Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 151617181920

Thread: Aubrey McClendon

Default Re: Aubrey McClendon

^ #3 should be easy enough to rule out or in, shouldn't it? Timestamps on the phone (if it was recovered in working condition, which it may not've been) and/or interviews with anybody he would've been texting/emailing. Not sure if this would ever be made public, though, don't know how that kind of thing works, but seems like if it was that, OKCPD would've said "He was texting so-and-so and was apparently distracted and hit a wall and died".

Blog Entries

We may as well be discussing how to solve cancer. 99.9999999999999999% of the people discussing this are only doing so out of morbid curiosity and not trying to be scientifically correct, or even knowledgeable. Knowledge takes dedicated study while opinion and off the cuff remarks based on limited information apparently takes none and must make some feel smart. Who needs science or facts when you have rumor, innuendo, opinion and bias? Gossip is way more fun than propriety.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    We may as well be discussing how to solve cancer. 99.9999999999999999% of the people discussing this are only doing so out of morbid curiosity and not trying to be scientifically correct, or even knowledgeable..
    Absurd.

Spare us your self-righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't believe OCPD ever said anything about the possibility of drowsy driving. That was Rand Elliott quoted in the WSJ article.
    Pete, when I read the WSJ article that you posted I came to a different conclusion. In the article I believe Capt Balderama speculated that Aubrey was under tremendous stress...might not have been sleeping properly and could have suffered a medical event or fatigue induced sleep driving. Please read the article again and advise if you disagree.

Blog Entries

Absurd.

Spare us your self-righteousness.
    You are right. Gossip is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    The "wow" was basically for your snarky tone. And yes, I've read your "explanation" on how he somehow was daydreaming, blowing a stop sign at a high rate of speed almost a mile from the bridge, while keeping the vehicle on the road, and the gas pedal down then continuing to daydream while the vehicle goes off the road, for a short period of time, does not swerve or brake, before hitting the bridge at what, 80-90 mph? I don't buy it. I was seeing if anyone else had a reasonable explanation. I'll take common sense over made up science any day............but that's just me.
    After reading all the posts leading up to this... You are pretty out of line here.

When you are driving drowsy and nodding in and out of sleep...you don't slow down (again...I have first hand experience with this unfortunately). If anything, the fact that he slowed down and tapped the brakes before running into the wall makes it seem plausible that he was nodding in and out then fell completely asleep as he approached the bridge. At this point, that is just as plausible as the suicide theory that some have accepted as the only possibility. Also, while a medical emergency was ruled out as the cause of death...I haven't seen anything that's ruled out a stroke or another medical issue as the cause of the accident.

We may as well be discussing how to solve cancer. 99.9999999999999999% of the people discussing this are only doing so out of morbid curiosity and not trying to be scientifically correct, or even knowledgeable. Knowledge takes dedicated study while opinion and off the cuff remarks based on limited information apparently takes none and must make some feel smart. Who needs science or facts when you have rumor, innuendo, opinion and bias? Gossip is way more fun than propriety.
    LOL What is this gossip you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    After reading all the posts leading up to this... You are pretty out of line here.

When you are driving drowsy and nodding in and out of sleep...you don't slow down (again...I have first hand experience with this unfortunately). If anything, the fact that he slowed down and tapped the brakes before running into the wall makes it seem plausible that he was nodding in and out then fell completely asleep as he approached the bridge. At this point, that is just as plausible as the suicide theory that some have accepted as the only possibility. Also, while a medical emergency was ruled out as the cause of death...I haven't seen anything that's ruled out a stroke or another medical issue as the cause of the accident.
    Sorry, but I'm out of line here, yet you say you haven't seen anything that's ruled out a stroke or medical issue?? That was determined fairly soon, but hey, I'm out of line, so what do I know?

Blog Entries

LOL What is this gossip you are referring to?
    Regarding many, many comments on this thread and based on the definition:

gos·sip
    ˈɡäsəp/
    noun
    noun: gossip

casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.
    "he became the subject of much local gossip"
    synonyms: rumor(s), tittle-tattle, whispers, canards, tidbits

I would suggest that a discussion forum isn't the best place for someone who is offended by discussion and speculation.

Sorry, but I'm out of line here, yet you say you haven't seen anything that's ruled out a stroke or medical issue?? That was determined fairly soon, but hey, I'm out of line, so what do I know?
    Your tone is what was out of line as was calling studies and personal experiences regarding drowsy driving "made up science" when you clearly don't know what your talking about and/or haven't experienced it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the article stated that multiple blunt force trauma was the cause of death, I don't remember it ruling a medical issue out as the cause of the accident.

I would suggest that a discussion forum isn't the best place for someone who is offended by discussion and speculation.
    No like button, but let's pretend there is and I pressed it several billion times.

