Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Park

Default Re: Broadway Park

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume grey stone something like this, though perhaps more uniform:

Obviously cinder block should be a 100% no go. One Rick Dowell cinder block parking garage fulfills our cinder block quota really for the entire 600+ square miles of OKC, but certainly for downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yep - staff report says brick.

Also, the staff report is pretty negative... recommends continuance of the building itself so that the applicant can modify various things.

What specifically do they not like about it? Several people have commented negatively on the design and I'm just not seeing what's so bad about it?

I mean, we could get super picky about certain things, but if we let Chase build that abomination on 4th/Broadway and we let Dowell get away with that developing country garage, what are we so up in arms about here?

STAFF RECOMMENDATION
    1. Approve Case Items 1, Demolition; 3, Sidewalks; and 5, Landscaping/Site
    Improvements on the basis that the project complies with the regulations and
    guidelines of the Downtown Design District zoning ordinance as referenced in
    Section C of the Staff Report.
    2. Continue Case Items 2, Main Building and 6, Screening/Fencing to the June
    16, 2016 meeting so that the applicant can:
    a. Eliminate the exterior balconies.
    b. Eliminate the sloped standing seam metal roof and redesign with a
    parapet.
    c. Revise the upper floor window pattern.
    d. Incorporate reference to the historic filling station use or building.
    e. Provide additional details of the dumpster and transformer screening.
    3. Continue Case Item 4, Signage to the June 16, 2016 meeting so that the
    applicant can coordinate the signage with the revised building design.

But while we're levying complaints, my #1 and biggest complaint is that there are not front doors at the corner. But when developers do that right in OKC it's a majorily pleasent surprise. There should be a $1,000,000 fine for even presenting any sort of new building in urban areas without doors facing the center of the intersection.

Additionally, the first floor should be at least 1 foot higher if not 2, and the glass should extend all the way to the bottom of the 2nd floor.

And perhaps a couple of other issues, but these are all things that were ignored at the Edge, Level, Springhill Suites, etc etc etc.

I'm just going to pretend like I didn't read the part about eliminating the exterior balconies.

DDRC is at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'm just going to pretend like I didn't read the part about eliminating the exterior balconies.

DDRC is at it again.
    I don't understand why they'd want to eliminate the balconies? Anyone?

Blog Entries

Pete, what do you suppose their objection to the exterior balconies is? Are you aware of any design guidelines for AA which mention balconies?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Pete, what do you suppose their objection to the exterior balconies is? Are you aware of any design guidelines for AA which mention balconies?
    The full report said none of the other buildings in the area have them and therefore they are out of place.

The full report said none of the other buildings in the area have them and therefore they are out of place.
    lol

Blog Entries

Actually, the old CR Anthony Building at 6th has outside balconies at the corner.

Is there a way to appeal that part of the decision?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Is there a way to appeal that part of the decision?
    The comments are only recommendations by staff from the planning department.

The Downtown Design Review Committee will ultimately make the decision at their next meeting (unless continued).

I believe these are just staff recommendations, right? Nothing to appeal yet.

edit: missed Pete's post.

I'm more curious about the parapet suggestion.

17. Default Re: Broadway Park

That property falls within Downtown Business District (DBD) boundaries and as such the guidelines would encourage scale, window openings and materials use that are compatible with the surrounding building stock. All you have to do is look further down Broadway to see what design elements would easily breeze through the approval process. It's not rocket science, and staff is doing their job in making these recommendations. The DDRC itself doesn't have to abide by them, but in not doing so would probably not be doing their OWN jobs correctly. If you have questions about how DDRC and the downtown design review processes work, you should take some time and read this: https://www.okc.gov/planning/plannin...ownDec2015.pdf You can also reference this: https://www.okc.gov/planning/downtown_review/index.html

The staff report also notes that the balconies might not work in the "Oklahoma wind," and notes that the staff recommendations also reflect items heard from DDRC members during the previous DDRC meeting.

19. Default Re: Broadway Park

^^^^^
    OK the Oklahoma wind part is a little bit on the silly side.

20. Default Re: Broadway Park

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Actually, the old CR Anthony Building at 6th has outside balconies at the corner.
    No balconies on that building. The corner is just cut away, like a modern take on a light well. I can see how they would look like balconies if you didn't look close. That said, even if they were balconies they would fit within the footprint of the building. I think one of the things that people are finding visually jarring about this one is that balconies protrude willy-nilly in every direction from this structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^
    OK the Oklahoma wind part is a little bit on the silly side.
    Yep. It has no basis in code and wouldn't stand up at BOA/County Court if turned down on that basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    What is the specified exterior? Is that CINDER BLOCK?
    No, Rick Dowell has nothing to do with this.

These are the latest renderings which will be presented to the Downtown Design Review Committee next week:

As minute as the detail is, I like how the logo on the sign is similar to the old Conoco logo, and I love the way this building looks. I think that's a slam dunk. Build it!

Will be interesting to see the DDRC comments at their meeting this week.

Thread Information