Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Noble Parkway Norman

Default Ed Noble Parkway Norman

I seen that Office Max is shutting down soon. Just another vacant space in ENP. I hope UNP doesn't put ENP completely out of business. Maybe once the Lindsey Steet I-35 construction is completed it will help the ENP traffic.

2. Default Re: Ed Noble Parkway Norman

It is not looking good over there.

If Bed Bath and Beyond moves then just B&N and Toys R Us keeping it anchored.

It needs a face lift for sure.

3. Default Re: Ed Noble Parkway Norman

What exactly caused this area to go downhill so quickly? It couldn't just be UNP being the trendy place to go, is it? I wonder if they're overcharging for rent or there's something else in the lease keeping people from signing on there.

Default Re: Ed Noble Parkway Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    What exactly caused this area to go downhill so quickly? It couldn't just be UNP being the trendy place to go, is it? I wonder if they're overcharging for rent or there's something else in the lease keeping people from signing on there.
    Most big box strip retail, like ENP and eventually UNP, have a shelf-life. ENP appears to be ending its run if there are no facade upgrades to the buildings and general site improvements. It's just really tired looking retail. Introducing other uses to the site could be beneficial such as residential, office, or some type of central civic/public space.

In addition to general tired-ness of ENP, I expect UNP somewhat cannibalized this shopping center as well.

Didn't Boot Barn open over there? I believe it was Old Navy at one time.

Is Boot Barn not the name of the business at the old "Shepler's" on Meridian in OKC, as well?

There are bigger issues with ENP than UNP. The owners aren't local and are at odds with each other.

HangryHippo Guest

ENP is overdue for a restructuring of the spaces.

The business I feel the worst for is Misal. Great guy, great food, and independently owned. When he moved over there from Campus Corner many years ago, Ed Noble was hopping. It's a good thing he has a loyal customer base, although I can only imagine how much more business he would generate in another location. I hope he can find a decent way out.

http://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dir...oarded-windows

Curious how much opening up of Lindsey Street exit has improved business at ENP?

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNorman View Post
    The business I feel the worst for is Misal. Great guy, great food, and independently owned. When he moved over there from Campus Corner many years ago, Ed Noble was hopping. It's a good thing he has a loyal customer base, although I can only imagine how much more business he would generate in another location. I hope he can find a decent way out.
    I would love to see Misal back at Campus Corner. ENP never seemed like a good fit for them.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    http://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dir...oarded-windows

Curious how much opening up of Lindsey Street exit has improved business at ENP?
    A lot of what was there when the project began is now closed. If you survived, I'm sure it's better now. There's no reason the project should have taken as long as it did. Now Norman needs to come up with some creative reuse options for this area.

14. Default Re: Ed Noble Parkway Norman

This is completely anecdotal but Interurban and Red Robin have look packed again since it opened.

The Lindsey Street and related closures really hurt everything both on Lindsey and Ed Noble.

That being said, ENP was having problems long before UNP was a thing... I think the only time I have been over there in years has been for an occasional stroll through Barnes and Noble. Here are the reasons why I don't go over there and friends I know often say the same types of things:

• The facilities are dated and kind of ugly... just a sea of faded colors and worn-out facilities
    • There isn't really a big draw over there at all
    • Egress/ingress and parking configuration is just a total mess
    • Terrible lighting, landscaping, and other factors that make the place feel smarmy especially at night
    • There doesn't appear to be anyone fighting to bring new businesses into this area... with Charleston's and BJ's over there it seems like the place could have a much more prominent restaurant draw than what it currently does
    • Weirdly disjointed layout... the former Borders Books and On the Border locations are great examples of this

Someone with deep pockets needs to come in and reconfigure the entire thing.

I saw on Facebook that Applebees at ENP has closed. Not surprised. Struggling area, struggling brand.

17. Default Re: Ed Noble Parkway Norman

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    I saw on Facebook that Applebees at ENP has closed. Not surprised. Struggling area, struggling brand.
    Yep. Pretty much past BJ's over to Home Depot is the dead area. Once Bed Bath and Beyond moves I don't really see any reason to go over that way.

Not to beat a dead horse but this is a great, in-your-face example of what happens when you build disposable suburban junk. It is the natural result of urban sprawl. Hopefully we aren't doomed to repeat this in spots all around the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but this is a great, in-your-face example of what happens when you build disposable suburban junk. It is the natural result of urban sprawl. Hopefully we aren't doomed to repeat this in spots all around the metro.
    Or it is the result of Lindsey St. being mangled for almost 2 years. This all started happening around that same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Or it is the result of Lindsey St. being mangled for almost 2 years. This all started happening around that same time.
    Can't prove it but UNP is far more to blame for ENP's trouble than Lindsey St.

Can't prove it but UNP is far more to blame for ENP's trouble than Lindsey St.
    It's an agglomeration of things:

- Lindsey Street construction
    - UNP's rapid rise
    - Poor design for ENP that does not easily lend itself to transformation of space
    - Weird layout and street connectivity

One thing that helps connectivity is that you can now access ENP from Hwy 9.

Here is the sign on the door for the former Applebee's. Sorry for the sun glare.

20170824_073220[1].jpg

Is the one in Mustang really the closest one?

I'm honestly surprised the one in Mustang hasn't closed or isn't on the verge. It seems busy on Sunday, but I drive by it everyday and lunch time and hardly ever anyone there. Same goes for IHOP.

HangryHippo Guest

You nailed it. Coupled with a nicer center coming along (UNP) and a construction mess (Lindsey St. interchange), it's pretty easy for a business to just up and move and leave the junk behind.

Thread Information