Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Broadway Park

Default Re: Broadway Park

This building looks much better in person:

If they sticked with the original design, the balconies would look more elegant, less bulky.

Blog Entries

I think it is important to have architectural diversity reflecting the local style and the aspirations of its citizens, as well as the building owner. This one seems to be a heavy dark hulking mass with a variety of attachments that don’t seem to work together .... heavy feeling balconies that look like an afterthought .... blades of color that look added just to keep the building from being invisible. All in all it looks more like a 1940s styled Russian building like I’ve seen in Shanghai, Cairo and other places. I like lots of styles, but this one just emits depression.

Sorry, this is just my opinion. Glad to have the infill, but sorry this serves as an entryway to AA and downtown on this important artery. Unfortunately with the park on its Northside, it can’t be covered up with another building.

It does look better in person, but still not good. And it makes me sad to see how much $ went into this and it is just tons of SPACE AVAILABLE signage, depressing reminder of what 2020 is.

The blue doors and window encasements is what is throwing off the vibe for me. But the original design was leagues better, ruined by DDR.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    It does look better in person, but still not good. And it makes me sad to see how much $ went into this and it is just tons of SPACE AVAILABLE signage, depressing reminder of what 2020 is.

The blue doors and window encasements is what is throwing off the vibe for me. But the original design was leagues better, ruined by...
    Rand Elliott.

//There, fixed it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Rand Elliott.

//There, fixed it.
    Ah, this site's favorite whipping dog. LOL. Every bad decision or execution made in Oklahoma is either Rand Elliot or Mike Stoop's responsibility.

Blog Entries

I _LIKE_ Rand's projects, I just wish he believed in interacting with the street/built environment more/better. And I wish he would give the same consideration to other peoples projects as he wants for his. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Ah, this site's favorite whipping dog. LOL. Every bad decision or execution made in Oklahoma is either Rand Elliot or Mike Stoop's responsibility.
    Well, he very specifically intervened in a good project and made it worse. It's not like it's some grand anti-Rand conspiracy.

Rand's interior spaces are often fantastic to look at... but his interface with the urban realm always leaves a lot to be desired.

But in this particular instance, it's not about his design, it's about his interference with someone else's design. And as others said, he took a good project and forced it to be worse. I'm guessing he wanted the building killed, but a secondary benefit to him is that his museum across the street looks even grander next to this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Well, he very specifically intervened in a good project and made it worse. It's not like it's some grand anti-Rand conspiracy.
    I disagree that it was good to begin with, but I do agree it is worse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Rand's interior spaces are often fantastic to look at... but his interface with the urban realm always leaves a lot to be desired.

But in this particular instance, it's not about his design, it's about his interference with someone else's design. And as others said, he took a good project and forced it to be worse. I'm guessing he wanted the building killed, but a secondary benefit to him is that his museum across the street looks even grander next to this.
    I believe he was part of a review process and wasn't acting alone. Rand doesn't sabotage or need to sabotage other people's works... that's where I call BS. If you believe that he shouldn't be on a review board, so be it. And if you don't like the style of his works, great. To each their own. But an accusation of blatant and petty subterfuge is just crazy or paranoid.

I had to look back at the original proposal...only slightly better imho
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broadwaypark041216a.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	16482

Yeah I was gonna say...there really aren't too many differences between the initial renderings and the final product unless I'm missing something.

I believe he was part of a review process and wasn't acting alone. Rand doesn't sabotage or need to sabotage other people's works... that's where I call BS. If you believe that he shouldn't be on a review board, so be it. And if you don't like the style of his works, great. To each their own. But an accusation of blatant and petty subterfuge is just crazy or paranoid.
    he wasn't on any part of any official review of this project .... he said he was on the AA review board which had/has no authority whatsoever ...

so yes he very much was responsible for the changes to this project

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    he wasn't on any part of any official review of this project .... he said he was on the AA review board which had/has no authority whatsoever ...

so yes he very much was responsible for the changes to this project
    This went through the DDRC. Know you hate Rand, but take your issues to them. If they took input from someone you have a beef with, you should argue your case in front of them when you can. Show your credentials and state your case. The hate for Rand is palpable on this site and mostly seems personal. I assume it’s because he hasn’t designed 100 yr old looking buildings and because of his 40 years of doing significant projects in this city has given him a network of supporters and credibility.

The hate for Rand is palpable on this site and mostly seems personal.
    Do NOT twist the opinions of a few to characterize a site with thousands of posters and tens of thousands of readers.

Make your own points without invoking a ridiculous strawman.

This went through the DDRC. Know you hate Rand, but take your issues to them. If they took input from someone you have a beef with, you should argue your case in front of them when you can. Show your credentials and state your case. The hate for Rand is palpable on this site and mostly seems personal. I assume it’s because he hasn’t designed 100 yr old looking buildings and because of his 40 years of doing significant projects in this city has given him a network of supporters and credibility.
    "i hate rand" i love almost all of his projects .... i have only met him a few times so i don't know him but he seems fine .... he was just very much on the wrong side of this project ... (as well as the okc community foundtion expantion"

All this back and forth, is there anyone else thinks the end result looks nice? I like the design we got.

The hate for Rand is palpable on this site and mostly seems personal.
    If you find very specific critiques of specific projects as "palpable" and "personal" then I suspect you're projecting your own emotions here. I, for one, have no ill feelings toward Rand and don't know him. I disagree with his role in demanding changes to this project and also disagree with his anti-urban designs that ignore people (see the lack of trees or sidewalks at the boathouses). I appreciate his bold and modern designs. Insinuating this site has it out for Rand is silly. Almost everyone here applauded and wanted to see his Full Moon project succeed. The Heartland HQ is widely praised. Rand gets praise and critique across the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Do NOT twist the opinions of a few to characterize a site with thousands of posters and tens of thousands of readers.

Make your own points without invoking a ridiculous strawman.
    Ha, yeah. I certainly don't hate Rand, I just dislike the way he typically treats the urban realm, pedestrian interactions, and projects that aren't his. His Heartland HQ is fantastic.

Does this building have tenants yet? They should honestly just do a remodel to make this into high-end condos. I know they built out kitchens in one of the ground floor spaces, but you can utilize for commercial-style kitchen. Maybe leave the top floor as restaurant space as it is definitely setup for that. Or make it a penthouse and charge something insane.

With a unit on each floor, you could probably fetch close to a million each.

Still completely empty.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210716_100559.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	16973

Walked by Friday morning. Seems completely done.

24. Default Re: Broadway Park

why put (or market) office space on the ground floor? Why not have it as retail, restaurant space?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    why put (or market) office space on the ground floor? Why not have it as retail, restaurant space?
    It could be that the leasing sign is just on the first floor. Maybe it doesn't go super in-depth, and the office space is actually above the first floor. Could be wrong, though.

Thread Information