Widgets Magazine

Thread: Destin Landing

Default Re: Destin Landing

Wow. The timeline is an absolute joke. 30 years? Seriously... I can understand 10 and even at 10 I'd still think that was awhile, but 30 is laughable.

Anyways, other than that this looks very impressive. Hopefully the timeline gets moved up and things start rolling on this. I'm excited to see renderings.

With something on this scale HY 9 will desperately need 3 lanes in each direction and be brought up to interstate standards.

Couldn't agree more. Hopefully ODOT has something in store they really need it rather than these typical 4 lane divided roads with at grade intersections they love building.

Here is the site plan.

From RDR

NORMAN, Okla. – The city council approved on second reading (Holman and Jungman voted against) the new Farzaneh’s project called Destin Landing in the south part of Norman. The development will cover an area of 762 acres between Classen Boulevard and Highway 9, at the east of the Links apartments.

“That simply just never happened before,” said Sean Rieger, an attorney.

Rieger said with an increase of 1.5 percent of growth population a year, the city of Norman will have 66,500 new people in 30 years. The project started in December 2013 with the purchase of the 600 acres land by the Farzanehs.

“It has been a very long process,” Rieger said, noting the project will take about 30 more years before being totally completed.

Then, Phil Stuepfert, senior project manager at HR Green, said the large size of the project is a good point by permitting a better development of the area.

“I see a lot of cities do small piece by pieces and then you don’t have good open space connection, this is really an opportunity,” Stuepfert said.

Stuepfert added the project will include 210 acres of open space, which represent about 28 percent of the project including among other things, two parks and numerous trails.

However, Scott Hodgson, leader of a group of 19 families living in the Cedar Lakes Estates expressed his concern about the over capacity of the Cedar Lake dam and the risk of flooding the Destin Landing project.

“We are trying to be a nice neighborhood,” Hodgson said.

In addition, councilman Robert Castleberry commented on the possible donation of a fire station to the city saying, “We are kind of extorted here.”

- Much to look forward to after recent city council meeting | Red Dirt Report
    Another news link: Norman Council approves largest development in city's history | Local News | theadanews.com

I hope someone here can confirm, but it appears they have started clearing the land for this massive project. Hopefully, we will see some significant progress this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrafford View Post
    I hope someone here can confirm, but it appears they have started clearing the land for this massive project. Hopefully, we will see some significant progress this year.
    Yes, seems to be a real project now, they have a lot of staff as of now to get this going. The name is different - I'll have to look back at what they are calling it.

Please update if you can find anything. I will be interested to see plans.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrafford View Post
    Very small segments/sections may be about to be built, but that entire master planned community is not being built.

Josh and thunderbird, has there been some new news out there about them adding staff to get this project going or modifying the plan to reduce the size? They've now pushed most of the felled cedars out and created a lot of open dirt in the center. The intersection of Cedar Lane and 36th is now a four way stop. Seems like things are continuing to happen. If it's just going to end up more regular neighborhoods and there's some authoritative confirmation on that, it would be good to know.

Thread Information