Widgets Magazine

Thread: Stillwater: Housing Development (near campus)

OSU Stillwater: Housing Development (near campus)

Now that the City of Stillwater has adopted Form Based Codes, they're buckling down on development near campus. This falls within the "town and gown" corridor to downtown Stillwater. The first development since this adoption, has passed planning commission. I like this development, however, we need more retail.

This will be a 5-story residential mixed-use building (four-story attached garage). Retail along the first-level facing north along 4th Street. Details and links below.
    Planning Commission Agenda: City of Stillwater, Oklahoma: Agendas/Minutes - Stillwater Planning Commission
    4th and Hester SW View.JPG
    4th and Ramsey SE View.JPG

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Stillwater: Housing Development (near campus)

That is very cool. Stillwater is a surprisingly progressive little town. Good to see them adopting form based codes.

At today's city council meeting the council will hear whether or not to not impose fees on this developer because they will "better/beautify" the area by redeveloping utilities and streetscapes. Shall be interesting to see what happens.

You can read more here:
    http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/cou...088aa187e.html

This project is progressing. Avid Square Apartments is the name, website now up here: http://avidsquareapartments.com/
    Going before City Council tonight for an agreement on improvements to utilities, roads, right-of-ways.

You can follow development with this live web-cam:
    https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDRTrust/Admin

Building plans and renderings can be found here:
    http://files.stillwater.org/agendas/...achment_II.pdf

Avid comes with a covered garage for each floor, so another eyesore like that for the neighborhood. No doubt, this project will further insure that the commercial value of the strip will increase. It will only be a short walk to the bars and restaurants. When Sprouts is finally ready to open, it should do well from the increased population density. Surely, downtown will be helped, too.

In turn, the new apartment construction east of Eskimo Joe's will help that famous spot, as well as George's and the Garage, along with businesses on Knoblock St.

I hope the apartment companies have a good reputation. One of the reasons why a new apartment complex was not allowed to go up near my neighborhood was because the company had a bad rap with its tenants elsewhere from poor maintenance. Large apartment complexes for students are more compatible in neighborhoods within easy walking distance of OSU. So please, no more new apartment complexes on N. Perkins Rd. Too much traffic congestion as it is now.

It will be interesting in seeing what will eventually go into the southeast corner of 5th and Monroe where there had been an old rent house. The lot and the one adjacent to it to the east have been cleared off for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Avid comes with a covered garage for each floor, so another eyesore like that for the neighborhood. No doubt, this project will further insure that the commercial value of the strip will increase. It will only be a short walk to the bars and restaurants. When Sprouts is finally ready to open, it should do well from the increased population density. Surely, downtown will be helped, too.

In turn, the new apartment construction east of Eskimo Joe's will help that famous spot, as well as George's and the Garage, along with businesses on Knoblock St.

I hope the apartment companies have a good reputation. One of the reasons why a new apartment complex was not allowed to go up near my neighborhood was because the company had a bad rap with its tenants elsewhere from poor maintenance. Large apartment complexes for students are more compatible in neighborhoods within easy walking distance of OSU. So please, no more new apartment complexes on N. Perkins Rd. Too much traffic congestion as it is now.

It will be interesting in seeing what will eventually go into the southeast corner of 5th and Monroe where there had been an old rent house. The lot and the one adjacent to it to the east have been cleared off for some time.
    I was hoping for a Raising Cane's, but I believe the lot is too small.

Man, the Foundation sure is going to work on their new parking lot! They should break ground on their addition by the spring too.

Another development going in directly to the west and to the south of Avid Square. I don't have confirmation just yet as to what. The site has been cleared to the west, however, no building permits issued or a visit to Planning Commission.
    I don't understand how they can tear down houses without going through Planning Commission or given a building permit...

Owner is BROOKSIDE STILLWATER, LLC out of Columbia, Missouri. Turns out one of the stakeholders is Adam Patchett, an attorney in Columbia. This is his Law Firm: http://businesslawcolumbia.com/

Must be nice to have this much money to be able to purchase property out-of-state and develop it.

