Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Major League Soccer in OKC

1. Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

Very interesting article from Deadspin. Echoes a lot of concerns I have about financing a soccer specific stadium to try and get MLS.

http://deadsp.in/P2O77z4

Blog Entries

Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Very interesting article from Deadspin. Echoes a lot of concerns I have about financing a soccer specific stadium to try and get MLS.

Great article:

MLS Business model?:

That business model and this financial trajectory suggests that MLS’s sea of red ink is either a loss leader or a Ponzi scheme, and it’s not always easy to tell the difference between the two until it’s too late. Several sports economists, though, aren’t optimistic.
    More importantly, if you’re an MLS fan or a city considering dropping big bucks on a soccer stadium to lure one of the umpteen new teams: What is the end game here? Can MLS continue to expand indefinitely, or is it a bubble destined to burst?
    Mayor Mick Cornett's earlier response to Oklahoma City financing a soccer specific stadium:

“I would think the city's involvement would be tied to an MLS franchise,” Cornett said. “We wouldn't be building it hoping a franchise might come, we would build if a franchise were coming. Bob is doing all the right things. If the MLS continues to expand toward a maxed-out 32-team league, I think Oklahoma City fits into those plans.”
    http://newsok.com/article/5515660

Cornett does appear slightly favorable to help finance a soccer specific stadium. One good thing about a 20,000 seat MLS soccer specific stadium; it could be used for more events besides MLS soccer. With or without the MLS, a stadium of that size could lure a number of events, concerts, festivals, BMX bicycle & motorbike that could benefit our city.

If the MLS were to exceed 32 franchises--something you don't see among the 4 major leagues (30-MLB, 32-NFL, 30-NBA, 31-NHL), that would add some sharp teeth to worthy cook's DeadSpin article.

3. Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post

Man, that is some damning stuff.

First off, I must say, this probably the most fascinating discussion/thread I've read on this site. I've taken to heart each article posted and shared and enjoy the perspective offered by each article. Very intellectual debate over an MLS s franchise; intrigued by the converse of our market size and what we could support here as well. By the way, there's an article in the Oklahoman about how many nationally televised THUNDER games we have on schedule this year....not to mention we had some of the highest rated televised THUNDER games last season too.

With that said, i would like to drop a variable in the soup that could change the taste of this dialogue a bit. Lets pay attention to what's going on in American sports for a second; the NBA & MLB are not only licking their chops but also positioning themselves to feast on the NFL's lunch right now. Before we discuss the future of the NFL lets just acknowledge the relationship the NFL has with its players right now. It would behoove NFL owners to wise up and cater to the needs and desires of their "employees" and consider the worker bee/ant for a change. But they're just too damn arrogant. They have been the fat cats for so long that they can't even see how this concussion thing has players scared and they have to keep looking over their shoulders to see baseball and NBA players that aren't even the top 10 of their respective positions get paid LOADS more money than them AND THE MONEY IS GUARANTEED TOO? Lol.....how long do you think the lies and effort by the NFL to coverup the issues of concussions will keep that league above water? Guys are not going to keep playing in a league that won't pay them that much money let alone guranteed money AND the owners treat you like crap? And oh by the way the NBA has a commissioner that actually gets along with their players association and is actually proactive and at the forefront of darn near every socially conscious debate these days.

Now, I personally don't think the NFL (forget them trying to be more global through a yawn of a game in London) can truly make a global presence. In fact, the NBA is probably kicking their but in that regard too. And guess what, MLB is years round folks Lol.....these guys just participated in a winter baseball classic.

Finally, lets acknowledge that the #1 sport in the world is soccer. Its not even close. From every single continent besides north America you wont even remotely find a sport that competes with soccer. Couple that with the fact the best athletes won't even be partaking in football in another 10-15 years and you have a process of elimination. Forget the NFL. We already have an NBA team. So what does that leave? MLB and MLS.

We have a thriving Hispanic/Spanish pollution here in OKC. More specifically the US in general. If there's one sport we need to invest in its soccer. The athletes will come, the product will improve, and the more we compete in and win these at this sport during Olympic events the more kids will jump at the chance to be like their favorite athlete and win the gold. Honestly, I think Funk Jr switching up his interest to combine/collaborate with Blair Humphreys in his wheeler district project and to correlate with the construction of Scissortail Park is a phenomenal idea and a stadium on the southside of the river flush with our Hispanic population and around a host of top notch amentinies in our urban core is a gamechanger.

I honestly don't even think the question is whether or not we should shoot for an MLS team or not....I think the real question is whether we get an MLS team first or if one of the failing MLB franchises flirts with us enough to get us in that game too.

