Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Major League Soccer in OKC

Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

And OKC definitely isn't getting on the radar until it has a soccer-specific stadium... How many of those cities have one or plans in place to build? I'll bet building a quality soccer-specific stadium moves you up the MLS list quick... But, yeah, it's by no means a given OKC would get a team even with one... but I think it's the cities best shot for a second pro team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    And OKC definitely isn't getting on the radar until it has a soccer-specific stadium... How many of those cities have one or plans in place to build? I'll bet building a quality soccer-specific stadium moves you up the MLS list quick... But, yeah, it's by no means a given OKC would get a team even with one... but I think it's the cities best shot for a second pro team.
    We need a plan for 2025 and beyond...

Agree, a soccer specific stadium would increase OKC's chances; it would put them on the MLS radar--with no guarantees.

There are too many cities with better name recognition than OKC. That's why you won't see Tulsa (despite its potential) on the MLS radar.

St. Louis for one, having lost the NFL Rams to Los Angeles is attractive for the MLS to get in and establish its footprint in the midwest--they would be an idea rival for Sporting Kansas City & the newly awarded MLS franchise for Minnesota. We don't have an ice cubed chance in hell to make the expansion round when the league expands to 24 teams.

You'll probably see a second round of expansion post 2020 where MLS adds four more teams (28 league team) by 2024.

Personally, I feel OKC should bypass MLS. Build something with 60,000 seats one or two levels; capable of phase II expansion to 75,000 or 80,000 (with a roof). Establish a college bowl game, some NFL exhibition games, Olympic style track and field qualifying events, bring in OU & OSU to play some neutral site non conference games; bid for the MLS Cup and/or NASL Soccer Bowl; bid for some World Cup soccer events.

We are the crossroads I-35/I-40 interchange of the U.S., there's plenty potential to build this community's future for 2025 and beyond...

Blog Entries

Why MLS’s Expansion to 28 (or 32) Teams is Good for NASL

The NFL has 32 teams and its owners seem quite content with that number. The NFL could easily support more than 32 teams; cities like Columbus, Salt Lake City, Portland, Orlando and Oklahoma City are as NFL caliber as Buffalo, Jacksonville, Kansas City and New Orleans.
    Oklahoma City

MSA Ranking: 42
    MSA Population: 1.3M
    TV Market: 45

Competition: NFL – None. MLB – None. NHL – None. NBA – Thunder

Regional Rivals: Dallas, Houston, Kansas City

Current Soccer Teams: MLS – None. NASL – Rayo OKC. USL – OKC Energy. NPSL / PDL – None.

Pros: Good support for the Energy from the USL fan base.
    Cons: A relatively small market compared to the others on this list, but the MSA is growing almost 7% from 2010 to 2014. Competition in the local market from Rayo OKC. Ownership and stadium are issues.

Outlook: Outside chance. The market has become an unlikely battleground between NASL and USL, and they have supported their USL team well, but it is still a modestly sized market in the southern midwest region of the country where MLS has a strong presence (KC, Texas teams) and a higher expansion priority in St. Louis.

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/01/17/...od-for-nasl-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Current Soccer Teams: MLS – None. NASL – Rayo OKC. USL – OKC Energy. NPSL / PDL – None.
    The Energy has Energy FC U-23 and they play in the PDL.

The U23's are playing really well, top of the table.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDL.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	12735

Since we don't have any real news, I decided to put on my conspiracy theory hat and make up some rumors.

From the Journal Record article in the Chisholm Creek thread:

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post

Dorn estimated his company will have to haul away about 1 million yards of dirt from the hole. But the contract gives the company ownership rights to what’s removed, and Campbell already had another project in mind for the material when the company placed its bid. He would not discuss details on the private development nearby.

Miller said the hole will be large enough to fit six to 10 soccer fields. The city owns the property and will be able to use it for double duty: a recreation park when dry and a detention pond during stormy weather
    The developers, city, and Prodigal got a deal going on. The dirt will be removed and sold to Prodigal to help clean up the soil at the Producers Coop, in exchange Prodigal will help the city via their Fields & Futures Charity and build a public soccer complex at this park where the dirt came from.

Blog Entries

Did they ever disclose who purchased the old Producers COOP Mill site?

