Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Strawberry Fields

Default Re: Strawberry Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Closest historic angle I could find:
    Is it just me or did it look a bit more developed in 1932 than it does now?

Wow. I like it.

With all the residential in deep deuce and that which is coming online in bricktown, I would love to see an urban Walmart like this across the street from nonnas painted door on Sheridan and mickey mantle. Next to the plow or even in front of the usual building. All these spots would be right on the bricktown loop streetcar route so if lived in bricktown or deep deuce you wouldn't have to take the whole loop around before you got back to your stop. In getting all giddy about an urban grocery store downtown.

Midtown would be another great spot for an urban grocery store. On the lot across from fassler hall would be ideal to me. Right on the street car route.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_on_mines View Post
    Midtown would be another great spot for an urban grocery store. On the lot across from fassler hall would be ideal to me. Right on the street car route.
    Yeah having it on the streetcar route would be ideal. The Mercedes-Benz dealership location (since the dealership is soon relocating to Edmond) would also be ideal.

Given the explosion of downtown over the past few years it really surprises me there still isn't a decent downtown grocer. You have the 18th and Classen Homeland which is pretty awful and then the next nearest thing is all the way up on NW Expressway. I wonder how many more rooftops are needed in downtown OKC for a grocer to be viable? SQ 792 should help out as well once it goes into effect. A grocer that opens up downtown can have a heavy beer/wine focus to help increase its profit margin.

I believe Mickey Clagg intends on having another development similar to Fassler Hall on the vacant tract of land south of Fassler. To my understanding, Bleu Garten and the surrounding area is the site he intends to attract a grocery store to. He wants to develop everything he owns around that site until it is the only vacant tract that is left.

Pei and his cult like followers pretty much killed downtown OKC IMO.

BTW-There use to be a grocery store downtown I believe named Burger Brothers. Think it was just south of Reno a couple blocks maybe on Walker or Harvey.

The hardest lesson we never learned: Don't go demolishing your culturally irreplaceable buildings for the promise of building something new and shinny until you are pretty darn sure that new and shinny thing really is going to get built.

Something something Stage Center....

funk jr. should really consider reaching out to the strawberry fields people and bring them on board as partner/investors in his energy stadium quest.
    since the producer's coop site is now ruled out, the next best site for energy stadium is across the park from the new convention center.
    i think the two groups can form a symbiotic relationship since they both need to gain traction and momentum for their respective development projects.
    merging their synergies and hop onto the current trend of downtown development just about seems as the most logical strategy. just saying.

I believe they're actually trying to have the soccer stadium in the wheeler district. I think having it at the wheeler district will help for the improvement of the south side and make way for even more developments in that area in the future

10. Default Re: Strawberry Fields

^^^^^^
    I don't believe they are looking at Wheeler DISTRICT, but are instead considering Wheeler PARK, which is north of the river. I think there is some public confusion about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^
    I don't believe they are looking at Wheeler DISTRICT, but are instead considering Wheeler PARK, which is north of the river. I think there is some public confusion about this.
    Oh yeah! Thanks for clearing it up!

IMO I dont think Funk jr. and the strawberry fields team would have the pockets to pull off something that big anyways. They would probably need a third party and they would have to have deep pockets.

13. Default Re: Strawberry Fields

^^^^^
    Uh, Bob has more access to capital than all but a handful of people in this state. Like, maybe you could count them on a single hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Yeah having it on the streetcar route would be ideal. The Mercedes-Benz dealership location (since the dealership is soon relocating to Edmond) would also be ideal.

Given the explosion of downtown over the past few years it really surprises me there still isn't a decent downtown grocer. You have the 18th and Classen Homeland which is pretty awful and then the next nearest thing is all the way up on NW Expressway. I wonder how many more rooftops are needed in downtown OKC for a grocer to be viable? SQ 792 should help out as well once it goes into effect. A grocer that opens up downtown can have a heavy beer/wine focus to help increase its profit margin.
    I so agree with this.....I have to say I'm more than surprised.....I'm a hit shocked honestly. I mean, the law school, acm/uco, civic center lofts, deep deuce, metropolitan/maywood, et cetera ; I'm not abreast of the particulars but I know we just voted/approved looser laws on alcohol so I thought with all the rumors over the last year (or maybe two) from journalists and a host of OKC forums, I surely thought we'd have one in construction by now.

HOWEVER, like I've mentioned time and again. I strongly believe that while we, at one point, were decades behind cities in the same tier/competitive market as us, it is paramount that whilst on this tidal wave/explosion of business and growth and the effort put in by both city officials and communities to foster walkable and mixed use developments with an outdoor room concept that we capitalize on the mistakes of other cities and make this place work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    I believe Mickey Clagg intends on having another development similar to Fassler Hall on the vacant tract of land south of Fassler. To my understanding, Bleu Garten and the surrounding area is the site he intends to attract a grocery store to. He wants to develop everything he owns around that site until it is the only vacant tract that is left.
    Listen, I'm not one to negatively critique....I'm just loving this growth my city is experiencing. ....but I have to wonder though, why wait? I get it....patience is a virtue. But sometimes I think we can forget how all of the maps 3 projects and all the current city wide developments are literally each a game changer in their own rights.....with that said, with a streetcar purposely designed to service the midtown community, why are we waiting? Lets go big or go home right?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Pei and his cult like followers pretty much killed downtown OKC IMO.

