Widgets Magazine

Thread: Derek Chauvin

Default Derek Chauvin

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or on political forum but not really looking for political reasoning but general thoughts. (Moderator...feel free to move) Chauvin received 270 months for the murder of Floyd, Interesting number. Haven't heard reasoning yet on this Thoughts from this group?

Default Re: Derek Chauvin

He's 45 and that's 22.5 years.

Will be well into his senior years when he gets out of prison, if he lives that long. I would also expect that he is going to have a very tough time in jail.

I know some wanted a longer sentence but this seems plenty harsh; I'm sure he didn't set out to kill him, no matter how negligent.

Very hard to determine what is fair given all the factors and forces involved here.

Let it be an example and a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He's 45 and that's 22.5 years.

Will be well into his senior years when he gets out of prison, if he lives that long. I would also expect that he is going to have a very tough time in jail.

I know some wanted a longer sentence but this seems plenty harsh; I'm sure he didn't set out to kill him, no matter how negligent.

Very hard to determine what is fair given all the factors and forces involved here.
    it is a tough case I an curious how the Judge came up with that number He has a history with a teen but has no prior criminal record. I really have no thoughts on what is appropriate which is partially why I posted. You are correct that his time won't be easy time.

Don’t forget there’s also a federal case for another individual Chauvin killed in the process of arresting. That could easily add another 20 to his jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    it is a tough case I an curious how the Judge came up with that number He has a history with a teen but has no prior criminal record. I really have no thoughts on what is appropriate which is partially why I posted. You are correct that his time won't be easy time.
    Works out to like 30 months per minute. Seems pretty fair and should serve as a reasonable deterrent to other bad apples.

Pardon if this has been discussed here, but I seemed to recall a juror who denied partaking in BLM rally and was caught lying. Was there anything else on that?

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    Seems pretty fair and should serve as a reasonable deterrent to other bad apples.
    Bad apples only spoil the bunch if the good apples accept the bad apple as part of the bunch.

He will get out around 15 years. So he will be 60.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    He will get out around 15 years. So he will be 60.
    You are ignoring the fact that he is looking at federal charges that carry up to a life sentence. Better odds he never leaves prison.

Even 15 years would be a potential life sentence for a police officer in prison on such a high profile case. I am not advocating for prison justice, just pointing out the truth. I am sure the system will do its best to place him in a facility and cell that has the greatest odds of safety, but nothing is guaranteed in prison.

I wonder if the sentencing for Chauvin was kept to a reasonable amount of time because an excessive amount of time would potentially hurt law enforcement recruiting and retention.

Yes we wouldn’t want people who plan on murdering folks to be deterred from entering the police force

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Bad apples only spoil the bunch if the good apples accept the bad apple as part of the bunch.
    Bad apples proliferate on rotten trees.

Ah, so many weird metaphors!

Thread Information