Blog Entries

Not offended by it. But it seems others may be offended by calling a spade a spade. So, anything is allowed EXCEPT candor as it tends to draw fire. If the board is about gossip, so be it. Just don't pretend it is about finding the truth or knowing the truth in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Your tone is what was out of line as was calling studies and personal experiences regarding drowsy driving "made up science" when you clearly don't know what your talking about and/or haven't experienced it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the article stated that multiple blunt force trauma was the cause of death, I don't remember it ruling a medical issue out as the cause of the accident.
    Yes, I was out of line saying it was made up science. To me though, with this particular situation, it seems like such a stretch that saying it was "made up" would not be that farfetched.

Anyway, about the medical issue..............

http://fortune.com/2016/03/15/aubrey-mcclendon-crash/

Let's please all just calm down and be respectful to each other.

Thanks.

Not offended by it. But it seems others may be offended by calling a spade a spade. So, anything is allowed EXCEPT candor as it tends to draw fire. If the board is about gossip, so be it. Just don't pretend it is about finding the truth or knowing the truth in this case.
    What an ironic statement considering your anger at people "gossiping" about McClendon. Calling a spade a spade would arrive at the opposite conclusion of these veered-off-while-sleeping- at-just-the-right-spot theories. Under the circumstances, that is what strains credulity.

This whole thing is simple. Money speaks even from beyond the grave. We have witnessed rewriting of history in the past few weeks. Go back and pay close attention to all the statements and information that came out within 48 hours of the accident. Now look at statements from the Oklahoma City Police Department, AEP people, those talking to the WSJ, etc. We have officials denying they said things that video tapes and audio tapes clearly show they did say and do. They were not off-the-cuff comments either, just the truth as it played out the morning and afternoon of March 2nd.

Fast forward to June and we have revisionist history concerning McClendon and security, morning meetings, calls that were made to 911 (and described by Capt. Balderrama on March 2) that now bring shrugs and quizzical looks - as if those calls never happened. The no-show at a dinner is forgotten. The indictment, 15 hours before his death, and its impact on Mr. McClendon, as shown in several emails , is no longer talked about. (Only one email is brought up. The one where he vowed to fight the charges from the DOJ.)

What we have witnessed is a clear whitewashing of what happened. Revisionist history aided by the city, The Oklahoman, KWTV, and others. There is a legacy to protect. Not only the lasting legacy of his impact on our city, but immediate concerns concerning the fate of 100+ limited liability companies, debt, and insurance caps on suicide.

I understand the desire to protect his historical legacy in Oklahoma City. There's no question he did a lot of things considered unethical -- and the DOJ says illegal, but, he did a lot of good things, too. That can't be forgotten. But not at the expense of truth. Those closest to him have no doubts, so why should anybody here?

Go back and read what happened on March 1st and March 2nd and the immediate days after. The truth is there. All of the glossing over and invented meetings, rewritten history - it's all just that. Truth is always important. Lessons can be learned even in the darkest of those truths. Nothing good, in the long run, ever comes from covering up and whitewashing. Aubrey McClendon was a public figure, one who looms large over Oklahoma City to this day and will for as long as we're alive. Due to that status as an icon of 21st century Oklahoma City, interest will always be there - including talk about these kinds of things.

But the truth as to what happened on the morning of March 2nd is clear and indisputable to anyone willing to consider the entire package unraveling for Mr. McClendon prior to the accident. There's no reason for anybody to be angry and upset at the discussion, or conclusions reached by those who don't accept the astronomical odds of "just an accident," and can see what happened at that moment, to that man, resulting in his tragic death on March 2nd.

Pete, we really need a like button back on the site...

Blog Entries

We need not pretend this is some discussion on making history right or defending a legacy. I and most others couldn't care less about his legacy. His actions, good and bad, define his legacy, not whether he committed suicide or not. Conjecture, prejudicial opinion, etc. don't make facts. But, it makes for great gossip. I still haven't heard WHY it makes a difference whether he purposefully drove into the bridge or if there was another cause. His life is over and his ability to alter anything in OKC is now finished.

It is easy to dismiss the possibility of drowsy driving because it doesn't fit an opinion. Years ago while working late nights/early mornings to pay my way through OU I was driving back to Norman from west OKC at about 2:30 am after working nearly 12 hours (after starting my day in classes early so I could work), I had a dangerous drowsy driving incident on I-35. I was aroused from a drowsy state when the reflector poles beside the road were hitting my car on the rider's side....thump, thump, thump. I continued for some distance not realizing what was going on, but not slowing down. Finally, I awakened enough to realize what the noise was and pulled back onto the actual road from the shoulder. I was doing probably 70 mph at the time. I pulled off at the next exit and sat there shaking till I was calm enough and awake enough to drive on to Norman. So, I can vouch first hand that I easily could have driven into an abutment and died. Those who deny this as a possibility for Aubrey or anyone else is naive, prejudiced, in denial, or worse. Is it what happened? Who knows. But it is a distinct possibility, even as much as a deliberate crash with intent to die. But, the bottom line is...who cares?

