Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New license plates on the way

Default Re: New license plates on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Sorry if my post is misleading, I don't believe custom plates have to be replaced. My statement was directed to the fact that if you have a custom plate (say the OU plate that my wife has), that you also have to have the standard plate. Places like Florida only require you to have the one custom instead of both. I think a lot more people would buy the custom plates if you didn't have to maintain the other plate.
    Zuplar,
    Got it! It could read either way and I read it the "glass half empty" way. Actually, I don't mind having the other plate. It's in the pocket on the back of my passenger seat, and never bothers me or anybody else.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    So the state tried to fix what wasn't broken.
    One of the most ridiculous back-door tax increases/revenue generating schemes in a long time. Absolutely asinine in all respects. The tag looks stupid, the replacement is stupid, and the whole point is just a way to force an extra few bucks into state coffers. Just plain asinine. No other way to call it.

I'm seeing more of the twitter tags appear too. Still not crazy about them.

4. Default Re: New license plates on the way

I have seen a few on the road and they are harder to see. Shame they didn't take more time to test them. Did they even consult with OHP on the design? Time for one of the specialty plates.

I've just come off a vehicle lease and am on the new one. Dealership sends me a plate within the next couple of weeks. Will it likely be the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    I've just come off a vehicle lease and am on the new one. Dealership sends me a plate within the next couple of weeks. Will it likely be the new one?
    Yes, since issuing the new tags started on Jan. 1, 2017.

Yeah, the Twitter tags look pretty terrible, and legibility definitely suffers due to the background design. The only thing I will give them is the retroreflective sheeting they're using on these tags appears to be MUCH brighter than the existing tags - but that doesn't help any if you can't read the damn plate clearly in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Yes, since issuing the new tags started on Jan. 1, 2017.
    Thanks, Bunty. I'll be expecting it then.

I thought there was a special vanity tag that had a bison on it in different colors. Am I losing my mind? I was thinking about ordering it, but can't find it now.

https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/M...t__Plates.html

Blog Entries

Had to get one of the new ones. It is uglier than it even appears from the pictures. And, it seems like a 2nd grader drawing compared to what we had. And, it seems harder to read. Massive fail AGAIN from our backward folks on 23rd Street. Not only are they short on IQ and common sense, they have NO TASTE.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Had to get one of the new ones. It is uglier than it even appears from the pictures. And, it seems like a 2nd grader drawing compared to what we had. And, it seems harder to read. Massive fail AGAIN from our backward folks on 23rd Street. Not only are they short on IQ and common sense, they have NO TASTE.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It is all about money. The state made $ 2.50 profit for each tag sold. I prefer the bison tag myself, too bad that design wasn't used as the regular plate instead of a special.

13. Default Re: New license plates on the way

I have one as well now. I wish we just have simple plates like Texas. Just the name of the state, tag number, and the website at the bottom. Two colors and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    +1
    That's what they want you to think, but in reality, from their standpoint it was the perfect plan . Create a tag and force the public to pay extra for it. Then make it ugly, so a certain amount of folks will pay extra for one of the cool alternative plates available. It's all about the money, not esthetics. They got over on us, and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I thought there was a special vanity tag that had a bison on it in different colors. Am I losing my mind? I was thinking about ordering it, but can't find it now.

https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/M...t__Plates.html
    http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...ense-plate.xml

It's still in pre-order status through February 1. Just remember it's a special plate so you have to keep (and pay) for your regular plate too.

16. Default Re: New license plates on the way

After seeing a number of the new tags I've decided they look like someone shot a white paint ball at a baby blue tag. You can't even tell it's a bird. Horrible design.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    That's what they want you to think, but in reality, from their standpoint it was the perfect plan . Create a tag and force the public to pay extra for it. Then make it ugly, so a certain amount of folks will pay extra for one of the cool alternative plates available. It's all about the money, not esthetics. They got over on us, and it worked.
    Would it not have been simpler just to raise the registration fees by, say, $10?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Would it not have been simpler just to raise the registration fees by, say, $10?
    But that would have looked like a tax increase... THIS is paying for something "new" ... smoke-and-mirrors

Blog Entries

Looked at the personal tag options. I see some are $18 and some are $36. Think I may spend the $18 to not have one of those twitter tags. I have until June to decide.

If they would write tickets for all of the expired temporary tags I see running around town, we wouldn't have a revenue issue........

20. Default Re: New license plates on the way

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    Looked at the personal tag options. I see some are $18 and some are $36. Think I may spend the $18 to not have one of those twitter tags. I have until June to decide.

If they would write tickets for all of the expired temporary tags I see running around town, we wouldn't have a revenue issue........
    I have the Thunder plate and it's $18. The more expensive plates typically donate a portion of the fee to a fund or charity that you get to choose if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post

I'm on board with that idea, wished many a time I could take a pic of a temporary plate, send it to the police and have them cite the person, *but* they're temporary plates and it'd be damn near impossible to track them down, and I doubt the cops would do that, and unless it was OHP doing the ticketing, none of the money would go to the state (not sure how much of the OHP fines go to the state anyway).

23. Default Re: New license plates on the way

WHen I first moved here I brought my first car, temp tag & all, expecting my real tag would come in the mail. I never heard of a tag agency, never thought to ask, of course until my temp tag was almost expired. Anywhere else I have lived we got our plates from the DMV. Lesson learned

I guess I had assumed that they'd use all the existing plates before starting to issue the new ones. Does anybody know what they do with all the plates that were left over when January 1 rolled around?

25. Default Re: New license plates on the way

What did these twitter plates look like? I tried to find them on the ok tax website but couldn't find anything.

Thread Information