Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 280
  1. Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    That's what they want you to think, but in reality, from their standpoint it was the perfect plan . Create a tag and force the public to pay extra for it. Then make it ugly, so a certain amount of folks will pay extra for one of the cool alternative plates available. It's all about the money, not esthetics. They got over on us, and it worked.
    They also gave the reason that it would be easier to enforce people not registering a new tag. Next January if you still have the old tag plate on your vehicle then they know you are in violation. Easy to spot.

  2. Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    What did these twitter plates look like? I tried to find them on the ok tax website but couldn't find anything.
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...096#post964096

  3. #178

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    There's more contrast and definition in the picture than there is on the real thing. In the picture you can tell it's a Scissor Tail.

  4. Default Re: New license plates on the way

    I guess I thought they looked different than the new regular plates. Are they considered custom plates, do you have to pay extra to have your twitter handle on it?

  5. #180

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    There's more contrast and definition in the picture than there is on the real thing. In the picture you can tell it's a Scissor Tail.
    For real. I wonder if anybody in law enforcement got to look at the plates before they got signed off on. The letters don't show up well, the blue is fairly dark and doesn't contrast much with the text, and having a color transition behind the text just makes it even worse.

    It's amazing how much clearer the old style is next to the new ones.

  6. #181

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    I guess I had assumed that they'd use all the existing plates before starting to issue the new ones. Does anybody know what they do with all the plates that were left over when January 1 rolled around?
    All the left over plates will be scrapped.

  7. #182

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    All the left over plates will be scrapped.
    Thanks. Hopefully they can recycle the "scrap" and not just waste it all.

  8. #183

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Thanks. Hopefully they can recycle the "scrap" and not just waste it all.
    Yes, they will be sold for scrap, and the proceeds go back into the kitty.

  9. #184

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Yes, they will be sold for scrap, and the proceeds go back into the kitty.
    Good deal!

  10. #185
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,697
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    For real. I wonder if anybody in law enforcement got to look at the plates before they got signed off on. The letters don't show up well, the blue is fairly dark and doesn't contrast much with the text, and having a color transition behind the text just makes it even worse.

    It's amazing how much clearer the old style is next to the new ones.
    Right. The numbers and letters on the new plates don't stand out as much the further the viewing distance. The state should have kept the same plate design, except replace the character on the left side with a different one, such as the Guardian atop state capitol dome. Or else, if it was that important for cops to differentiate between tags, while having greater clarity of numbers and letters, then go back to this tag:


  11. #186

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    I'm also somewhat inclined to think that the redesign was to get rid of the "non-Christian" symbolism, looking back at the lawsuit we had.

  12. Default Re: New license plates on the way

    That's what i was thinking d-usa. When i got mine this weekend, the guy in front of me had his own piss and moan fit about the "ugly" new tag and was pissed that the buffalo one wasn't available to him right now. Gimme a break. I wish people put that much effort into real issues instead of worrying about what license plate you'll have....until the next redesign.

  13. #188

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Lol. New plates are hideous.

  14. #189

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I guess I thought they looked different than the new regular plates. Are they considered custom plates, do you have to pay extra to have your twitter handle on it?
    I think people are calling it the twitter tag because the design resembles Twitter's logo. I don't think there is an option to put your handle on it, unless it is short enough to be a regular vanity plate. This is the new default plate, and everyone will get one unless the local news very quickly jumps onto the issue of readability and draws unwanted attention to the insanely bad design. But we're at the end of January already, they need to already be working on that story right now and go live tonight or tomorrow. I'm seeing the bad tag more and more now.

  15. #190

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I'm also somewhat inclined to think that the redesign was to get rid of the "non-Christian" symbolism, looking back at the lawsuit we had.
    I thought the same thing.

  16. #191

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    I'm gonna get a personalized plate that says SAMPLE.

    I've heard all different reasons for the new plates; tax $, easier to tell who's got an old plate etc. Vermont has had basically the same plate since about forever. How is it that they don't have all these needs for a new plate that we do?

  17. #192

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Is a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher religious, or mountains and mesas (that are barely visible)?
    I don't think the religious argument holds much water relative to a picture of a statue. This was purely a revenue scheme. Just my opinion.