BTW-There use to be a grocery store downtown I believe named Burger Brothers. Think it was just south of Reno a couple blocks maybe on Walker or Harvey.
    Yeah....I read the article Steve lackmeyer did on that guy lol.....some of the comments had me dying from laughter

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    The hardest lesson we never learned: Don't go demolishing your culturally irreplaceable buildings for the promise of building something new and shinny until you are pretty darn sure that new and shinny thing really is going to get built.

Something something Stage Center....
    This one still urks me to the core.....I worked at a credit union and since that company has a close/knit relationship with them from time to time the 'young' lady running things at OG&E would come into our branch on northwest expressway. If I knew then what I perceive now I would have pleaded with her to not tear that place down until things are set in stone and money is at hand. Especially since now a structure like that would probably face all kinds of ridicule from those with the role of voting on it.

The fact that news channels here covered/recorded interviews with locals who showed Hp to see jet demolished showed the public's acknowledgement and appreciation of that structure and the memories involved.

^^^^^^
    See this what has me confused.....I thought he was teaming up with Blair Humphreys with the wheeler district. Which in my opinion would be a 500ft home run after the 7th inning stretch. Making the concept of a streetcar to the capitol hill south east 29th street district much more feasible and productive.

^^^^^
    Uh, Bob has more access to capital than all but a handful of people in this state. Like, maybe you could count them on a single hand.
    Hey urbanized,

You seem pretty knowledgeable and "in the know".....so riddle me this

We have billionaires here in OKLAHOMA. Its not like Texas or Utah or other states have all the people with money....yet in some cases the folks with money in other states shell out money for monumental projects in their cities/states.....there was even a billionaire courtside at a thunder game heckling lebron James that got a lil pub from national media outlets. I guess what I am asking is, yes hobby lobby, paycom, Devon, loves, and a host of others have done a lot here and no one could take that away from them....but we are lacking in some key areas (public/mass transit , innovation link, etc)......is it me or are OUr fellow okies just sitting and waiting for the right moment to come in and take us from a tier 2 to a tier 1 city? Am I being too "what have you done for me lately" and forgetting what they have already done?

Hey urbanized,

You seem pretty knowledgeable and "in the know".....so riddle me this

We have billionaires here in OKLAHOMA. Its not like Texas or Utah or other states have all the people with money....yet in some cases the folks with money in other states shell out money for monumental projects in their cities/states.....there was even a billionaire courtside at a thunder game heckling lebron James that got a lil pub from national media outlets. I guess what I am asking is, yes hobby lobby, paycom, Devon, loves, and a host of others have done a lot here and no one could take that away from them....but we are lacking in some key areas (public/mass transit , innovation link, etc)......is it me or are OUr fellow okies just sitting and waiting for the right moment to come in and take us from a tier 2 to a tier 1 city? Am I being too "what have you done for me lately" and forgetting what they have already done?
    You are dead on with this commentary. Our billionaires are not quite as benevolent as Tulsa's, namely George Kaiser, who is literally matching the taxpayers of that city for the development of their fabulous urban park. He also funds dozens of life-changing non-profits. Then Tulsa has folks like the Schusterman's, etc. Our rich guys in OKC give money to right-wing politicians and oil-industry-related lobbying causes and build bible museums in other cities. Big difference.

Soonerguru

I was concerned and felt maybe I should delete that comment because maybe I was ignorant of the facts and not "in the know" ass to why OUr billionaires are waiting.....and what are they waiting for.

But alas, it seems in not the only one who ponders this. Again, I must attest, hobby lobby, Devon, sonic, (the list goes on and on) have all shown loyalty and a desire to commit and foster growth here in OKC. But a cousin of mines showed me the photos of the BILLION dollar investment in salt lake city I believe.....I mean, just a guy with money to spend saying, "hey, we need a first class train station and mall in our downtown....yeah, I've got the funds lets do it." and then walla its done.....residential towers in OKC? come on.....where are the movers and shakers? People act like Houston and Dallas were mega metropolis cities in the late 90's early 2000's. I remember, Houston wasnt the Houston it is now.....nor was Dallas. They weren't tiny but I'm saying it just didn't happen, it took work and dedication but it also took pride and enthusiasm from locals who had the fund to just go out and do it.

Ok, ill shut up now and open the floor for those "in the know" to bring me up to speed.

Soonerguru

I was concerned and felt maybe I should delete that comment because maybe I was ignorant of the facts and not "in the know" ass to why OUr billionaires are waiting.....and what are they waiting for.

But alas, it seems in not the only one who ponders this.
    Yep. I wrote this little blog post in 2013: https://urbanlakeeffect.wordpress.co...-improvements/

I've long had this thought...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Yep. I wrote this little blog post in 2013: https://urbanlakeeffect.wordpress.co...-improvements/

I've long had this thought...
    Right on dude.....I like the picture. Where is that?

Sidenote- I think the producers Co-up plan should include widening the canal through their property to allow for two-way river boat traffic AND for people to use their personal boats just like in your picture on that blog.

Thanks for sharing by the way

Right on dude.....I like the picture. Where is that?
    99.9% sure it's Amsterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    99.9% sure it's Amsterdam.
    That it is.

Thread Information