Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Major League Soccer in OKC

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

The multipurpose stadium if constructed on city-owned land will allow Oklahoma City to have a 'starter' stadium--nothing fancy, again just the bare bones minimum to meet the USL regulations that will allow OKC to host U.S. Open Cup matches. Taft Stadium soccer field is only 67 yards wide, 3 yards short of the minimum USSF standard to host U.S. Open Cup matches.

Agree with Colbafone, "just make it similar to the college football stadium that Baylor built a few years ago, maybe a little scaled back, and you'd have an incredible facility. "

Build something similar to McLane Stadium, Waco without the upper decks, a smaller upper deck could be added later.

Have a feeling that more will be invested into the stadium once it's constructed and bidding on attractions.

The seating capacity will range from 8,000 - 12,000. Let's hope we can begin with nothing less than 10,000 seats on city own land like the riverfront--since this will be a city-owned facility, the city can build the infrastructure. OKC will eventually need nothing less than a 30k venue to compete for a variety of events.

Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

papa murphys park cost 3 mil to build

it holds over 11k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_Murphy's_Park

we can build a very nice soccer stadium for 37 mil

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    You know that stadium cost Baylor 266 million, gonna have to scale that back more than a little bit.
    Yes I do. And that's sort of my point. Their new stadium is gorgeous. It's huge. It's spacious. It has all the amenities you could want. And it "only" cost them $260 Mil. Imagine OKC coming to the MLS with a stadium very very similar to Baylor's, just toned down/scales back a bit. McLane Stadium seats 45k. I definitely thing for something between $150 and $200 mil we could build an incredible stadium seating something like 25-35k.

I'm just saying, the rendering of the $40 Mil stadium isn't bad, it's just underwhelming for a potential MLS stadium. If they would have just gone for the full thing right off the bat, I think this would have been a home run. I wish we could skip the entire "expandable" step and just go right to legitimate. It's clear it would have passed. What's $100 mil more to the near 70% that approved Maps 4?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    papa murphys park cost 3 mil to build

it holds over 11k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_Murphy's_Park

we can build a very nice soccer stadium for 37 mil
    Bro, I get what you are saying. But if THAT is the stadium we are getting with our maps money, I will be absolutely outraged. That looks like some ****ty high school football stadium out in Sallisaw.

Again, I'd much rather we go big or go home. To me, a $40 mil stadium is a borderline waste of money. It's just not enough to justify building a legit stadium. It's gotta start around $150 or so. Not that it matter now. All we can hope for its a great looking stater stadium and go from there.

It does seem like an actual BLC stadium would cost at least $150MM. Hopefully Funk chips in a few doll hairs to get us into that ballpark.

The stadium where the LA Chargers are currently playing was specifically built for Major League Soccer.

It holds 27K and was built about 15 years ago for $87MM.

Blog Entries

37M divided by 3M is about 12 times. If we can get a stadium ~12x better than that 3M stadium, it would probably be acceptable. Very early days of Ford Center like. Would be even better if Funk would match.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    The stadium where the LA Chargers are currently playing was specifically built for Major League Soccer.

It holds 27K and was built about 15 years ago for $87MM.
    Which would make it something like $140 million today. That stadium is a pretty great quality soccer stadium.

For soccer I would rather have steeper, closer seats than what most football stadiums have. I personally like the seat design found at Audi Field where D.C. United play. I also hope they include safe standing seats behind the goals for supporter sections.

Very good point. Instead of wondering how shiny our stadium will be, we should discuss how we want it.
    Low stand are an issue for a lot of stadium, just like at our lovely ballpark.
    Hopefully, lot of places are starting to realize that.

Blog Entries

Owner, District of Columbia, Operator: D.C. United - Capacity, 20,000 - Construction cost $400 million – $500 million; Broke ground, February 27, 2017 - Opened July 9, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    For soccer I would rather have steeper, closer seats than what most football stadiums have. I personally like the seat design found at Audi Field where D.C. United play. I also hope they include safe standing seats behind the goals for supporter sections.
    Great looking facility.

