Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cox Internet Speed Increase

Default Cox Internet Speed Increase

I called cox today about an issue and while I had them on the phone I asked if there were any plans to increase the speed of there internet plans. She said yes they are planning on a speed increase on April 13th next Wednesday and for my service level which is Premiere my speed will be going from 100mbs to 150mbs on the 13th. I asked if the bandwidth allotment would also be increasing and she referenced the e-mail announceing the speed increase and it said to be determined on bandwidth increase. My allotted bandwidth per month is 700 gig. The next tier of service has a bandwidth allotment of 2 TB a month the same with the Gigablast service.

Has anyone else heard anything about the speed increase coming next week?

Default Re: Cox Internet Speed Increase

Ugh, meanwhile Uverse is still at 45

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Ugh, meanwhile Uverse is still at 45
    Yeah, there is only so much speed they can milk out of DSL on the old POTS system. AT&T needs to go full fiber in OKC and offer GigaPower. Rumor is that its coming, which would make sense with Google Fiber on its way. If they don't upgrade their infrastructure, AT&T will be in bigger trouble than Cox will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    I called cox today about an issue and while I had them on the phone I asked if there were any plans to increase the speed of there internet plans. She said yes they are planning on a speed increase on April 13th next Wednesday and for my service level which is Premiere my speed will be going from 100mbs to 150mbs on the 13th. I asked if the bandwidth allotment would also be increasing and she referenced the e-mail announceing the speed increase and it said to be determined on bandwidth increase. My allotted bandwidth per month is 700 gig. The next tier of service has a bandwidth allotment of 2 TB a month the same with the Gigablast service.

Has anyone else heard anything about the speed increase coming next week?
    Is the 200mbs service increasing at all?

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Is the 200mbs service increasing at all?
    I would imagine so, you might call and confirm for sure.

Looks like they've already updated their website to reflect the new speeds. 100 > 150, 200 > 300.

What is the disclaimer on the 150mbs? You only get the 150mbs when the planets and moons align just right?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    What is the disclaimer on the 150mbs? You only get the 150mbs when the planets and moons align just right?
    The 100mbs service has been good for me, so I'm guessing it'll just bump up without me having to change anything. I might reboot my modem just for good measure.

Depending on your equipment, routers and wifi, you likely won't see over 100mbs without a tri-band AP and device or an Ethernet connection.

Gotta love that bandwidth bottleneck though right? Making sure people can't cut the cable and stream all their media using the very coax that delivers their programming.

I also logged into my account on cox.com and was shown some decent rates for promotion packages. When I inquired about them, I was told they were only for new customers. I asked why the promotions were showing up on my logged in account and was told it was a glitch. More like bait and switch.

Can't wait for Google Fiber.

11. Default Re: Cox Internet Speed Increase

I also logged into my account on cox.com and was shown some decent rates for promotion packages. When I inquired about them, I was told they were only for new customers. I asked why the promotions were showing up on my logged in account and was told it was a glitch. More like bait and switch.

Can't wait for Google Fiber.
    Call and tell them you want to cancel unless you get those rates. Boom you got the rates for another yearly. Rinse and repeat every year.

Then buy time until Google Fiber gets places in three years.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Call and tell them you want to cancel unless you get those rates. Boom you got the rates for another yearly. Rinse and repeat every year.

Then buy time until Google Fiber gets places in three years.
    I know, I should. I just don't want to take the time to call them and haggle. Plus, I'm afraid they'll call my bluff.

I called and threatened to cancel. They didn't care. They also told me that on May 7, 2016, the local channels would no longer be available over the air via antenna, and consumers would require the mini box in order to watch any local television at all. I tried to tell her I thought she was mistaken, but she insisted that without cable, I would lose all local channels over the air on May 7.

As I've mentioned before, Cox will resort to using any scare tactic, including flat out lie, to keep customers. One would think it would be easier to just give quality customer service, but I guess Cox knows something I don't.

