and then compare statistics to previous years in hopes that stadium sales will curb fans sneaking alcohol into the venue and prevent binge drinking incidents before game time.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: 2016 Women's Softball World's Series

Future: OGE Energy Field at the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium (4 phase expansion) will have the capacity to host crowds of 13,000 once the 4,200 upper deck seats are added in 2018 or 2019.

The summer heat at Hall of Fame Stadium definitely was a factor in this pilot of beer & wine sales (additional revenue) at this annual event. The NCAA will keep its Division I softball championship tournament in Oklahoma City through 2020 and likely will extend the deal through 2035 provided some benchmarks are met.

Hall of Fame Stadium improvements will total $20 million of public money from bond issues, some from private philanthropic sources and some from naming-rights fees (OGE Energy Field at the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium).

According to Tim Brassfield (All Sports Association), the economic benefit of the WCWS is estimated at $12 million to $15 million for Oklahoma City adding that there are benefits beyond money, too.

The NCAA wants a long term commitment because this event has been a success here for a long time. Expansion and improvement plans call for a triple-deck seating structure that will add as many as 6,000 permanent seats along with a new press box. The above pic is what OGE Energy Field at the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium should look when all the four-phase renovations are completed in 2019.

Default Re: 2016 Women's Softball World's Series

The Sooners are still on a roll by winning their 29th straight game 7 - 5 over number 2 Michigan. They only need one win now to advance to the finals.

Congrats to the Sooners. After a 7 -3 win tonight over LSU, they are into the finals against Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Congrats to the Sooners. After a 7 -3 win tonight over LSU, they are into the finals against Auburn.
    I've watched several games and really enjoyed. This OU team is fun. Hopefully, OU fans roll out for the championship series. I'm sure they will, it look like a lot of the OU games have been packed.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    While most local interest is on the OU women's team, this is an interesting side issue.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5501460
    They have done away with alcohol sales at NCAA mens basketball tourney events but allow this? Whats with that?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    They have done away with alcohol sales at NCAA mens basketball tourney events but allow this? Whats with that?
    Beer sales have never been allowed at NCAA championship events.
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/ar...eball-softball
    Jan 20, 2016 14:58 EST

Beer and wine will be sold this year in general seating at the College World Series and Women’s College World Series through a one-year pilot program, the Division I Board of Directors decided last week.

This year’s events will mark the first time alcohol will be available to the general public at an NCAA championship. In order to approve the pilot program, the board members waived the rule prohibiting such sales at Division I championships.

Both TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska, home of the College World Series, and the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, which hosts the Women’s College World Series, were selected because each venue has hosted NCAA championships for some time, and the staffs at those events are familiar with Association policies.

As far as March Madness, concerning the venues leading up to the final four, it is up to the neutral sites whether they sell beer or not.
    The Sprint Center offers cold ones for sale during the Big 12 BB tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Beer sales have never been allowed at NCAA championship events.
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/ar...eball-softball
    Jan 20, 2016 14:58 EST

Beer and wine will be sold this year in general seating at the College World Series and Women’s College World Series through a one-year pilot program, the Division I Board of Directors decided last week.

This year’s events will mark the first time alcohol will be available to the general public at an NCAA championship. In order to approve the pilot program, the board members waived the rule prohibiting such sales at Division I championships.

Both TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska, home of the College World Series, and the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, which hosts the Women’s College World Series, were selected because each venue has hosted NCAA championships for some time, and the staffs at those events are familiar with Association policies.

As far as March Madness, concerning the venues leading up to the final four, it is up to the neutral sites whether they sell beer or not.
    The Sprint Center offers cold ones for sale during the Big 12 BB tournament
    I dont believe thats the case. The NCAA made the change to no alcohol at regional sites a few years back. Because why wouldnt the sites and arenas sell beer? Its more money in concessions, of course they would do it if they could. Conference based games and tourneys are different.

Pretty much all the games in the series -- even those without OU -- have been sold out.

Getting tickets for these next 3 games will be difficult.

OU only needs one win out of the next two games now for the championship after a victory tonight over Auburn.

Blog Entries

Exciting 3-2 victory over Auburn to fend off a rally by the visiting Lady Tigers in top of the 7th & final ending in which Auburn had two base runners with one out.

Leading 3-0 going into the 7th, Oklahoma saw Auburn cut the OU lead to one on a 2-run home run by Jade Rhodes.