Nope... In this thread, Pete speculates it could be the Mazaheri group, but has no solid leads. He also seems to agree with the sentiment in this thread that a MLS-capable stadium (as designed or expandable to those standards) could be in the cards for this site.

I'm sticking with my completely unsubstantiated theory!

Blog Entries

They were originally asking $120 million for this 37 - 43 acre site back in 2010 when they purchased the old Bridgestone/Firestone Dayton Tire factory site (164 acres) back in 2009.

http://www.news9.com/story/12015246/...ktown-possible

It will be of interest to know who purchased this site along with the price tag; what it will cost to clean up this site.

Blog Entries

Funks-McLaughlin (Energy FC ownership) have hinted that they want to build a stadium and bring MLS to OKC once we clear certain benchmarks. They have broken ground on a future state-of-the-art training facility and practice grounds.

“Well, you know as we’ve stated, our goal is to eventually get to the MLS,” Funk Jr. said. “We have several rungs on that ladder to get there. I think it’s just another, the training facility.

"I think it’s just another step to us getting to that, to us showing not only Oklahoma City but the nation and frankly the league, that Oklahoma City is a viable market for MLS in the future. Maybe not now, but we’re taking the appropriate steps to show everybody that we’re here and this can happen in Oklahoma City.”
    Major League Soccer is currently looking at markets that are MLS stadium-ready (18,500-seats or more) or have a stadium that can be expanded and retrofitted. Excluding Salt Lake City, the MLS have cities in the 2 million metro population range on their radar; preferably 40 largest media markets of which OKC ranks 43rd: https://www.tvb.org/Default.aspx?TabID=1579

Oklahoma City currently has about 701,070 TV households; however, OKC does have the name recognition through the NBA which does give us an edge over our neighbors to the NE (Tulsa) with 519,190 TV households.

Tulsa could probably do a better job of supporting MLS than OKC since they don't have an NBA franchise to support.

USL and NASL cities like St. Louis, San Antonio, Sacramento, Indianapolis & Cincinnati are on the MLS current radar along with Minnesota (awarded), Detroit, Atlanta, Austin, San Diego & Cleveland.

Blog Entries

MLS & stadium talk resurfaces:

Tomorrow's (Sunday, 8-28-2016) Oklahoman talks about a local investors group led by Bob Funk Jr., (OKC Energy FC ownership) buying the 37-acre Producers Cooperative plant south of Bricktown. Preliminary plans include housing, retail, parks, fountains, parking and a stadium.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    Funk also is coordinating plans with Fred Mazaheri and hotelier Champ Patel, who last year bought the adjoining former lumberyard with plans to build up to three hotels on the site. He said both sides have agreed to put together a master plan for both properties.

Housing may be done first, with retail and parking to follow. Funk said he will not rush into getting a stadium built.

“We are several years away before we will be in a position to actively pursue a Major League Soccer team,” Funk said. “But it is clear, Oklahoma City's best opportunity to secure a Major League Soccer team leads through the OKC Energy. The sustained success of the OKC Energy has caught the attention of the league, underscoring the receptivity of the market to professional soccer. When we are in a position to earnestly pursue a Major League Soccer team, we are confident we will have a compelling case for Oklahoma City to present.”

“I would think the city's involvement would be tied to an MLS franchise,” Cornett said. “We wouldn't be building it hoping a franchise might come, we would build if a franchise were coming. Bob is doing all the right things. If the MLS continues to expand toward a maxed-out 32-team league, I think Oklahoma City fits into those plans.”
    Glad to know that city leaders and investors are starting to think 'big.' Let's see what happens with the various phases of this development.

“Our investors and development team are avid downtown Oklahoma City enthusiasts,” Funk said. “As we imagine the possibilities of this development, we want to take advantage of how cultural variety and diversity intersect in Oklahoma City's core to create an incredible urban experience offering something for everyone.”

Blog Entries

I like Mayor Mick Cornett's response:

“I would think the city's involvement would be tied to an MLS franchise,” Cornett said. “We wouldn't be building it hoping a franchise might come, we would build if a franchise were coming.
    My question is where would an MLS franchise in OKC play if a stadium wasn't ready--Bricktown Ballpark or Norman for 1 or 2 seasons(?).

