Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New license plates on the way

Default Re: New license plates on the way

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Is a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher religious, or mountains and mesas (that are barely visible)?
    I don't think the religious argument holds much water relative to a picture of a statue. This was purely a revenue scheme. Just my opinion.
    From what I've read, there's not much revenue to be made from this. The fee for the new plate mainly goes to the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I say go generic like TX and be done with it. Can't argue with black on white right?

I dont use mine anyway because i have an OCU vanity plate. It's on $30 a year for it.
    I'm going to opt for the red Oklahoma 46 Star plate. Clean, simple, and looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    From what I've read, there's not much revenue to be made from this. The fee for the new plate mainly goes to the cost.
    The cost of producing is $ 2.50 per tag. The revenue is $ 2.50 profit. They add a $5.00 fee to the cost of renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    Oh! Call me dumb. I didn't even think about it looking like the twitter design. From a distance it doesn't even look like a bird, just some abstract art.
    Same here. When I saw it, I thought the scissor tailed flycatcher. It will surprise me if the plate lasts longer than 2 or 3 years. It would save the state some money to go back to one of the old tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The cost of producing is $ 2.50 per tag. The revenue is $ 2.50 profit. They add a $5.00 fee to the cost of renewal.
    That's not exactly a bounty, especially when considering transport, processing, etc. To say this is a revenue scheme is absurd. If it is, it's a poorly executed one.

That's not exactly a bounty, especially when considering transport, processing, etc. To say this is a revenue scheme is absurd. If it is, it's a poorly executed one.
    Total outlay is averaged at $2.50 per plate. They are pocketing $2.50 per plate. If there are 2 million plates sold, they make $5 million. It is what it is.

7. Default Re: New license plates on the way

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I'm going to opt for the red Oklahoma 46 Star plate. Clean, simple, and looks good.
    Me too. Already applied for three different specialty plates for each of our three cars, incl. the 46 star plate--LOVE that one.

Got my first new tag today. And, man, they're uglier in person than they are in the pictures. I made the comment to the clerk at the tag agency that I thought these new tags were just so ugly, and she said "everyone does." Think this may go in as an all-time solution in search of a problem - or if this was the answer, it must have been a really, really stupid question.

Do they have the tags at the agency so you can get when you renew or do you have to order it (The 46 star plate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Do they have the tags at the agency so you can get when you renew or do you have to order it (The 46 star plate)
    My understanding is that you can pick them up directly at tag agencies, but someone may correct me on that.

My wife got her twitter tag yesterday. I noticed as I was installing it on her car that it has good contrast up close, but when looked at from 20-30 feet away or more, like the ones I've seen out on the road, the background design interrupts that contrast. Her tag frame covered up the travelok.com logo.

11. Default Re: New license plates on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Total outlay is averaged at $2.50 per plate. They are pocketing $2.50 per plate. If there are 2 million plates sold, they make $5 million. It is what it is.
    So that'll get us about one mile of interstate then huh? Maybe part of a bridge.

Since when does anything our Oklahoma government does make sense? May not be about revenue, but generating 5 million is the only positive thing this plate accomplishes.

I hated them on paper, but they don't actually look that bad driving around. They actually look pretty cool on darker cars and SUVs.

As someone who did, don't waste your time going to a tag agency for a 46 Star plate. They likely don't have them on-hand. Just complete the form from their website, mail it in and wait ...

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Did they even consult with OHP on the design?
    I agree entirely, why are they putting black numbers on top of a colored background? It is hard to see the numbers when you have black numbers on a colored background. Previously the OK plates had a white background. If the "travelok.com" people want their message to get out, cool, but lets make our license plates easily legible at least.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I hated them on paper, but they don't actually look that bad driving around. They actually look pretty cool on darker cars and SUVs.
    I have a black car and it looks shockingly bad. Hard to read. I'm embarrassed for the state and its image of amateurism.

I think I'm going to opt for one of the alternative designs too.

I don't like the new tags. I agree with the poster who said there are more important things to worry about, but I think the reason why I despise this tag so much and people are talking about it so much is because it is almost a symbol of our state government's inability to do anything right. I'm not being partisan or talking politics, I mean from the standpoint of actual execution of work... everything from road design to crumbling bridges to this. It's just sad.

18. Default Re: New license plates on the way

I'm just grateful our state offers alternatives. Not all states offer lots of options for plates. I know, for instance, NH has like 2 or maybe three available as alternates.

I guess I'm in the minority that actually appreciates the design. Mesas, a Scissor-tail, the abundance of sky all represented in French Blue and tints thereof. The integrated collage nature of it is in the fold of what's happening. Plus it's the "OETA" font.

Yeah, I'm floored there's so much fuss over something you put by your back bumper and will rarely see. It's a license plate, not a fashion accessory. My son got his car tagged recently... doesn't look bad. Isn't anything special. Looks like, wait for it, a license plate. But if folks want to give more money to the state over something so silly, go for it. I'm happy to see the state make the money. I'll think the same of them as I think of folks with vanity plates.

21. Default Re: New license plates on the way

I dont really care one way or another, but this is probably another case where there wasn't much field testing done on the new plates. I pulled up behind a vehicle of the same height as mine at a stop light and with my lights on, it totally washed out the entire plate of the guy in front of me. I dont personally care, but that seems like it might be an issue for a patrolman at a traffic stop if he can't read the plate to call it in.

The colors really are terrible for readability. Much worse than the old plate. Just driving down the road, its more difficult to read the new ones in comparison.

I also was forced to get my new plate 3 months before my old plate expired. Did anyone else run into this problem? My normal tag doesn't renew until April, but i got my notice for the new one in Feb.

Does anyone know if the motorcycle tags will change? I just bought another scooter and am wondering.

23. Default Re: New license plates on the way

Does anyone know if the motorcycle tags will change? I just bought another scooter and am wondering.
    I saw a new MC tag at the MC show at the Fairgrounds yesterday. It was plain white with black numerals.

I also went in to my regular, and always busy, tag agent yesterday to renew my MC personalized tag. EVERY single person (10 people at least) getting a car tag bitched about not wanting to put the "ugly" new tag on their car. The owner of the agency said that sales of specialized tags had more than doubled at her office. Coincidence or planning?

Saw them in person this past week and must say they look terrible at a distance.

Got my new motorcycle tag today. White with black text and the "Travelok.com" advert at the bottom. I'll have to get a tag frame that will cover that up.

Thread Information