The Tigers threatened to tie or take the lead, but with a runner at third base, Auburn’s Courtney Shea grounded a ball to Shay Knighten, who threw home to catcher Lea Wodach, who tagged Pinch-runner Casey McCrackin in time for the second out of the inning.

• T7 Auburn is rallying. Paige Parker walks Auburn's Carlee Wallace to begin the seventh. Jade Rhodes cuts the Sooner lead to 3-2 with a two-run homer. Haley ***an gets a single. Madi Gipson strikes out swinging for the first out.

• T7 Paige Parker picks up Whitney Jordan's ground ball, but a wild throw to first base puts Auburn runners on second and third. Pinch-runner Casey McCrackin attempted to score the game-tying run on a fielder's choice from Courtney Shea, but was tagged out at the plate. The final out comes on a pop up from Tiffany Howard.
    Rewinding Auburn's loss to Oklahoma in Game 1 of WCWS championship http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...lahoma_in.html

The Sooners are on an amazing run. Softball can be VERY stressful to watch when the games are close. Hope our Sooners just run-rule 'em tonight. These 7th inning rallies arentoo much.

Blog Entries

2016 WCWS National Championship for the University of Oklahoma Sooners

Oklahoma Sooner defeat the Auburn Tiger 2 - 1 to win the National Championship in the Women's College World Series championship game at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City.

Patty Gasso (head coach) led the OU women's softball Sooners to their 3rd National Championship (2000, 2012, 2016).

The game was nationally televised by ESPN.

Such a fun sport to watch and OKC supports the series so very well.

I believe every session sold out this time around; even the ones without OU.

That's 3 national championships for OU this school year; reached the finals of another (tennis) and the semis in both football and basketball.

My youngest encouraged me to watch the final game tonight.
    He was at the game last night, courtesy of a friend.

This was the first college softball game I have watched. Indeed, it is the first softball game I've watched at any level since my daughter played on a grade school team in the mid 90's. It will not be my last.

Kudos to the team and their coach. She is only the 4th coach to win 3 NCAA championships, if I read the screen correctly near the end of the broadcast.

It really is a fun event to watch. If I lived in OKC I'd go to a lot of the games.

And it's a fantastic asset for OKC. Cities like OKC can draw niche events with the right commitment. And credit to OKC for pouring resources into two niche sports -- softball and rowing/kayaking.

My son and I had the privilege of going to last night's title game, and it was SO much fun!! The field is so much smaller in person compared to how it look on TV; our seats were on the OU side just beyond 3rd base, and I believe we were maybe 10 rows up from the OU bigwig contingent (Stoops, Joe C, Boren). This was a big deal for the U and the support shown up and down the administration and other sports is just tremendous.

Don't know how many realize it, but Patty Gasso is a tremendous *person* as well as a coach. OU is incredibly fortunate to have such a great *character* person leading these young people not just through softball, but as they transition into life in the "real world" later on. I was incredibly impressed by Gasso's post-game comments, her graciousness and humility, and who she is as a person came out in the quality of respect her players echo for her. Her mantra of having the "freedom to make mistakes" is something just about every coach could learn from.

Great fun. Also the first time I've ever seen OU win a national title in anything in person.

BOOMER!

18. Default Re: 2016 Women's Softball World's Series

If you were to speak with most visitor attractions and also with restaurants and hotels throughout the central part of the city most would probably tell you that it is the single best sports event held in OKC. This is for a number of reasons; it is drawn out more than something like the Big 12 baseball tournament or NCAA basketball. It also draws more families and women, who are more likely to sight-see, shop, visit attractions and the like vs male-heavy-audience sports, which do a great job of filling hotels and bars but not so much the other things.

Probably the number one reason that it is such a great event for the above things is that - while there are perennial team attendees such as Arizona, Oklahoma, UCLA and a few others - each year tends to bring a number of teams who have never been or have not been in years. For them, OKC is a fresh destination, and if they are huge softball fans the ULTIMATE destination. So they see the city with new eyes each year. Contrast that with Big 12 baseball fans for instance, most of whom have been to OKC a number of times over the years. They appreciate it as a destination, but they aren't necessarily looking to go out and cram in as much activity as possible as first-time visitors.

It is a great, great event for our city.

ESPN is reporting that 1.4 MILLION people watched the WCWS finals last night. For a Cable TV audience involving what most would term a "secondary" sport (eg not football or basketball), this is a TREMENDOUS number. Incredible exposure for OU and Oklahoma City.

And as long as we make good-faith progress on stadium enhancements, this little jewel is ours for 20 more years. Wow.