I just hope like you guys mentioned we get serious, combine the two soccer leagues we already have and put our best foot forward with a state of the art stadium.....I just hope Funk Jr has the funds to really make some big boy moves with this (I don't know him or anyone close personally so I'm jjust hoping).

I do, however, enjoy this wait and see approach we have sometimes....not all the times but sometimes. If were gonna do it lets do it right and capitalize on the mistakes and shortcomings of other markets around.
    Last edited by OKC_on_mines; 08-22-2017 at 04:17 AM. Reason: I hate auto-correct smh....just exacerbates the grammar issues of a lengthy post like this

I think the future of football and the NFL is going to be really interesting. The NFL is by far the most corrupt and tone deaf league. It's stunning that for all his public lying, lack of regard for the health of players, or his lack of care about violence against women that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the league. It will be interesting to see if the game evolves as more and more players come to believe the health risks are not worth a largely unguaranteed deal. Of course, the NFL is still the most popular league, but to reference Game of Thrones, winter is coming.

I don't think there's any doubt that OKC's best option for a second professional team is in the MLS. I just don't think OKC is even on the radar for MLB and I don't think it could support that many games. I hope MLS happens for OKC, but this thread has raised some important issues about investment and long-term viability.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I think the future of football and the NFL is going to be really interesting. The NFL is by far the most corrupt and tone deaf league. It's stunning that for all his public lying, lack of regard for the health of players, or his lack of care about violence against women that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the league. It will be interesting to see if the game evolves as more and more players come to believe the health risks are not worth a largely unguaranteed deal. Of course, the NFL is still the most popular league, but to reference Game of Thrones, winter is coming.

I don't think there's any doubt that OKC's best option for a second professional team is in the MLS. I just don't think OKC is even on the radar for MLB and I don't think it could support that many games. I hope MLS happens for OKC, but this thread has raised some important issues about investment and long-term viability.
    Not stunning at all. His NUMBER ONE JOB is to make the owners money. And the money has increased mightily in his time as commissioner. The other parts of his job are secondary, in terms of job security. And by secondary, I mean he could fail at every one, like he is, and still get pay raises each year.

I do not see an MLS team coming here anytime soon. A 20,000 seat stadium would not do much for the economy of OKC, as it would be a taxpayer-burden for planning, building, as well as upkeep (since there is no guarantee of an MLS team coming even with the stadium). Just my opinion.

Danrukta

I was talking about you and laramie regarding this topic....you guys have clearly taken the time to research and put forth valuable insight to spark the converse and provoke serious interest. I have no doubt some of the movers and shakers throughout all of OKLAHOMA (both OKC and Tulsa) are listening and paying attention. So this insight is valued sir.

And you nailed it again, the guy is about to get a 5 year extension too???? Give me a break smh

Hey Dankrukta,

I take your advice seriously but I also want to challenge you on the MLB sir. So for me in not only looking at where we are but also where we will be. With all the game changing projects we have going on (particularly those already funded and in progress) I seriously predict our status will improve dramatically. I used to get so upset listening to clowns on espn who don't know my city talk down on us and refer to us as a third world city.....but numbers don't lie. Our national coverage from the Women's college world series and the OKC thunder games are no joke. Specifically when we are slated as a top 5 televised team on broadcaster games coming up this season. The appetite is there. I so wish we could have the streetcar and Scissortail park done by next June (in time for a deep NBA playoff push and another Lady SOONERS softball championship) because that could make for not only better views and camera/drone shots of OUr city but also an all around better experience of OUr city in general.

This said. I have noticed a ton of millenials here. I consistently meet folks from Missouri (St Louis) Kansas , Minneapolis, and countless other cities and states. Dare I say it, this is becoming a place for folks to come live and its cheap too? What? OKC? really?

Dankrukta the new Jones assembly seems to be a major hit here. The entire west village project seems to be a nice hit. The steelyard and criterion additions to bricktown are sure to be a major hit and we don't even need to talk about midtown and its growth and the new foodcourt/food market coming that will surely be a hit there too. I think OKC is looking up sir. The population here will rise and especially more millenials. Even if not now, we couldn't support an MLB team in 5 years? OKC will be an entirely different city by then right?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_on_mines View Post
    Hey Dankrukta,

I take your advice seriously but I also want to challenge you on the MLB sir. So for me in not only looking at where we are but also where we will be. With all the game changing projects we have going on (particularly those already funded and in progress) I seriously predict our status will improve dramatically. I used to get so upset listening to clowns on espn who don't know my city talk down on us and refer to us as a third world city.....but numbers don't lie. Our national coverage from the Women's college world series and the OKC thunder games are no joke. Specifically when we are slated as a top 5 televised team on broadcaster games coming up this season. The appetite is there. I so wish we could have the streetcar and Scissortail park done by next June (in time for a deep NBA playoff push and another Lady SOONERS softball championship) because that could make for not only better views and camera/drone shots of OUr city but also an all around better experience of OUr city in general.

