Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Apple Store

Default Re: Apple Store

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I don't think you get cash or ever looked at it that way when you add a tip at the point of sale and didn't mean to imply that you did. No different than adding a tip at a regular sit down restaurant when you add a tip to the tab. You don't get cash back there . The cash tip I give at Swadleys I already had in my pocket.
    your mentioning of swadley's just made me think of their weird tipping system. it's possible that each location is different and it's possible that they've changed the process since i've last been there, but the few times i've been to the swadley's on south western, i've added a tip on my card and they've handed me the cash. off the top of my head, i can't think of any other place that does it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    ^ You are probably right. Just a bad article. My current employer only allows 3 days of bereavement for any immediate family member. Which is insane to think about. 3 days to grieve a child or spouse? Yea okay.

And yes, demands probably isn't the best choice of words.
    In the union v. employer context, "demand" is more appropriate than "proposal."

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    your mentioning of swadley's just made me think of their weird tipping system. it's possible that each location is different and it's possible that they've changed the process since i've last been there, but the few times i've been to the swadley's on south western, i've added a tip on my card and they've handed me the cash. off the top of my head, i can't think of any other place that does it that way.
    I guess that's possible and just don't know it because I've never added a tip at point of sale there. But I've only ever been to the one on 39th and Rockwell. But you are right in that is really a weird way of doing it if that's what they do. I assumed when you tip at payment it is just split with the entire staff and I like the person who is actually giving us some table service to get it. And I always try to tip in cash anywhere I tip and rarely ever add it to the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    In the union v. employer context, "demand" is more appropriate than "proposal."
    In the article, the union specifically calls it a proposal. My union just voted in a new contract this week and every memo I saw during negotiations (2 years) called it a proposal, proposed changes, proposed language, etc. Never once did I see the word demand in the context of the negotiations.

I prefer to tip in cash and leave the government and credit card companies out if it. If the wait staff fully reports it that is their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I prefer to tip in cash and leave the government and credit card companies out if it. If the wait staff fully reports it that is their choice.
    I try and do the same when I happen to have cash. I carry very little but bring some smaller bills if I know I will be dining out later that day. When I was a server, your reported tips were automatically 10% of sales. So let's say you had $800 in sales, and had $160 in tips. At a minimum $80 would be reported in tips, and I believe (it has been a LONG time) CC tips were added to that for tax purposes. So if your CC tips ended up being $80 it would report $160 in tips. CC transactions were not as prevalent then as they are now so that is most certainly changed now. I would bet most bills are paid with CC now, whereas it was close to 50/50 when I was serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    All the times I went, the cashier asked if I wanted cashback for a tip. Then you have to make sure you ask for change so you don't have commit to that 5 dollar and choose from 0 or 5. I can probably get my own sauce, drinks, and butter. Half the time they don't provide that good of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I hafta shake my head in disbelief seeing some of these comments.
    If you know that you frequent eateries that have POS when you order why do you not have cash if the system makes you feel awkward?
    Plan ahead folks, getting a 20 or two to have in your wallet is not a challenging endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I hafta shake my head in disbelief seeing some of these comments.
    If you know that you frequent eateries that have POS when you order why do you not have cash if the system makes you feel awkward?
    Plan ahead folks, getting a 20 or two to have in your wallet is not a challenging endeavor.
    That's true, its always an option to bring 200 dollars in cash to Apple Store if you need a major service appear done or 50 dollars in cash if you are buying a quick lunch for group of people. I don't really care about the prompt now and I think more and more people feeling the same way. It just makes it easier to say no in other services that traditional took tips.

Also, we just went through a major pandemic where using cash was frowned upon and more and more places used it as an excess to go cashless. Seems like every year the idea to go completely cashless monetary system is floated around.

If we are ever forced to go cashless there should be no transaction or annual fees for using debt/credit cards or fees for checking accounts. I suspect the financial services industry wouldn't be so excited about going cashless in that scenario.

Tipping for things is out of control especially when prices on everything have already skyrocketed. I've always been a pretty good tipper & believe in taking care of people for good service but a lot of these quick service & even fast food type places expect it now. I occasionally will have clients give me small gifts, gift cards, etc and have been "tipped" even but I know it's just a result of giving people great service never ever an expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That's true, its al Go back and read what I postedways an option to bring 200 dollars in cash to Apple Store if you need a major service appear done or 50 dollars in cash if you are buying a quick lunch for group of people. I don't really care about the prompt now and I think more and more people feeling the same way. It just makes it easier to say no in other services that traditional took tips.

Also, we just went through a major pandemic where using cash was frowned upon and more and more places used it as an excess to go cashless. Seems like every year the idea to go completely cashless monetary system is floated around.
    Your response to my post with hyperbole is off point.

1. I posted about POS in restaurants and the awkwardness of being watched. You don't feel that way so my post was not meant for you or those that say no to tipping at POS and carry that to other traditionally tipped services.
    2. If you go to the Apple store for major service more than once a year, get an upgrade.
    3. Pandemic is over so not germane to my points either. Any merchant frowning on cash is losing business. Good luck to them.

Thread Information