Widgets Magazine

Thread: Need Oklahoma food suggestions.

Default Need Oklahoma food suggestions.

I'm looking for suggestions of iconic Oklahoma foods for a gift package. What I really want are things that someone who grew up in Oklahoma and then moved away would miss and love to get as a gift. My restrictions are things that will fit in a box, can be shipped via the USPS, and are relatively inexpensive. Any ideas?

Default Re: Need Oklahoma food suggestions.

Gourmet Gallery at Northpark Mall does stuff like this all the time with MIO products. It's a little pricey, but we've sent "Oklahoma" baskets from here to folks out of state. Good luck!

This may give you a start or overview. http://madeinoklahoma.net/

Depending on recipient, maybe throw in 6 pack of local beer or wine. Not sure if Scwabs does any meat that doesn't have to be refrigerated. Of course, shawnee mill mixes.

Head Country BBQ, Griffins, Watonga Cheese, and Shawnee Mills are popular Oklahoma products. Kaye's baskets on S. Western offers Made in Oklahoma gift baskets at various price points. www.kayesbaskets.com

Watonga Cheese is a Made In Texas product.

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize they had moved the factory.

Neither did I, honestly, until when I was living in Texas I walked into one of those 'Made In Texas' shops and they had Watonga Cheese. I did a double take, then another double take for good measure, and found they had moved there after the factory here was literally taken off the foundation. I remember touring the factory as a wee lad and watching them make the cheese, sad to find out that had happened.

Reno's Sweet & Spicey Pickles are delicious, and made in Oklahoma.

Suan's and Gigi's preserves/jellies are simply amazing. And so are some pickles they sell at Gulfport Seafood and this incredible Caesar Salad dressing you can find at Uptown Grocery. (just my two cents worth . . . =~)

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Watonga Cheese is a Made In Texas product.
    Perryton to be exact. After the building was partially destroyed in Watonga, Perryton recruited them to their city.

Some beef jerky made in Boise City, I think it's called 'No Mans Land', but Homeland carries it.

If Homeland ain't got it, prob'ly Buy fer less 'r Uptown Grocery does . . . I'm not exactly sure where one might find "Authernically Noodled Catfish" except fer Pauls Valley . . . still, a good place to start looking might be Urban Agarian. No kidding, no joke, no snark. (edited to add: The first time I visited Urban Agarian was in search of some elusive pasta. No kidding: the entire experience was sublime.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Perryton to be exact. After the building was partially destroyed in Watonga, Perryton recruited them to their city.
    More information about this from a 2010 article in the Oklahoman: http://newsok.com/article/3514270

Might want to check out the Made In Oklahoma festival this weekend.

http://www.madeinoklahomafestival.com/

I'd ask if I can get a free box to sample...but I can just go to the festival, I'm local. B-)

Thread Information