And,by the way, it is not unusual to have a story change a bit after there is actual investigation. First impression and opinion is not always best analysis. Trying to make some big conspiracy out of this is silly.

But, the bottom line is...who cares?
    Lots and lots of people, and not just on this site. I've heard many people discussing the topic.

For someone who claims to not care and that even discussing this is somehow out of line, you sure have a lot of long posts in this thread.

And whether he killed himself or not has a great impact on his legacy and how many things he did or didn't do will be regarded. Many, many (if not most) high-profile people have their legacy evolve and change long after they have passed away. And why? Because things continue to be learned along the way and because people keep talking about them, researching, etc.

I can tell you at least 3 national and highly respected business publications are still covering this story and care very much about more details, far beyond the statements of the medical examiner and police.

You may not agree with any of this, but your opinion is no more 'truth' and less 'gossip' than any other on this thread.

I and most others couldn't care less about his legacy.
    And yet you can't seem to let it go.

Blog Entries

You may not agree with any of this, but your opinion is no more 'truth' and less 'gossip' than any other on this thread.
    Never claimed it to be truth. And, you are correct, just more gossip and conjecture about someone's motives. I guess it is just more fun to suppose someone off'ed themself. I am sure I am in the minority, as the attendant remarks on this board show. I just happen to believe his and other people's legacy is about what they did when they were alive...good and bad.

Never claimed it to be truth. And, you are correct, just more gossip and conjecture about someone's motives. I guess it is just more fun to suppose someone off'ed themself. I am sure I am in the minority, as the attendant remarks on this board show. I just happen to believe his and other people's legacy is about what they did when they were alive...good and bad.
    Um...If it was suicide, he made that decision and pulled it off while he was alive.

Claims against McClendon estate exceed $1 billion

By: Dale Denwalt The Journal Record October 21, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Claims against Aubrey McClendon’s estate have surpassed $1 billion, likely making it one of the biggest probate cases in state history.

Most of the purported debts are held by two creditors, Wilmington Trust and Chesapeake Energy Corp. Wilmington Trust is an agent for several lenders.

The claim by Chesapeake Energy pushed the total over the $1 billion mark. In an Oct. 13 filing, the estate revealed parts of Chesapeake’s claim: enforcement of an alleged settlement agreement between McClendon and the company he founded or, in the alternative, damages in excess of $445 million.

Terms of the settlement were not provided in the filing, and Chesapeake’s claim has not been filed with the court.

The claim from Wilmington Trust contains combined, unpaid loans from Goldman Sachs and other lenders, according to court documents. It totals $464.3 million. Other debts lodged in court include more than $22 million for an aircraft purchase plus millions in real estate loans.

“I’d be surprised if there was (a claim as big),” said probate attorney Rick Denker, who is not involved in the McClendon case. “Very few people are worth that kind of money, and I don’t know that he is.”

In 2012, McClendon fell off the Forbes list of richest Americans with a net worth of less than $500 million. After that, however, his new company American Energy Partners raised billions in equity and loans to help grow the business.

Energy sector analyst Mark Hanson with Morningstar Equity Research said that without internal financial statements, it’s hard to say how well the company grew.

“Given the amount of money he raised it could have indicated one of two things: that he needed the money or he saw a tremendous opportunity,” said Hanson.

The oil and gas industry wasn’t his only business. McClendon held a stake in the Oklahoma City Thunder, owned a tree farm near Oklahoma City and had other retail and real estate ventures.

“I couldn’t even begin to think of how many lawyers are probably going through every single agreement that he entered into,” Hanson said. “While I could never speculate on his overall position, I know he was an executive and kind of a guy who seemed to thrive on moving quickly, building big things but often doing so with other people’s money. That’s certainly how he operated at Chesapeake, so it’s certainly not surprising to see the number of claims now emerging.”

Denker said that if the estate can’t come up with enough cash to satisfy the claims, they will be prioritized and paid out proportionately.

“That will take a while,” he said. “They still have to inventory the assets, see what’s available. Then they have to determine the validity of each of the creditors’ claims.”

Several claims have already been partially accepted, including the Wilmington Trust claim and a $5.3 million loan tied to McClendon’s Singapore Dunes real estate development in Michigan.

One rejected claim is by Tulsa resident Thomas Quinn, who wrote that in 1991 he loaned McClendon $500,000, which came due in 2015. According to documents submitted along with Quinn’s claim, no payments were made on the loan for 14 years and the promissory note did not include a payment schedule.

McClendon died in a car crash on March 2.

It's amazing, yet just as sad, to see how his "empire" crumbled over the last several years of his life. The more info that comes out the more it appears he had his house built from cards.

Holy cow, Aubrey agreed to a $.5 billion settlement with Chesapeake...

Very interested to see what that is about.

Thread Information