Temporary
    MLS solution while a stadium is constructed:

Bricktown Ballpark could possibly hold 15,000 seating capacity (fully restored with temporary expanded seating) for soccer with terrible sight lines; you might create a demand for tickets.

Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium wouldn't have any problem with seating. The feeling of emptiness in an 84,000-seat facility with 20,000 fans (empty upper decks) wouldn't cater to a noisy or intimidating soccer environment.

Would have no problem supporting a new 20,000 plus seat soccer & American football stadium for OKC on the Producer's Coop Mill Site. A north-south field configuration wouldn't open to a scenic skyline view.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryor Tiger View Post
    This is truly going to be a defining decade for OKC. Check out this article from SI- http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...innesota-miami
    ...taken from Producer's Coop thread.

If we're going to build; let's do it the correct way the first time. Get an anchor tenant secured first.

It will take good investors to build the dream (residential, office & hotels) Funk Jr., has planned for this site. If the City is going to be a major financial partner with building a stadium; then secure a franchise first. The current MLS franchise fees are approaching $100 million; about 1/3 of what Bennett & PBC-LLC purchased the NBA Supersonics prior to relocation.

OKC could secure its second big league franchise; MLS ln OKC is not a pipe dream.

Blog Entries

MLS, NASL & USL attendance update as of August 1, 2016:

USL - Oklahoma City Energy FC (5,097)
    NASL - Ray OKC (4,416)
    Combined OKC metro area attendance total [9,513]

Great attendance figures when you consider both teams televise home & away games locally.

MLS, NASL & USL attendance: http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=8192

Looks like OKC is 5th in the USL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Looks like OKC is 5th in the USL.
    Minor league sports can be a good indicator for a town's readiness to move to the next level. It's not necessarily a good or only gauge to use. We thought OKC was better suited for the NHL, instead we got a more suited surprise with the NBA.

Come 2020, there may be a chance for OKC to acquire an MLS franchise through expansion or relocation--more a matter of readiness.

As Danrutka mentioned: "OKC definitely isn't getting on the radar until it has a soccer-specific stadium." A phase I expandable venue (7,000 plus) in the city's core will be a game changer with the quality amenities the area around Taft Stadium doesn't possess.

It looks like Stl is going to build a new downtown soccer stadium and get a MLS team in 2020. Can OKC get one around that time frame also?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It looks like Stl is going to build a new downtown soccer stadium and get a MLS team in 2020. Can OKC get one around that time frame also?
    No. As Bob Funk has said, we are a decade out from getting the stadium.

21. Default Re: Major League Soccer in OKC

Blog Entries

When the PCM site was looked at as an alternative for the convention center the property owners where asking $120 million--far overpriced; then the bid submitted by Funk's group was recently withdrawn.

Funk-McLaughlin wants to built a SSS in the core; there are a lot of inexpensive alternatives than PCM site. They probably have eyes on the 150 acres that encompass the Wheeler District, where they could become apart of a mix-use development as well as achieve a stadium objective. A stadium would need 7 - 10 acres.

It will depend on the success of MLS once they reach 28 teams. If you have 28 solid franchises, you could see expansion add 2 to 4 teams (max., 30-32) or relocation of troubled franchises.

I thought Wheeler had some serious title issues, which would make it rather difficult to develop a soccer stadium. Something about a possibility of reversion in one of the old deeds. If I recall, if alcohol is ever sold on the property (which it surely would be in the case of a stadium), it reverts to the Wheeler heirs and/or assigns.

But perhaps buying those folks out is more realistic than cleaning up the Producers Coop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I thought Wheeler had some serious title issues, which would make it rather difficult to develop a soccer stadium. Something about a possibility of reversion in one of the old deeds. If I recall, if alcohol is ever sold on the property (which it surely would be in the case of a stadium), it reverts to the Wheeler heirs and/or assigns.

But perhaps buying those folks out is more realistic than cleaning up the Producers Coop.
    Don't know if a request like this in a deed would hold water when the property changed hands outside the family; it's not like mineral rights retained when a property is sold.

As for the PCM, we got rid of the smell; now just clear the land of those metal structures--the skyline would look so much better. There's probably enough cash in recycling the metal in those structures to justify the clearing.

Thread Information