Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Strawberry Fields

Default Re: Strawberry Fields

so the entire block on the north-west corner of walker and SW 5th has been completely razed to the ground. bulldozers and other heavy duty equipment remain on site. i've tried to look for any projects proposed for this site but haven't found any yet. i wonder what exactly is the site being prep'ed for???

Quote Originally Posted by OKC2017 View Post
    so the entire block on the north-west corner of walker and SW 5th has been completely razed to the ground. bulldozers and other heavy duty equipment remain on site. i've tried to look for any projects proposed for this site but haven't found any yet. i wonder what exactly is the site being prep'ed for???
    They have been systematically tearing down everything in that area.

They are planning to renovate a few old warehouses along SW 3rd, but beyond that pretty much everything else will be scraped even though it will take decades to fully build out this project.

I'm sure a huge part of it is liability due to people breaking in and then when it turns cold, the homeless light fires which often result in big blazes.

Strawberry Fields for never...

I haven't looked through this entire thread, but has anything been mentioned about the historic bohemian hall that is now the fountain of faith church? That would be a shame to lose, and it's such a small lot that could easily be kept. I know OKC loves bulldozing historic buildings though, and it's an old wooden structure...

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    I haven't looked through this entire thread, but has anything been mentioned about the historic bohemian hall that is now the fountain of faith church? That would be a shame to lose, and it's such a small lot that could easily be kept. I know OKC loves bulldozing historic buildings though, and it's an old wooden structure...
    That is one of the very few properties in the area that the Strawberry Fields group does not own.

Also, that church is within design review borders so nothing could be done to it without proper review, including public input.

I love that building and hope it just carries on when and if this development starts to take shape.

Work to start on first project in Strawberry Fields

Design plans have been submitted for the first project in the massive Strawberry Fields development just to the west of Scissortail Park in downtown Oklahoma City.

A local investment group has systematically acquired nearly 300 lots near the new park and is planning a large mixed-use development.

Plans show the intent to renovate two historic brick buildings at 716 and 726 SW 3rd; a small structure between the two would be demolished to create a plaza. New space would be created for a bar, restaurant and other commercial uses.

MA+ Architecture is performing the design work.

I wish they were starting closer to the park. Build on the active use in that area by creating additional attractions within non-intimidating walking distance.

I mean, I'd walk that far, but I'm willing to walk by empty fields and warehouses. Random park-goers aren't even going to know there's stuff to visit that many blocks over and probably wouldn't walk the unfriendly route if they knew.

They are mandated by the sales agreement with the city to start relatively soon on the old Goodwill parcel on the boulevard immediately west of the park.

We should see some plan for that in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are mandated by the sales agreement with the city to start relatively soon on the old Goodwill parcel on the boulevard immediately west of the park.

they have to know that a home run on this plot will kick start the entire development .

That helps.

Thinking a bit more on what we are seeing here, I also wish there was a bit more building frontage right up against the park, less of those semi-suburban setbacks.

Don't tease me! I was for sure this was a dead deal for a long time to come.

Seems strange to me you would announce such a large scale project when you don't have key pieces of the land secured you are proposing using in the project. Just a thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5DDF4DEA-0D79-4603-9174-769DED8A3E9E.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	17111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD7A25A2-2823-432A-9444-E6ED312B61B5.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	17112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8B640AF-57F7-4282-8E96-BE2EE3A22E8B.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	17113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F49F386-5D88-44BE-86B1-7450524C44C4.jpeg 
Size:	1,009.1 KB 
ID:	17114
    I really hope this development aims to have protected bike lanes. This IMO is vital to the success of the area since no where in the city do we see protected bike lanes like this

Quote Originally Posted by gotro83 View Post
    Seems strange to me you would announce such a large scale project when you don't have key pieces of the land secured you are proposing using in the project. Just a thought.
    Where did you get the they don't have these areas owned?

Blog Entries

Glad to see some buildings being kept

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5DDF4DEA-0D79-4603-9174-769DED8A3E9E.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	17111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD7A25A2-2823-432A-9444-E6ED312B61B5.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	17112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8B640AF-57F7-4282-8E96-BE2EE3A22E8B.jpeg 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	17113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F49F386-5D88-44BE-86B1-7450524C44C4.jpeg 
Size:	1,009.1 KB 
ID:	17114
    I really hope this development aims to have protected bike lanes. This IMO is vital to the success of the area since no where in the city do we see protected bike lanes like this
    I was just thinking a large network of bike lanes would be cool here but who will improve the streets? Can they get TIF money to do it? This is actually a case where I’d support TIF to improve infrastructure. I also hope they bury the utility lines.

Blog Entries

Pete, are we sure they own all the land you have outlined in red? I could swear I rode through that area in the spring and saw a bunch of relator signs on individual plots where houses used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I wish they were starting closer to the park. Build on the active use in that area by creating additional attractions within non-intimidating walking distance.

I mean, I'd walk that far, but I'm willing to walk by empty fields and warehouses. Random park-goers aren't even going to know there's stuff to visit that many blocks over and probably wouldn't walk the unfriendly route if they knew.
    I agree with you David, I will definitely visit the project, but maybe they could build a nice sidewalk to help bring people from the park.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That helps.

Thinking a bit more on what we are seeing here, I also wish there was a bit more building frontage right up against the park, less of those semi-suburban setbacks.
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what is going on with the buildings along Hudson. Very odd IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I was just thinking a large network of bike lanes would be cool here but who will improve the streets? Can they get TIF money to do it? This is actually a case where I’d support TIF to improve infrastructure. I also hope they bury the utility lines.
    2017 Go Bonds Better Streets, Safer City 10-year, $967 million, should take care of those streets, bike lanes, signage; just need to follow-up to make sure the bike lanes are included--so far that hasn't been a problem. Hope they can pull from those funds or left over MAPS surplus funds.

VeloCity: Better Streets, Safer City program makes progress - https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/ins...ack=super_blog

If discussion about the buildings along Hudson is referring to all of the midrise buildings, those are purely conceptual, and not any specific proposals. It's very unlikely that anything remotely like that will get built. Note that
    Social Capital isn't even depicted.

They posted on their FB page where they tore down a fairly large blue and white commercial building, saying it's preparation for their first project.

^

The recent demolitions are shown right in the center of this photo I took today:

Is Strawberry Fields associated with Hilltop Plaza?
    Or maybe the Strawberry Fields no longer includes Goodwill because of https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=45479

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Is Strawberry Fields associated with Hilltop Plaza?
    Or maybe the Strawberry Fields no longer includes Goodwill because of https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=45479
    Yes, Hilltop Plaza is an LLC owned by Fred Maraheri.

Mazaheri is part of the Strawberry Fields group that is hoping to develop that entire area.

Thread Information