It's looks like elevator-served student housing is popping up all over Stillwater. I believe there are two on Elm Street, three around the Strip / new PAC, and another on Main Street across from the high school, in addition to the greek housing arms race.

I'd like to see some more student housing in downtown, intended for grad students and/or art students. There's probably a market for 50 units of such housing.

Good luck! The City squashed proposed mixed-use for an area in downtown. I wish they would have added this instead of the waste of space they're now keeping.

Stillwater News Press editorial suggests working harder to get a hotel in downtown Stillwater like Enid has just done. As proposed, making a park out of a square block area, to me, is seeing too small. It would be better, I think, to put in a mixed used development on that block. A boutique hotel is another possibility.
    http://www.stwnewspress.com/opinion/...eb0244692.html

I also wouldn't mind seeing a huge convention center built downtown, like what Enid done, but most people think that is seeing too big for Stillwater, and so it's better to hold on to using an old junior school for the convention or community center. Millions need to be raised to refurbish it. The second floor isn't even used, probably due to no elevator.

I think an even better place to build a convention center is at Strickland Park, due to all the nearby hotels and close proximity to OSU. But it would have to involve the extra expense of raising the elevation to counter flash flooding from West Boomer Creek. The other good place to build a convention center is way out on W. 6th St., the only other area with a bunch of hotel rooms.

Loving your ideas! Nothing will change in our town until leadership sees the benefit. I don't think we need a greenspace or park when there's one (Southern Woods) 5 blocks away.
    I'd kill for a center like in Enid. Bulldoze the community center and area to the north. Make a large four-block "super block". Convention Center, boutqiue hotel, mixed-use wrapping around, parking garage. I can envision it!

Construction to begin soon on the development next Avid Square (pictured above). The area around 4th and Ramsey will be stacked. Add the new McKnight Performing Arts Center, WOW!
    "The applicant proposes three structures, two apartment buildings with 221 apartments, 823 beds and two office/retail spaces and a parking garage with a rooftop swimming pool and fitness center. "
    I'll have renderings soon.

I hope the parking garage won't be yet another tremendous eyesore.

No, will be more centrally located! And the other building containing apartments will block the Avid Square garage! Should look much better. I can't believe Avid Square is advertising for August move in !

HangryHippo Guest

Can either of you snag some pictures of these developments?

I'll try this week.

I can also swing by and take photos of the OSU Foundation addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can either of you snag some pictures of these developments?
    Avid Square

What's in the right foreground is material from construction started on the OSU McKnight Center for the performing arts to open by Fall of 2019. It recently began rising from the dirt. Next to it stands OSU's multi level Fourth Avenue Parking Garage, already completed.

HangryHippo Guest

Cool. Thanks Bunty.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Loving your ideas! Nothing will change in our town until leadership sees the benefit. I don't think we need a greenspace or park when there's one (Southern Woods) 5 blocks away.
    I'd kill for a center like in Enid. Bulldoze the community center and area to the north. Make a large four-block "super block". Convention Center, boutqiue hotel, mixed-use wrapping around, parking garage. I can envision it!
    Thanks. It's upsetting to me that the city of Stillwater appears headed toward making Block 34 an outdoor gathering place development. Well, this sure isn't California or Florida. I can't see it being used for intended purposes much of the time, due to unpleasant weather. According to the local paper, the city has a plan to be done in phases which is to install green space/play space, small cafe/hospitality area, a stage, underground utilities for food trucks and farmers market. Total cost estimated to do this is $4,776,000 with annual maintenance $100,000 to $150,000. I wonder if artificial turf would be laid to assure year round green.

To me it makes better and more efficient sense for the city to sell Block 34 to a private developer to turn it into a dual residential and business use, like businesses on ground level, housing on upper levels. The city ought to be open for such a use. It complains about sales tax revenues being down. Such a development would increase the tax base from property tax and more sales taxes from new businesses. But no, one of the city council members said, "In larger cities than Stillwater, it makes sense to pack people downtown. Stillwater is not one of those places. It is an easy no for me." But common sense tells me that downtown businesses would welcome more new residents living downtown as a source for more customers, which I bet would be more steady ones. Downtown restaurants and bars are having trouble growing beyond what little is already established there as evidenced by the closing of the Pink Parrot Bar. I'd commonly walk to downtown, if I lived closer there.