It seems pretty unbelievable that the local stations would just stop broadcasting, all at once, on the same day.

16. Default Re: Cox Internet Speed Increase

I called and threatened to cancel. They didn't care. They also told me that on May 7, 2016, the local channels would no longer be available over the air via antenna, and consumers would require the mini box in order to watch any local television at all. I tried to tell her I thought she was mistaken, but she insisted that without cable, I would lose all local channels over the air on May 7.
    HAHA. Wow. We need some competition.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It seems pretty unbelievable that the local stations would just stop broadcasting, all at once, on the same day.
    They aren't. The contact from Cox who said they're all going away is lying or spreading abjectly wrong information.

I personallly think every person who's recently had a bad customer experience with Cox needs to contact the city of OKC and mention it to them *specifically* in light of the upcoming renewal of the OKC/Cox franchise agreement. Cox forcing DRM on ALL channels AND forcing this idiot "minibox" on everyone is precisely the kind of nonsense OKC should use as leverage against them.

As for me, I am delighted that I picked up a couple of now-abandoned Google Nexus players that can pick up the stream from my networked cable tuner. Considering that those two boxes would have cost me ~$18.50 (incl tax) per month in converter rentals from Cox, and I've had them for five (?) months now, they've almost already paid for themselves, and not one more penny of my money has gone into Cox's pocket as a result. Makes me a very happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I asked her "what will they do with all those giant antennas at the networks?" and she said they would still use those but the signal would be going underground to the cable providers now instead of over the air.

Ugh.

Wow, that's so dishonest it borders on criminal. I'd communicate that back to Cox management, but who knows if they'd care.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Wow, that's so dishonest it borders on criminal. I'd communicate that back to Cox management, but who knows if they'd care.
    I did fill out a survey after the call. Got a follow up survey today saying they want to talk to me about it. Gave them my phone number. We'll see.

I wonder when Preferred will get its next upgrade. 50 Mbps is nice, not complaining, but Premier and Ultimate have been upgraded twice since the last Preferred upgrade. With the price increases recently, I would say that it's warranted.

It's good to see Starter at 15 Mbps now. The 5 Mbps that it used to be was ridiculous.

Simply to interject a note of levity into the discussion:

Today is the day, for me, to pay Cox Communications. I usually do it via telephone (land line also c/o CoxComm) and I did the same today.

I went through the OnLandLineRoboMenus (as usual) and when it came time to make the payment, I was presented with two credit card options that they have on file to use via the RoboPayBot. The last four digits of the first credit card, shared by The Bot, belong to no credit card that I have or have ever had in my possession. I cancelled the transaction, redialed and opted to manually enter my primary card number.

After the payment was supposedly complete, I keyed O in order to talk to a Representative. The Representative told me that a previous payment had been made from the card, on file, ending in the four digits in question. I said that I've never had a card ending in those four digits and requested that it be removed from the options.

The Representative told me that couldn't be done. I asked her to repeat that statement. She said [the phantom card, allegedly previously used to make a payment, could not be removed from the file]. Rather than argue, I said, "lOK . . . Since that card number can't be removed from your records, I think I'll select it next time it comes up and see what happens." The Representative was uncertain how to respond. Of course, I will never use a fraudulent card number, yet I never balk at pushing a button. =~) and . . . therein, lies the levity. =~) While we're on "the topic" . . . Whut the heck is this current customer "Goin' All Digital" B.S.? (more levity)

sorry, dupe post, slow internet my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    ... or at least give the a more plausible and less liable script

I know, I should. I just don't want to take the time to call them and haggle. Plus, I'm afraid they'll call my bluff.
    You don't even have to call I just got on the internet chat and straight up told the guy I saw your advertised price and I want to upgrade my service to the ultimate for the price advertised. He was able to do it with out any hesitation got my plan switched and it is 79.99 a month.

Thread Information