Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New license plates on the way

Default Re: New license plates on the way

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I think its major stretch, though factually correct to say we've changed tags pretty frequently. Up until 2009 we had a very simplistic design that all roughly looked the same. Ever since 2009 we've had over graphicised (not a word I don't think) plates that I think most people would agree are hideous.
    I say we do a slight update to 1989 plate and bring it back. Remove the OK! and keep Native America off. Most people in the US know are history with Native American's.

Or to commemorate our newly restored capital, we have that in the center with no other fancy graphics or junk trying to market our state off. With google, there is no need to put a web address on our license plate. People know our state exists and will search for it when they want to travel to our state.

I think its major stretch, though factually correct to say we've changed tags pretty frequently. Up until 2009 we had a very simplistic design that all roughly looked the same. Ever since 2009 we've had over graphicised (not a word I don't think) plates that I think most people would agree are hideous.
    Actually, from around 1915 till about 1979, Oklahoma tags changed every year. Then we went to the designs that ran concurrently for several years at a time.

I guess I'm one of the few that actually really liked the "Sacred Rain Arrow" plate that we had from '09-'16. The graphics weren't overdone but it was still more colorful and visually interesting than the previous plates, and the numbering was still highly visible too due to the plain background behind the numbers. It reminds me of a Texas plate design that I really liked that was in use from 1999-2008 - the one with the space shuttle in the corner:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2004_Texas_license_plate_666_DDW.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	15433

I like license plates that are visually distinct and interesting but still highly visible. Our "Twitter" plate is neither of those. :P

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few that actually really liked the "Sacred Rain Arrow" plate that we had from '09-'16. The graphics weren't overdone but it was still more colorful and visually interesting than the previous plates, and the numbering was still highly visible too due to the plain background behind the numbers. It reminds me of a Texas plate design that I really liked that was in use from 1999-2008 - the one with the space shuttle in the corner:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2004_Texas_license_plate_666_DDW.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	15433

I like license plates that are visually distinct and interesting but still highly visible. Our "Twitter" plate is neither of those. :P
    I loved the "Sacred Rain Arrow" plate. I thought it was very tasteful as license plates go. Then we got the current POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I loved the "Sacred Rain Arrow" plate. I thought it was very tasteful as license plates go. Then we got the current POS.
    Agree on this as well.

Count me in this group as well.

Same. I have the Red Flag plate now and share the same sentiments as the others who’ve mentioned having it.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Same. I have the Red Flag plate now and share the same sentiments as the others who’ve mentioned having it.
    The red flag plate is very cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I looked up the lincense plate history and it is not on there, do you have a picture of it? I do not really remember seeing it....

I agree, they need to go back to that

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    I looked up the lincense plate history and it is not on there, do you have a picture of it? I do not really remember seeing it....
    https://www.reddirtreport.com/red-di...official-motto

Thank you, I do not like red but it looks cool

The 2001 Arizona plate is an example of a beautiful license plate. Oklahoma should design a plate like it or like the Texas one.

14. Default Re: New license plates on the way

I’m glad I won’t have to look at the bird that doesn’t look like a bird. For my own three cars it won’t matter because we have personalized tags on all three. Just replaced one of them and I am impressed now that instead of a form listing your top sic choices for a personalized tag you can order it online and know immediately if your choice is available.

Did you keep both your plates when you bought the new Hyundai? The new law (July 1st) I think say the tag goes with the owner and not the car. So you should take the personalized tag and the scissor tail tag that every car gets?

This would be the best option IMHO. That looks great.

I am willing to pay for a new plate. The current one is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I am willing to pay for a new plate. The current one is a joke.
    Makes me wonder if thats the plan all along. Come out with crappy plate so can easily get approval to change it quickly. How much more money does it cost to get new plate vs keep current one? And who makes that money?

19. Default Re: New license plates on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Did you keep both your plates when you bought the new Hyundai? The new law (July 1st) I think say the tag goes with the owner and not the car. So you should take the personalized tag and the scissor tail tag that every car gets?
    Yes. I kept both.

My son is taking my car since I'm no longer driving. I understand that I keep the tags (which in my case are worthless) but what does my son do until he gets to the tag office?
    C. T.

From the Senate Bill:

4. If a person purchases a motor vehicle from which the number
    plates have been removed pursuant to this section, the person may
    operate the motor vehicle for five (5) days from the date of
    purchase without number plates if a dated notarized bill of sale is
    carried in the motor vehicle.
    B. 1. The new owner of a motor vehicle shall, within thirty
    (30) calendar days from the date of vehicle purchase or acquisition,
    make application to record the registration of the vehicle by the
    transfer to, or purchase of, a license plate for the newly acquired
    vehicle with the Tax Commission or motor license agent and shall pay
    all taxes and fees provided by law.

22. Default Re: New license plates on the way

Question. Do city vehicles ever have to switch to the new plates? You can still tell undercover cop cars and all state vehicles since they still use the old license plate? I'm not sure I have need a new CI plate.

We should just ban cars

The voters of Oklahoma City and the OKC Thunder have done more for the "Branding" of this state than Kevin Stitt and Matt Pinnell will ever do.

Perhaps that's why they want to change everything.

One word...Tulsa.

Thread Information