    The new plates certainly are more reflective from my experiences, but they are hard to make out; both design and lettering. I like them more than the current (old) ones, but not by much after seeing them in person.

    I'm considering getting an alternative plate now, but I know you still have to pay for an official one. But, hey, more revenue for the state, amirite???

  18. #193

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Is a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher religious, or mountains and mesas (that are barely visible)?
    I don't think the religious argument holds much water relative to a picture of a statue. This was purely a revenue scheme. Just my opinion.
    The lawsuit against the old plate basically boiled down to "I'm a Christian and having to drive around with a Native American spiritual statue violates my Freedom of Religion". The judge ruled against him and the case was closed.

    So when it was time to redesign the plates, it wouldn't have been hard for some folks at the capitol to take that opportunity to appease the folks who thought that lawsuit had merit. They didn't go out of their way to pass a law just to get rid of the native statue, but since they wanted to get a new plate to raise money it would have been easy to kill two birds with one stone.

    Pure speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the back of some minds.

  19. #194

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    The lawsuit against the old plate basically boiled down to "I'm a Christian and having to drive around with a Native American spiritual statue violates my Freedom of Religion". The judge ruled against him and the case was closed.

    So when it was time to redesign the plates, it wouldn't have been hard for some folks at the capitol to take that opportunity to appease the folks who thought that lawsuit had merit. They didn't go out of their way to pass a law just to get rid of the native statue, but since they wanted to get a new plate to raise money it would have been easy to kill two birds with one stone.

    Pure speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the back of some minds.
    In bold is the main reason why I don't agree with the theory. But, I do understand what you are saying and where you're coming from, it does make sense and could be possible. But, I simply don't believe that would have been even one of the biggest reasons for the re-design after a judge ruled against the lawsuit. Plus, this is "Native America" after all, and I don't feel that would have been something they would have gotten rid of for one Christian complaining. Such a silly lawsuit to begin with, again, just my opinion.

  20. #195

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    In bold is the main reason why I don't agree with the theory. But, I do understand what you are saying and where you're coming from, it does make sense and could be possible. But, I simply don't believe that would have been even one of the biggest reasons for the re-design after a judge ruled against the lawsuit.
    To be fair, judges ruling against something has never stopped our legislators from passing laws anyway

    Plus, this is "Native America" after all,
    Interestingly enough, "Native America" was also dropped from the plate.

  21. Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I'm gonna get a personalized plate that says SAMPLE.

    I've heard all different reasons for the new plates; tax $, easier to tell who's got an old plate etc. Vermont has had basically the same plate since about forever. How is it that they don't have all these needs for a new plate that we do?
    What does Vermont have - 500 cars ?? LOL

  22. #197

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Interestingly enough, "Native America" was also dropped from the plate.
    And it is replaced with advertisement for the state tourism bureau, plus we get the privilege to pay for it.

  23. Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I think people are calling it the twitter tag because the design resembles Twitter's logo. I don't think there is an option to put your handle on it, unless it is short enough to be a regular vanity plate. This is the new default plate, and everyone will get one unless the local news very quickly jumps onto the issue of readability and draws unwanted attention to the insanely bad design. But we're at the end of January already, they need to already be working on that story right now and go live tonight or tomorrow. I'm seeing the bad tag more and more now.
    Oh! Call me dumb. I didn't even think about it looking like the twitter design. From a distance it doesn't even look like a bird, just some abstract art.

  24. #199

    Default Re: New license plates on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    What does Vermont have - 500 cars ?? LOL
    But this is a design issue, not a numbering issue.

  25. Default Re: New license plates on the way

    I say go generic like TX and be done with it. Can't argue with black on white right?

    I dont use mine anyway because i have an OCU vanity plate. It's on $30 a year for it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oklahoma Front License Plates?
    By Plutonic Panda in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 09:00 PM
  2. How far back can you go - Old Oklahoma plates
    By jmpokc1957 in forum Nostalgia & Memories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 03:39 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM
  4. Personalized License plates
    By YO MUDA in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 08:49 PM
  5. Thunder License Plates
    By rod4soonrs in forum Sports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO