Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2125 North May Avenue

Default Re: 2125 North May Avenue

I'm thinking at one time it was also "Hoover's Bicycle Shop, sometime in the 60s. Peered in the window many times fantasizing about owning a Schwinn Sting-Ray.

Made progress this week on the last strip of red paint at the top of the building while on a staycation from my day job. Karl's business is thriving at this location and we are looking forward to more changes to the exterior in the near future. As far as I know it was Taft Bicycle Shop. I haven't heard the name Hoovers before.

They started a mural on the north side of the building.

Yes! We got our plan approved late last summer by the arts commission. Our artist is an educator in Piedmont, so we had to wait for her to finish the school year to begin. She is doing such a great job! We also replaced the front gate recently. It turned out really nice. Next up new roof and replacing the windows...one at a time. It’s a long term project.

Everything you do is making the area better. Keep up the good work!

They have been doing a lot of work to the upper floors and new windows. Additionally, they installed color changing lights on the top of the building edges that are currently going from red to green. Great little project here.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    They have been doing a lot of work to the upper floors and new windows. Additionally, they installed color changing lights on the top of the building edges that are currently going from red to green. Great little project here.
    Do you have any current pics?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	building.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	16612

This is what it looked like back in September after we finished the windows in front.

Received a notice from the city yesterday (since I live in the immediate area) about the request for rezoning to commercial on the first floor and residential on the second. If I were available for the meeting, I would go to support the rezoning. This project turned out really well.

Is that Pita Bakery still open on the corner? Might check that out if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Is that Pita Bakery still open on the corner? Might check that out if it is.
    Their bread is pretty good, but if you're looking for a gyros sandwich, their meat is pretty bland, do yourself a favor and go to Gyros City Cafe.

Received a notice from the city yesterday (since I live in the immediate area) about the request for rezoning to commercial on the first floor and residential on the second. If I were available for the meeting, I would go to support the rezoning. This project turned out really well.
    Thank you! We are proud. We are wanting to build a brick façade garage with rooftop access and studio space on top in the adjoining vacant lot where we had the previous house demolished. To do this we have to rezone. If you would be willing to write a short letter of support I can give it to our lawyer to take to the meeting. It would be much appreciated. Amy

Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

The meeting is this Thursday 5/13. Will keep you updated.

Quick question Amy, what was the thought process of keeping the glass block window on the north side and replacing the rest of them?

The glass blocks are new. It was an original casement window before. That window as well as the window to the bedroom had been drywalled/paneled over at some point. I suspect in order to not deal with leaky windows and mortar problems. We unearthed the covered windows and replaced them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-22 12.33.15.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	16856

Let us know how it goes tomorrow!
    It passed the Planning Commission unanimously. One hurdle down.

Thread Information