Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 14 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Park

Auto Alley Broadway Park

An ambitious plan to replace a vacant service station with a 5-story mixed use building has been revealed for the north end of Automobile Alley at 1122 N. Broadway.

Safdar Muhammad – who also owns the gas station and convenience store directly west across Broadway – has submitted plans to the Downtown Design review committee for a building which would include retail, office and restaurant space as well as a multi-level parking structure.

The property had most recently been operated as an auto shop but has been vacant for a number of years.

Dubbed Broadway Place, the new structure would feature space for a 'table cloth' restaurant with outdoor seating on the fourth floor as well as an area on the rooftop for outdoor entertainment, parties and receptions.

The office space includes balconies for outdoor furniture and views of the downtown skyline.

Directly north of the project is a large park and the proposed location for the new Oklahoma Contemporary museum. To the south are recently renovated and historic Pontiac and Buick buildings. The new Hatch breakfast and lunch spot is just starting work and will join Broadway 10 and Sidecar as drinking and dining options at NW 10th and Broadway.

The plans will be reviewed at an meeting on April 21st. Design is by GSB of Oklahoma City.

Default Re: Broadway Place

This is awesome! Infill! Top floor restaurants, built in parking, new retail, awesome looking design, street level. This is a total win.

It's also a key gateway property as people enter Auto Alley and downtown from the north.

I'm currently in Kansas City, which is an AMAZING city, and there is a stretch of road that goes from downtown then heads south called Main Street that then turns into Brookside. It's where the Nelson Atkins Art Museum is located. But it reminds me a lot of Broadway from Auto Alley heading north. But this area is Street level buildings, all 3 stories plus for several miles. Not to mention almost total street wall. It's really a cool sight.

I would love to see Broadway extend to 23rd with retail and residential with similar buildings. This is a great start!

Very cool.

This would be a tremendous addition! I hope this comes to fruition...

Blog Entries

This is a grand slam, hope it gets built.

Nice

9. Default Re: Broadway Place

Likely to get some design review pushback.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I hope it does. The current design...YIKES.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Okay, I'll bite, and admittedly don't know much here, but is there an AA design district, and where does it end? This is the northern border I'd guess right? This design looks something on the street side like the building that houses Waffle Champion on Walker.

Without knowing exactly what the materials are, what is wrong with the design?

News ok/Steve firing shots @ the validity of this development.

Steve's opinion blog piece is here: Background on the Proposed Five-Story Development on Broadway | News OK

In essence, he's basically just overemphasizing what we already know: This is a proposed building and all elements are subject to change up to the point at which it gets built - if it does get built.

All of that said, if this building does come to fruition and in a similar fashion to what has been proposed, then this is absolutely a slam dunk. A definite win for OKC and Automobile Alley!

"The following rendering popped up online" -- it really takes effort to write in such a passive voice so as to ensure not to acknowledge OKCTalk's contribution to the dialogue about development.

^
    I enjoy his articles, but they are sometimes the written equivalent of "throwing shade."

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    "The following rendering popped up online" -- it really takes effort to write in such a passive voice so as to ensure not to acknowledge OKCTalk's contribution to the dialogue about development.
    Nobody else even knew about this until we reported on it, which is the case for almost everything on our News page.

I used to really like Lackmeyer's stuff, until I started to learn the truth behind the scenes about a few things. I've grown very tired of his selective commentary supported by omission of facts, his insistence upon being privy to ongoing private business dealings under threat of negative commentary, and character assassinations based on events unrelated to the matter at hand, all the while standing on his marble pedestal saying "I'm just asking annoying questions". My impression is now "self-aggrandizing internet bully".

Don't want to turn this into a bash Steve / OPUBCO thing as we have a thread for discussing such things.

But did want to point out that this particular story -- and many more like it -- originate here and we are virtually never given any credit, apart from KOCO who does a good job of that.

Otherwise, I'm trying to stay on the high road here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Don't want to turn this into a bash Steve / OPUBCO thing as we have a thread for discussing such things.

But did want to point out that this particular story -- and many more like it -- originate here and we are virtually never given any credit, apart from KOCO who does a good job of that.

Otherwise, I'm trying to stay on the high road here.
    Forgive me for turning to the negative. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    I used to really like Lackmeyer's stuff, until I started to learn the truth behind the scenes about a few things. I've grown very tired of his selective commentary supported by omission of facts, his insistence upon being privy to ongoing private business dealings under threat of negative commentary, and character assassinations based on events unrelated to the matter at hand, all the while standing on his marble pedestal saying "I'm just asking annoying questions". My impression is now "self-aggrandizing internet bully".
    Following him on Twitter has been, um, illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Following him on Twitter has been, um, illuminating.
    Ummm, right? The Doerflinger (whom I vehemently disagree with) discussion was was miles out of line. Talk about bad life decisions.

Default Re: Broadway Park

Couple of new renderings.

This project goes before the Downtown Design Review Committee on April 21st:

24. Default Re: Broadway Park

OMG, looks amazing and will really anchor in AAlley as the OKC's premier urban retail destination.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

25. Default Re: Broadway Park

What is the specified exterior? Is that CINDER BLOCK?

Thread Information