Blog Entries

Alternative proposal: combine coliseum & multipurpose stadium:

Rodeo & Horse related events, soccer, American football, basketball & ice hockey.

Combine the $63 million for the coliseum with the $37 million for the multipurpose stadium and build a $140-$150 million + covered facility that could be used as a multipurpose dual facility for rodeo events, soccer, American football, basketball & add ice hockey. Remember, the coliseum gets the existing hotel-motel tax; meaning you're probably looking at a $150 million facility combined if its in the middle of the pack to be constructed.

Horse shoe shaped facility U could seat 25,000 for soccer & partition off half the facility to accommodate 8k - 14k for rodeo, basketball & ice hockey.

Surely we could come up with something where half the facility with portable risers--could be used for rodeo, horse show events, basketball & ice hockey and without rises used for soccer or American football. Meanwhile, you'd probably see more development (restaurant & retail) in the area near State Fair Park. Funk could build suites; control all or half the suites revenue.

Annual facility use would increase, you save the horse shows possibly opening up the potential to attract more events; help improve the SFP area by attracting restaurants & retail. City saves on infrastructure; plus a facility that will be used year round. Increased capacity = potential XFL franchise, return of 6A, 5A H.S. football championships.

Operating costs: Hotel & motel tax would increase with the combined added events--kill two birds with one stone.

The penny tax would bring in about $110 million per year; that equivalent to $9.2 million per month.

Go with grass turf or forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Alternative proposal: combine coliseum & multipurpose stadium:

Rodeo & Horse related events, soccer, American football, basketball & ice hockey.

Combine the $63 million for the coliseum with the $37 million for the multipurpose stadium and build a $140-$150 million + covered facility that could be used as a multipurpose dual facility for rodeo events, soccer, American football, basketball & add ice hockey. Remember, the coliseum gets the existing hotel-motel tax; meaning you're probably looking at a $150 million facility combined if its in the middle of the pack to be constructed.

Horse shoe shaped facility U could seat 25,000 for soccer & partition off half the facility to accommodate 8k - 14k for rodeo, basketball & ice hockey.

Surely we could come up with something where half the facility with portable risers--could be used for rodeo, horse show events, basketball & ice hockey and without rises used for soccer or American football. Meanwhile, you'd probably see more development (restaurant & retail) in the area near State Fair Park. Funk could build suites; control all or half the suites revenue.

Annual facility use would increase, you save the horse shows possibly opening up the potential to attract more events; help improve the SFP area by attracting restaurants & retail. City saves on infrastructure; plus a facility that will be used year round. Increased capacity = potential XFL franchise, return of 6A, 5A H.S. football championships.

Operating costs: Hotel & motel tax would increase with the combined added events--kill two birds with one stone.

The penny tax would bring in about $110 million per year; that equivalent to $9.2 million per month.
    Soccer field needs to be natural grass to attract good players. If you have ever watched an Atlanta United game on ESPN their field is trash. Also, I believe there are FIFA rules against indoor fields for certain sanctioned events. My reservation would be the way the State Fair board does business. I would want a lot of their dealings to be opened up.

No thank you. Bad idea to combine the facility. It is the best way to have unsatisfied people on both sides.
    I am glad the Jim Norrick arena will be replaced, but I do not want the stadium in the Sate fair park.
    Somewhere around downtown.
    real grass needed too if we want to be a training camp for the 2026 world cup, and have a good soccer.