This said. I have noticed a ton of millenials here. I consistently meet folks from Missouri (St Louis) Kansas , Minneapolis, and countless other cities and states. Dare I say it, this is becoming a place for folks to come live and its cheap too? What? OKC? really?

Dankrukta the new Jones assembly seems to be a major hit here. The entire west village project seems to be a nice hit. The steelyard and criterion additions to bricktown are sure to be a major hit and we don't even need to talk about midtown and its growth and the new foodcourt/food market coming that will surely be a hit there too. I think OKC is looking up sir. The population here will rise and especially more millenials. Even if not now, we couldn't support an MLB team in 5 years? OKC will be an entirely different city by then right?
    According to Census estimates, OKC's millenial population (age 20-34) has grown by 14% from 2010-2015, and OKC's educated millenial population (age 25-34 w/Bachelor's or higher) has grown 34% from 2010-2015, compared to OKC's overall growth of 8% in the same time frame.

Blog Entries

Wish for the future time to contribute to these posts. Just released from OU Medical Center; treatment for cancer, underwent a radical robotic prostatectomy. Hope & pray they were able to get the prostate removed before it spread to other areas of my body. Will know more from test results in about a month.

Welcome your prayers...
    Always in my Heart,
    Laramie

Wow,

I'm taken aback right now sir. You are yours are in my prayers. Remember, "This too shall pass."

Thoughts with you, Laramie. Get healthy and back posting here.

OKC has grown a lot in more than just population, but studies suggest cities need a million people per pro sports team to be successful. MLB requires even more fans and that and OKC is already stretched then in terms of corporate partnerships. Add in the amount of support money that goes to college football in the area and I just don't see how the numbers add up. I don't see how a MLB would be doable without another million people in the metro. That could take quite a while. However, I think MLS would require less than that million number and is doable.

Laramie, I really enjoy your posts and wish you a full recovery. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

15. Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Laramie.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Wish for the future time to contribute to these posts. Just released from OU Medical Center; treatment for cancer, underwent a radical robotic prostatectomy. Hope & pray they were able to get the prostate removed before it spread to other areas of my body. Will know more from test results in about a month.

Welcome your prayers...
    Always in my Heart,
    Laramie
    Praying for you. You are a delight on this site.

17. Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

Barring New Downtown Stadium, Columbus Crew Will Move to Austin in 2019

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16...low_twitter_si

18. Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

Are there any updates on OKC's quest to attract an MLS team or has momentum spun out?

Quote Originally Posted by benjico View Post
    Are there any updates on OKC's quest to attract an MLS team or has momentum spun out?
    What’s most likely to happen,

1. We build the stadium at Wheeler park for the energy
    2a. A team in another markets fails and starts looking to relocate
    2b. A team wants a new stadium and threatens to move, okc is named as a relocation candidate
    3. A team relocates here.

4. Energy ownership is included in some future round of expansion once they have a top-flight ready stadium
    5. MLS and USL merge to become MLS 1 and MLS 2 with some form of promotion and relegation. OKC starts in bottom division and has to work their way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    4. Energy ownership is included in some future round of expansion once they have a top-flight ready stadium
    5. MLS and USL merge to become MLS 1 and MLS 2 with some form of promotion and relegation. OKC starts in bottom division and has to work their way up.
    4. I've read that MLS is pretty much done with expansion for a long time. They may purchase a bankrupt team, like if Cinnci fails, but pure expansion I've heard is pretty much done.
    5. This may happen, but I wonder if TV networks would fight it. Lets say the NBA tried promotion and relegation. I think the TV networks would quickly say um hell no, that means the lakers are getting relegated. Too big of brands, eyeballs, and fans to be in lower league. Would TV networks really let the NY Redbulls or LA Galazy off the TV schedule and slip to a lower level in favor of OKC? That's losing a ton of eyeballs....

No way MLS owners would ever vote in favor of relegation.

5. Generally i agree, which is why it's bottom of the list of possibilities. I don't think it's totally-zero-absolutely-no chance, but the chances are incredibly small.

4. I think there's supposed to be one more round of expansion in the next 2-4 years where they want to add another 2 teams. I don't foresee OKC being ready to even make a bid at that point in time.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...s-and-timeline

That's from over a year ago but i haven't seen anything to say that's not still the plan.

I think the best we can hope for here is that USL eventually is the unarguable second tier, and as the league continues to establish itself and grow, more money flows in and there's less of a drop-off in talent between MLS and USL.

i think the MLS will keep expansion going because of the expansion fees. Next year the 2 teams are paying $150 million each. Thats 300 million split btw the owners. Dont have to share that with anyone else.

Thread Information