I remember as a kid we drove up to that part of town and saw the stadium being built, and asked one of the workmen there what it was. When he told us it was a softball stadium, I have to admit I asked "Huh???" LIttle did we know What a tremendous investment that was.

I wonder about the time frame for adding the second level of seats, adding suites, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wonder about the time frame for adding the second level of seats, adding suites, etc.?
    The ASA Softball Stadium site indicates the upper deck is supposed to go in either in 2018 or 2019. I think we're fortunate to have gotten the first wave of upgrades in before the energy sector tanked. Hopefully in another year to eighteen months things will improve and they can start looking at funding the next round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ASA Hall of Fame Stadium improvement phrases will include $23 million in the $800 million proposed General Obligation Bond vote in 2017.

In 2017, Oklahomans are expected to vote on a bond issue for upgrades to ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.

A second seating deck would add 4,200 seats to expand total capacity to about 12,200. More renovations would include increased media space, a hospitality area, suites and improved bathrooms and ticket booths.

The stadium, built in 1987, was last updated in 2014 and included new dugouts with restrooms, team meeting rooms and an athletic training area. The proposed improvements moving forward are part of a long-term deal with the NCAA to keep the Women's College World Series in Oklahoma City through 2035 given that $23 million in renovations are completed.
    The bond vote by the City of OKC will also finalize a list of up to $800 million in capital improvements (the General Obligation Bond) to be voted on by the people in the Fall of 2017:

http://newsok.com/article/5502806

Construction could begin July 2018 following the WCWS tournament. The stadium upper deck could be ready for the WCWS 2019 championship series.

https://nextdoor.com/agency-detail/o...oklahoma-city/

Blog Entries

It's my opinion that we have totally underestimated the future impact of the WCWS tournament in OKC's Adventure District. The stadium may need 15,000 permanent seats instead of 13,000 come 2020; we also need to address the parking issue. True, we don't want to expand the stadium where we add too many seats.

The SEC's softball participants have really grown since 1997. 2016 WCWS had 4 (half) from the SEC (Alabama, Auburn, Georgia & LSU), 1 each from the ACC (Florida State), Big 12 (Oklahoma), Pac 12 (UCLA) and Big 10 (Michigan). Major colleges are trying to get to Oklahoma City--the word is getting out.

The bond vote will probably be held in November, the Fall of 2017.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 tournament is moved to a retrofitted Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark to temporarily accommodate the WCWS softball tournament to allow construction to go uninterrupted from 2018 through April 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    It's my opinion that we have totally underestimated the future impact of the WCWS tournament in OKC's Adventure District. The stadium may need 15,000 permanent seats instead of 13,000 come 2020; we also need to address the parking issue. True, we don't want to expand the stadium where we add too many seats.

The SEC's softball participants have really grown since 1997. 2016 WCWS had 4 (half) from the SEC (Alabama, Auburn, Georgia & LSU), 1 each from the ACC (Florida State), Big 12 (Oklahoma), Pac 12 (UCLA) and Big 10 (Michigan). Major colleges are trying to get to Oklahoma City--the word is getting out.

The bond vote will probably be held in November, the Fall of 2017.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 tournament is moved to a retrofitted Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark to temporarily accommodate the WCWS softball tournament to allow construction to go uninterrupted from 2018 through April 2019.
    Hmmm.....interesting idea, but I seriously doubt it. Although ASA HOF stadium hosts many different events through the year, the WCWS is obviously THE crown jewel of the bunch. It goes on for one week, and I think the construction they plan could be done well within one year. Keep in mind such construction isn't the huge project compared to something like the OU stadium expansion - having been out there this week, I could easily see how it's been designed/laid out to allow for a fairly straightforward addition of decks on the east and west sides. I can't see that taking a year. Besides, I just think trying to "retrofit" the BB for softball would be....odd...even temporarily. You'd have to bring in temporary outfield bleachers, but those would cut off view to the scoreboard, and you'd end up cutting off a lot of the 1st and 3rd base seats because the basepaths are so much shorter.

Granted, I attended only one game, but I did not find parking to be an issue. Attendance at the final game was in the neighborhood of 8-9K, and we parked in the main lot and there were plenty of spaces available for $20. There were side/dirt lots for $10, and we got there about 30-40 minutes before the first pitch. Perhaps it was more congested as the game drew closer.

I'm a big fan of not overbuilding seating. I think 10,000 to 12,000 is a good number, but you'd rather have a 10,000 seat sellout than 12,000 attendance with 3,000 empty seats.

Thread Information