Yes, we have some of the world's best turf-grass minds in this State (at OSU) and we may as well allow them to install one of their finest hybrid cultivar Bermudas at Funk Field.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Yes, we have some of the world's best turf-grass minds in this State (at OSU) and we may as well allow them to install one of their finest hybrid cultivar Bermudas at Funk Field.
    true they must be great they do such an amazing job with their own football field ..................... wait something in there isnt correct ...

fyi this is just a joke i am fully aware the the turf mgmt program at OSU is very top notch ( they provide a ton of the best golf course supers in the country) which does make it all the more strange that they dont have a grass football field

Blog Entries

The combination of a stadium-coliseum (mini-dome) would attract more events than OKC could probably handle. As for the natural grass-turf issue--where are we on translucent clear stadium roofs. Again with risers & partitions--we could come up with something unique.

Haven't had a chance to do any research on the new innovative translucent clear stadium roofs; a mini dome 25,000 at State Fair Park would transform this area which has become one of concern for Oklahoma City.

I do understand location; do we want to place the stadium downtown, riverfront, city-own land?

Just wanted to suggest something where we could combine 2 venues into one (allow for growth); also aware of the fact that SFP is equipped to handle the rodeo type events, trailers, u-hauls and equipment associated with rodeo related events.

Strange: The MAPS 4 multiple-use stadium has now become a topic of--why didn't we push for more funding, make it bigger, beautiful--funny how conversations evolve. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    true they must be great they do such an amazing job with their own football field ..................... wait something in there isnt correct ...

fyi this is just a joke i am fully aware the the turf mgmt program at OSU is very top notch ( they provide a ton of the best golf course supers in the country) which does make it all the more strange that they dont have a grass football field
    I have heard the east-west orientation causes areas in the field to not receive any direct sunlight during portions of the year. I have no idea if that is the actual reason for keeping the turf.

OU is currently playing on latitude 36 burmudagrass which was developed at OSU. they do seem to know what they are doing up there.

I would think OSU has the money for grow lights like you see in the Premier League stadiums.

Blog Entries

Interesting article:

You got to love a city that can be interpreted through sports culture, like in Sam Anderson’s Boom Town where he make the case that arrival/theft of the Oklahoma City Thunder continues OKC’s strange, exciting, disturbing, and ugly history. The arrival of a Major League Soccer franchise would continue that legacy and bring OKC deeper into the global stage. FC Dallas would gain another natural rival, and the eventual Kansas City, Dallas, Houston, Austin, and Oklahoma City division would be one of the most difficult in MLS.
    MLS Expansion - Why Oklahoma City Should Be in the Mix: https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2019/4/24...-oklahoma-city Article pre-dates MAPS 4 approval vote.

Sam Anderson's Boom Town:
    The Fantastical Saga of Oklahoma City, Its Chaotic Founding… Its Purloined Basketball Team, and the Dream of Becoming a World-class Metropolis

Book discusses the James Harden era.

Boom Town: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...-sam-anderson/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Interesting article:
    MLS Expansion - Why Oklahoma City Should Be in the Mix: https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2019/4/24...-oklahoma-city Article pre-dates MAPS 4 approval vote.
    From the article:
    OKC and FCD clash with such fervor that the existence of the Red River Rivalry will be forgotten, and in its place, these two clubs’ annual battle, the I-35 Invasion, would capture the imagination and passion of both states.

The article has some good points but let s face it, Fc Dallas is not very popular in the Metroplex so it wont move much crowds either like the Mavs thunder rivalry and even less the red river one.

Blog Entries

I'm not even from here. I just thought it was pretty bold of someone to shrug away a century old rivalry like that...

Blog Entries

OKC's first challenge will be to sustain a USL franchise. MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium if built on City owned land near parking preferable (Core) cotton mill site, Strawberry Fields will afford more dedicated money to the venue itself rather than dedicated support infrastructure like parking. We need a venue primed for expansion.

As for MLS in OKC, the expansion fee is a now $300 million--Charlotte became 30th franchise today. The Energy FC ownership combined doesn't equal or come close to any one of the 8 richest Oklahomans in our state of which more than half own the Thunder.

We'll need to take this one step at a time--beginning with MAPS 4 multipurpose stadium site selection.

Thread Information