Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model 3

Default Tesla Model 3

$35K 200 mile range. It's going to be awhile if you want one, there's about 240,000 people who have put down $1000 to reserve one.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...374261271.html

Default Re: Tesla Model 3

i think this car could be a game changer as the price makes it a realistic option for more peoples' budget. as far as looks, the only thing i don't like is the solid front end... aesthetically, i feel there should be some kind of grill there. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i think this car could be a game changer as the price makes it a realistic option for more peoples' budget. as far as looks, the only thing i don't like is the solid front end... aesthetically, i feel there should be some kind of grill there. -M
    I agree on both counts. I hope they can actually deliver and make a profit. The missing grill is kinda different. I guess it says it doesn't have a radiator and liquid air cooled internal combustion engine. However, the roadster had a radiator and liquid air cooled battery. Not sure if the Model S does, but I imagine it does and this one may have something too, just not on the front behind a grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    as far as looks, the only thing i don't like is the solid front end... aesthetically, i feel there should be some kind of grill there. -M
    Yeah. It bothers me too but probably helps the car become more aerodynamic and thus have further range. The Volt has a fake grill that is quite deceiving from a few feet. This will probably help reinforce the brand's identity that this is something different though.

Sure love the original one in the Lotus body. Super small car though.

Mixed feelings. Definitely need something like this to be available on a mass scale to help wean us off oil - however all it's going to do is encourage more sprawl, more unnecessary turnpikes, more unnecessary 15 lane freeways. Unfortunately the Tesla will do nothing to encourage walkability.

Moar scooters!

Btw haven't several model 3's caught fire recently?

While I agree at first glance it could use some sort of design or something where the grill would go in a normal car, I have a feeling that after awhile we will become used to this in electric cars. I've been fascinated with Tesla and I really think Elon Musk is the guy to make full electric cars viable solutions. I've been toying with picking up a secondary vehicle for myself since my truck is almost paid off and I wouldn't mind a car as a daily driver. I'll probably wait and see how this car does, but I may end up with one at some point. For the most part I really like the look of the car.

I thought about getting on the pre-order list but it will be a looooong time before they actually ship.

Btw, I LOVE the no grill look.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I thought about getting on the pre-order list but it will be a looooong time before they actually ship.

I like it too, and I'm with you on the wait. I can't imagine tying up $1000 for some ambiguous future ship date. I'm gonna have to wait until there is enough product availability where I could walk into a showroom and buy one.

10. Default Re: Tesla Model 3

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I like it too, and I'm with you on the wait. I can't imagine tying up $1000 for some ambiguous future ship date. I'm gonna have to wait until there is enough product availability where I could walk into a showroom and buy one.
    Same here, plus the infrastructure to support making a road trip less of an exercise in logistics planning and more of a carefree adventure.

As for the design, overall its not bad, but I'm not a fan of the front end. It looks like there should be a grill there, but it was just covered up. I would prefer a nice, smooth transition to the underside.

11. Default Re: Tesla Model 3

No one commented on the no dash display? Everything is on the large tablet including speed. Thought that was an interesting way to do it. Similar to a mini cooper I guess.

I wonder what the final will look like. I'm sure things might change before production.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    $35K 200 mile range. It's going to be awhile if you want one, there's about 240,000 people who have put down $1000 to reserve one.

Over 200,000 Reserve New Tesla Model 3 | NBC Southern California
    My step son is one of those on that pre-order list. He did say the deposit is refundable if you change your mind.

I'm sorry, but the bolt is a very ugly car. I wouldn't by one just for that alone. The Model 3 is very attractive. Maybe these legacy car companies might need new designers....

Would hate having to glance at a center console to check speed.

Nice looking car, but the hype is part legit part obsessed fanbois. I would buy one but not wait in line for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    They've been backlogged on the Model X for, something close to a year I think and are just NOW getting on a even pace of production at about 750 per week.

That's the one reason why I won't pre-order now.

I mean, just look at these side by side:

No comparison, in my mind.

18. Default Re: Tesla Model 3

The 3 looks a little like a Mazda 3 to me.

Oh yeah. I never noticed that. The back end is a little different though. Shorter front end too.

Two more doors too.

Mazda3 has a sedan if I'm not mistaken. Also comparing it to that IMO is a compliment, because I've always thought the newer Mazda's had a nice look to them. The Bolt may be good for competition, but I agree it's ugly, which up until Tesla came along has been a major problem with total electric cars. Let's be honest, most people want to drive a good looking car regardless of what is powering it. So electric car companies should take full advantage of this.

It's a matter of taste. Some people really like the crossover body styles, which the bolt appeals to.

One of each to replace my CRV and Camry when the time comes. However, my CRV has a 1500 pound towing rating and I use it to pull a light trailer regularly. I don't find any towing specs on the Bolt, and assume it's not rated for towing.

Tesla has the nation wide rapid charging station deal going on and they plan to expand it, for whatever that's worth. The Bolt looks to be able to charge where ever you have installed the proprietary charger. That will be good enough for most people, 99.9% of the time.

Various points related to the above.
    1. In reference to glancing at the center console for speed, initial estimates are that it's actually a shorter visual distance to glance at the upper left of the console screen than your speedometer. I'm guessing they're doing this though because of Elon's comments about having a "spaceship" style steering section. Wonder if it affected the ability to see the speedometer so they moved it.

2. Tesla does have the supercharging network, but the sheer volume of the Tesla 3 production seems to necessitate doing something different. If people are already fighting over slots in high-traffic areas, imagine all the "budget" driven people that will want to charge at a supercharger. [Budget in this case just saying that someone that might not be attracted to the S due to the high cost could be attracted to the 3.] There's some conjecture that the model 3 won't have free access to the superchargers which would make sense logistically.

Personally, I just want them to give me something that goes 300 miles, has sub 3.5 second 0-60 acceleration, and retains OTA updates for a premium over the $35000 and I'll be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post
    Various points related to the above.
    1. In reference to glancing at the center console for speed, initial estimates are that it's actually a shorter visual distance to glance at the upper left of the console screen than your speedometer.
    That's just absurd.

Thread Information