Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Good Times (formerly Fat Dog)

1. Default Re: Good Times (formerly Fat Dog)

**dyno-mite**!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Good Times (formerly Fat Dog)

Went there last night for the first time.

Didn't order food but service was friendly and helpful for drinks.

Arriving at 8 there were about 10 people but I left near midnight the entire patio was packed. Cars parked all over the place at surrounding businesses and streets.

Oddly, there was absolutely no one inside but the bartenders and people paying their tabs.

In a short time, they have definitely found a big following. I never saw anywhere close to that many people at Fat Dog, even on the weekend.

They changed out the color scheme to make it more gritty (to serve their dive bar theme) but the place doesn't look considerably different.

Will be interesting to see how they do in the cold months.

I went here the other day (or whenever RuPaul's finale was, they were hosting a watch party with lots of people there) and had some pretty fantastic food. The cheeseburger I got was very thick, juicy and very very tasty. My friend ordered the fried pickles. I was expecting the normal super crispy hamburger shaped pickles, but they have spears and although perfectly crispy they weren't overdone like a lot of places tend to do. We also ordered the stoner nachos and added the chicken. I was very hesitant about this concept, but holy cow the Doritos breaded chicken was so good. Maybe the best nachos I've had (and was not stoned so I promise they are good). I really couldn't believe how much I loved it. Drinks were really good too! Will definitely put this in my rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Went there last night for the first time.

Didn't order food but service was friendly and helpful for drinks.

Arriving at 8 there were about 10 people but I left near midnight the entire patio was packed. Cars parked all over the place at surrounding businesses and streets.

Oddly, there was absolutely no one inside but the bartenders and people paying their tabs.

In a short time, they have definitely found a big following. I never saw anywhere close to that many people at Fat Dog, even on the weekend.

They changed out the color scheme to make it more gritty (to serve their dive bar theme) but the place doesn't look considerably different.

Will be interesting to see how they do in the cold months.
    A huge portion of the business are restaurant employees from several different properties. A lot of my staff goes there after shifts on almost a nightly basis. You are on to something about the cold months, the inside of Good Times is pretty small. I think the winter months are going to be rough for them if the transient nature of restaurant employees doesn't mess things up first.

^

I assumed it was a lot of people from the service industry.

Went with a decent sized group last weekend and were hanging out on the back patio. I noticed all the space heaters were off, so one of our group went inside to inquire about getting them turned on and the employee said that they were out of propane. We had too many to sit inside and there was already another group around the firepit so we were forced to leave after our first round of drinks due to the females getting cold. While we were getting everybody rounded up we saw another good sized group doing the same thing. Not ragging on the place, it's actually one of my favorite bars in OKC right now, but I was kind of shocked at the lack of planning there.
    Number one, the place is marketed as a patio bar so I would think that making sure the patio was a functional space in the winter months would be crucial to their operations.
    Number two, there is a 24 hr 7-11 with propane literally a block and a half from the bar- we had planned on staying there all night so our group alone would have easily covered the cost of propane refills and would have taken someone less than 10 mins to walk there and back.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Number two, there is a 24 hr 7-11 with propane literally a block and a half from the bar- we had planned on staying there all night so our group alone would have easily covered the cost of propane refills and would have taken someone less than 10 mins to walk there and back.
    The attitude of "We're out, sorry" seems to be more and more prevalent nowadays. Used to be that when restaurants ran out of something, they went out to a store and bought it rather than say "We're out, sorry", or if a *$ ran out of cups, they'd call another one and get some run over, but things like that just don't seem to be part of the mindset these days. Lipsmackers is still doing it the old school way, though, so props to him for that!

8. Default Re: Good Times (formerly Fat Dog)

Ran into Dollar Tree the other day, the we're out of bags, using some trash bag as a fill in. Same thought, are there not enough other stores around to borrow from?
    Today many don't seem to understand it, yes, it may cost you to grab something from 7-11 or even Sam's Club, but it happens. Truck is delayed, item shorted, damaged, etc.We always had petty cash for those times

Good Times reopened in November and then closed briefly due to a Covid issue.

They are now open again.

Nice! I wondered if they were ever coming back, used to be one of my favorite hangouts and I'd almost forgotten about the place it has been closed so long.

Thread Information