Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edmond Icehouse

Edmond Edmond Icehouse

Jonathon Stranger and Russ Johnson, proprietors Ludivine and R&J Supper Club in Midtown, have revealed details for an ambitious new restaurant and bar in a historic downtown Edmond building.

Partnering once again with investor / developer Chip Fudge as they did at R&J, the pair is set to bring the long-vacant Edmond Ice House back to life.

Located at 101 W 2nd Street just west of the rail road tracks, construction will soon start on the 75 seat restaurant. The bar area is located in the existing double height portion of the structure and seating continues out on to a raised, covered patio planted all round with herbs for cocktails, and the existing concrete loading dock is re-purposed as a drinks porch.

Architecturally, a new kitchen / entrance wing and a patio will be added in a complimentary but contrasting form to the historic structure and will be clad in charred wood shou sugi ban siding, an historic Japanese technique for preserving timber. Traces of the history of the building are evident in the structure that remains in its patchwork of brick and concrete block facades.

The centerpiece of the kitchen – and the menu – will be a wood-fired baking oven which will product rustic comfort food. Items from the farmer's market next door will have a strong influence on the offerings.

As with Ludivine and R&J, there will be a large and inventive craft cocktail offering.

Stranger and Johnson are still working on a name and construction starts soon with opening later this year. Design is by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris of London.

Default Re: Edmond Creamery

This is very ambitious. This site is in a decaying industrial sector near the train tracks, with limited access and limited room for a parking lot (a requirement in Edmond).

I am in this area often, so I will be able to give photo updates during the project pretty easily.

I wonder if this will lead to some street work on 2nd st, as well as paving it from where it turns north to 1st street (I believe that's dirt/gravel). I also believe there's an empty lot behind this building. I don't know if it's part of the property or a separate property. If it's part of the property they may be planning on paving that for parking. With Roost on one side, and the farmer's market on the other (albeit across the railroad tracks) this has a potential to be a neat mini-district on the edge of downtown.

not sure what you could do for street work on 2nd street, since there's that embankment going up to the restaurant area.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    not sure what you could do for street work on 2nd street, since there's that embankment going up to the restaurant area.
    This is Edmond. The solution is always add a traffic light.

So is this going to be a Creamery and restaurant? Or just a restaurant? I'd love to have a local ice cream place in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This is Edmond. The solution is always add a traffic light.
    Especially on Second.

The old building was called the creamery but there will not be ice cream.

Just to clarify, on this stretch there is a difference between Second Street and Edmond Rd.

oh, right, i forgot about *that* 2nd street. it does need some work, unless they're going for the rustic feel of that street!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    oh, right, i forgot about *that* 2nd street. it does need some work, unless they're going for the rustic feel of that street!
    That street was freshly paved a few months ago. Unless you are talking about sidewalks and stuff, then yea there is nothing of that nature.

Looks like there are a couple options for parking. They might be able to repurpose some of the area near the tracks, or maybe come up with a way to connect the Farmer's Market parking lot to 2nd Street there.

This property is a decent size lot, there will be frontage parking (one row) along "2nd street", and then a lot behind the building as well. This is according to the renderings shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This property is a decent size lot, there will be frontage parking (one row) along "2nd street", and then a lot behind the building as well. This is according to the renderings shown.
    Looks like the renderings actually have parking on the west side of the lot as well I think.

Remember the city is planning on a pedestrian bridge going across the tracks fairly soon.

This article on newsok has some additional photos of the property. They also mention a second potential restaurant over there...

Restaurant is on menu for Edmond ice house | News OK

lol by all means don't install any insulation. That will be super easy heat and cool. Better hire AGE as consultants on what it takes to keep Cheevers comfortable.

Going before the city council on Monday

http://agenda.edmondok.com:8085/agen...0&pseq=&prev=#

Took this the other day. Also the building directly north of this recently got a paintjob and has a new tenant:

They've actually started the initial work on this project and it's going to be really slick.

Anyone have an eta on this place?

Early next year.

Pete
    Have you been able to get an approx date yet?
    really excited to have this in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Pete
    Have you been able to get an approx date yet?
    really excited to have this in Edmond.
    They should be starting soon but instead of the 3 concepts all at once, they make do the project in phases.

I talked to Russ Johnson after his group parted ways with Jonathon Stranger and it's all still moving forward, just more slowly.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I talked to Russ Johnson after his group parted ways with Jonathon Stranger and it's all still moving forward, just more slowly.
    Why did that pair part ways?

I get the historic nature of the creamery but I still think it's a bad idea to name it Edmond Creamery. I think they are just asking for a ton of confusion from prospective customers by naming their eatery Edmond Creamery yet serving rustic comfort food.

You hear a name and it sets your palette up for what you think you're going to taste but then you taste something completely in-congruent and it hits your palette wrong. Not that it's bad food, it just seems wrong given the name.

Thread Information