That city councilor needs to recognize that downtown Stillwater is different from other small towns by the fact that OSU with its 24,000 students and 5000+ employees is not too far away for a bike ride or walk. I think affordable downtown housing would be attractive for some of those thousands of people. More people walking or biking would cut down on traffic congestion. A major reason why people from smaller towns hate Stillwater is from having to put up with all its heavy traffic in the streets. If you are from smaller towns, like Cushing or Perry, you're not used to it. Opportunities that can reduce some of that traffic should not be missed. Of course, the big problem too difficult to overcome may be that no private developer wants to tackle a major project in downtown Stillwater.

Thanks. It's upsetting to me that the city of Stillwater appears headed toward making Block 34 an outdoor gathering place development. Well, this sure isn't California or Florida. I can't see it being used for intended purposes much of the time, due to unpleasant weather. According to the local paper, the city has a plan to be done in phases which is to install green space/play space, small cafe/hospitality area, a stage, underground utilities for food trucks and farmers market. Total cost estimated to do this is $4,776,000 with annual maintenance $100,000 to $150,000. I wonder if artificial turf would be laid to assure year round green.

To me it makes better and more efficient sense for the city to sell Block 34 to a private developer to turn it into a dual residential and business use, like businesses on ground level, housing on upper levels. The city ought to be open for such a use. It complains about sales tax revenues being down. Such a development would increase the tax base from property tax and more sales taxes from new businesses. But no, one of the city council members said, "In larger cities than Stillwater, it makes sense to pack people downtown. Stillwater is not one of those places. It is an easy no for me." But common sense tells me that downtown businesses would welcome more new residents living downtown as a source for more customers, which I bet would be more steady ones. Downtown restaurants and bars are having trouble growing beyond what little is already established there as evidenced by the closing of the Pink Parrot Bar. I'd commonly walk to downtown, if I lived closer there.

That city councilor needs to recognize that downtown Stillwater is different from other small towns by the fact that OSU with its 24,000 students and 5000+ employees is not too far away for a bike ride or walk. I think affordable downtown housing would be attractive for some of those thousands of people. More people walking or biking would cut down on traffic congestion. A major reason why people from smaller towns hate Stillwater is from having to put up with all its heavy traffic in the streets. If you are from smaller towns, like Cushing or Perry, you're not used to it. Opportunities that can reduce some of that traffic should not be missed. Of course, the big problem too difficult to overcome may be that no private developer wants to tackle a major project in downtown Stillwater.
    TOTALLY AGREE! Won't happen for the foreseeable future. Last night's meeting was brutal. I think we need a good mixed-use, boutique hotel, and conference center.

Have you been to downtown Manhattan, Kansas. Similar to Stillwater, however, they've really invested downtown. They have a large company and office complex, hotels, shopping, etc.

HangryHippo Guest

Forgive me, but what currently exists on Block 34?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Forgive me, but what currently exists on Block 34?
    Nothing. It's cleared off and owned by the city of Stillwater. On some Friday evenings food trucks go there and maybe a band.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    TOTALLY AGREE! Won't happen for the foreseeable future. Last night's meeting was brutal. I think we need a good mixed-use, boutique hotel, and conference center.

Have you been to downtown Manhattan, Kansas. Similar to Stillwater, however, they've really invested downtown. They have a large company and office complex, hotels, shopping, etc.
    No, but since the Manhattan area is more heavily populated, it can better support its downtown.

Block 34 has been vacant for quite some time. If it was meant for private commercial/residential development, it should have happened by now. Maybe no hotel wants to go there, unless it can get an agreement that its empty rooms would be subsidized by the city. If so, don't think that would be a good deal. So I've pretty much given up hope. At least an outdoor gathering place or green space would look better than what little is there now.

Nothing. It's cleared off and owned by the city of Stillwater. On some Friday evenings food trucks go there and maybe a band.

Thread Information