Widgets Magazine

Thread: Vehicle Dash Cam

Default Vehicle Dash Cam

I've been contemplating mounting a dash cam in my vehicle and have been researching the subject for what seems like forever. I've narrowed my selections down to the BlackVue DR650 and the Lukas 9700. Does anyone have any personal experience with dash cams and have any personal recommendations, pros or cons to having them, or why you have one to begin with?

Default Re: Vehicle Dash Cam

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I've been contemplating mounting a dash cam in my vehicle and have been researching the subject for what seems like forever. I've narrowed my selections down to the BlackVue DR650 and the Lukas 9700. Does anyone have any personal experience with dash cams and have any personal recommendations, pros or cons to having them, or why you have one to begin with?
    I purchased two KDLINKS dash cams (one for my car and one for my wife's car) and they have both worked great. We got them as kind of an insurance policy for other drivers' bad actions, with the final straw being a couple near misses with flying ice following our last ice storm. Additionally, with so many drivers texting and/or driving distracted, it would be further documentation should something happen and there were a he said, she said type issue come up.

I have an older model BlackVue and it is fantastic. The peace of mind while driving is incredibly stress-reducing. I highly recommend everyone to use one and I will never own another vehicle without cameras.

I recommend getting one for the rear too. My buddy had one and he was rear ended. Granted it caught their reaction and you could tell there was a rear end collision cause he was at a stoplight, it still would have been helpful. People just do not care anymore it seems.

5. Default Re: Vehicle Dash Cam

I'm honestly surprised more car makers havent had these as optional installs.

I just use my iPhone, a dash holder and DashCam app.

I have a buddy who just uses his GoPro. The other aformentioned products may not cost as much but if you want to use it for everything else, then it's a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I'm honestly surprised more car makers havent had these as optional installs.

I just use my iPhone, a dash holder and DashCam app.

I bet we'll start seeing them included as standard equipment, but probably in conjunction with level 4 or greater autonomous vehicle operation.

Heck, look how long it took the industry to include trailer wiring connections on pickup trucks as standard equipment.

8. Default Re: Vehicle Dash Cam

I own several of these..... http://www.amazon.com/4Sight-4SK606-...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I've tried several models. I still own a high end one that is usually only installed in police cars. But the 4 Sight above is my favorite.

You get dual rotating lenses and audio. Very easy to use and at a good price. Hard to beat.

^^^ This is the one I decided to get. I've seen them on Ebay brand new for around $80 with free shipping. I like the dual rotating lenses giving the ability to record front and rear out of my pickup from a single unit.

10. Default Re: Vehicle Dash Cam

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ^^^ This is the one I decided to get. I've seen them on Ebay brand new for around $80 with free shipping. I like the dual rotating lenses giving the ability to record front and rear out of my pickup from a single unit.
    Dual lens is also excellent for pointing sideways (out the front driver/passenger windows) if you have someone road raging next to you. I also rotate the lens to point at any officer who pulls me over. Had one stop his little rant at me dead in his tracks when he saw the lens pointed at him. He pretended not to see it and then apologized - saying he'd had a bad day. That alone was worth the price of the dashcam. These are also the perfect dashcam for Uber drivers (gets the road - in case of an accident) and the rear seat passenger (in case of an incident).

Yes, I remembered you describing this cam on another thread. It was a good call, and I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I find it interesting that they only tested the big name brand ones. Most of the Dashcam sites recommend various Chinese made models that are pretty inexpensive.

I have this one and am pretty happy with it. It's super discrete. I have the main body mounted on the tinted part of the windshield around the mirror mount, with the lens poking out just underneath. You can't really see it from the front of the car at all. Haven't had to pull video off it other than to amuse myself, but the quality is good.

This is good stuff. I very much appreciate the suggestions.

Thread Information