Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Aubrey McClendon

Default Re: Aubrey McClendon

To clarify, just because the Feds might lose a case at trial, that doesn't mean they're risking the use of that statute in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    New Civil Antitrust Claims Filed Against Chesapeake, SandRidge Energy -- DALLAS, March 3, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --

DALLAS, March 3, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- A class of oil and gas royalty owners has filed a civil antitrust lawsuit against Chesapeake Energy Corporation, SandRidge Energy Corp. and former SandRidge CEO Tom Ward.

The 14-page lawsuit, filed by attorneys with the Dallas-based law firm Burns Charest LLP, alleges that the defendants violated federal antitrust laws by rigging bids and limiting competition for oil and gas leases in northwest Oklahoma. The lawsuit states that the class could ultimately include thousands of affected royalty owners in the geological formation known as the Anadarko Basin Region.

"This case is about cleaning up the oil patch," says Burns Charest founder and co-managing partner Warren Burns, who represents the proposed class. "In a rush to reap illegal profits, the defendants violated the trust and confidence of these royalty owners. Their actions demonstrate that they were willing to betray my clients and violate the law. We are suing to recover damages and to promote legal competition in the oil and gas industry."

The case is Thieme v. Chesapeake Energy Corp., et al. filed in federal court in the Western District of Oklahoma.

The attorneys at Burns Charest have years of experience in complex antitrust class actions and oil and gas royalty disputes. In late 2015, the firm secured a favorable, confidential settlement for members of the Bass family in Fort Worth as part of a separate lawsuit against Chesapeake over unpaid royalties for oil and gas-producing properties in north Texas.

Burns Charest is a Dallas and New Orleans-based trial law firm with a national practice representing consumers and businesses. The firm represents clients in large, complex class actions; antitrust claims; oil and gas royalty disputes; environmental pollution cases; and asbestos exposure claims. To learn more, visit Home - Burns Charest.
    I think we're starting to understand why the bankruptcy lawyers were called in for a consultation. They saw this possibility coming, even with the deal with the Feds, a civil lawsuit was pretty much going to happen. While this is not in and of itself a sign of bankruptcy (they may have been just consulting how to protect assets in general), there's a storm a-brewin' and things are about to get very very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Oklahoma county requires a death certificate to dismiss. Curious the Feds are not waiting for an ME's report before dismissing.
    My understanding is that a motion to dismiss was filed but no order issued.

4. Default Re: Aubrey McClendon

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I think we're starting to understand why the bankruptcy lawyers were called in for a consultation. They saw this possibility coming, even with the deal with the Feds, a civil lawsuit was pretty much going to happen. While this is not in and of itself a sign of bankruptcy (they may have been just consulting how to protect assets in general), there's a storm a-brewin' and things are about to get very very bad.
    I think that's a bit melodramatic. I can't imagine it would be bigger than the class-action that they just settled that covered every royalty owner in Oklahoma. That was for $119 million. The current lawsuit would cover a much smaller number of people.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    To clarify, just because the Feds might lose a case at trial, that doesn't mean they're risking the use of that statute in the future.
    Exactly. And some people are throwing around the term "precedent" as if every case presented is exactly the same.

As we know, though, anti-trust cases are extremely fact specific. The difference between an "Area of Mutual Interest," a "Joint Operating Agreement," and "Bid Rigging" can be quite subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer3791 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the "black boxes" in modern cars that track speed, braking, etc. Would the one in his vehicle have been sufficiently shielded to survive the fire after the crash?
    Automobile computers only record the last 3 to 5 seconds preceding a crash. Depending on the vehicle and how it's equipped, information such as speed, braking, steering, engine performance, fuel level, seatbelts usage, electronic usage, tire pressure, etc., can be captured. Basically what was going on with the vehicle in the moments right before impact.

They don't work like a flight data recorder where the whole aircraft performance is captured gate to gate.

Federal probe of bid-rigging goes beyond Aubrey McClendon | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Interesting take on this situation.

1) Implies that joint bidding was common but the parties were required to *disclose* they were working together; 2) that what CHK and SD were doing were outside the typical industry practices; and 3) that the government had been cracking down in recent years.

It also reminds us that CHK pleaded no contest in the Michigan case and paid a $25 million fine. So clearly, they were doing things outside the law under McClendon.

Perhaps the Oklahoma lease situation was more severe and/or perhaps this recent filing was due to finding more instances and the sum total caused them to seek harsher penalties.

I Ran into one of the firemen that made the call, pretty unreal details of how hot the fire was and what it done to the body. But before anyone knew who it was, he had called his wife and told her that, he was at the seen of an apparent suicide by the looks of things.

I was curious if the heat and flames would have cremated the body. It's hard to believe there was much left.

Default Re: Aubrey McClendon indicted

Not going to pretend to know what happened here in the moments before the wreck.
    Not going to pretend anything put out as a statement by OKCPD on the matter means even a teeny tiny little sniggle to me.

I was curious if the heat and flames would have cremated the body. It's hard to believe there was much left.
    When they moved the body it turned to dust

Good lord. But if that's the case, how can they possibly do any kind of toxicology exam as has been mentioned in the press?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post

Ashes to ashes, funk to funky
    We know Major Tom's a junkie
    Strung out in heaven's high
    Hitting an all-time low

Good lord. But if that's the case, how can they possibly do any kind of toxicology exam as has been mentioned in the press?
    Not sure it burned a long time before the engine got there, the first on the scene came down the turnpike but couldn't get to him, so they had to call another station in.

I spent a good deal of time yesterday with a reporter for a national publication who is in town to cover this story.

He told me the report that Aubrey was due in court the day he died is absolutely false.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I spent a good deal of time yesterday with a reporter for a national publication who is in town to cover this story.

He told me the report that Aubrey was due in court the day he died is absolutely false.
    I would've thought that if that were false (since it's been so widely reported) that surely someone representing AKM would have set the record straight by now.

Though speaking of AKM's repreaenatives, I am curious when his family or his attorneys will be making some kind of statement.

^

That "due in court / jail" bit of info was only reported one or two places, which is why I always questioned it in the first place.

Does he know when that was supposed to happen and/or turn himself in and what would have been involved in the first steps?

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Does he know when that was supposed to happen and/or turn himself in and what would have been involved?
    I don't believe that had been set, but I can find out.

Safe to say it was imminent, days or weeks at the most, though not as imminent as what was reported.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Safe to say it was imminent, days or weeks at the most, though not as imminent as what was reported.
    I really don't know. Based on the people working on this, I think we will get some good answers soon.

One thing no one has mentioned... You know Aubrey had a solidly booked schedule pretty much all day every day. If he was heading to the Lake Arcadia area to meet with someone, you would think that info would be out by now. As in, "Aubrey was supposed to meet x at x and never showed."

Now, that may have been how the security personnel knew to report him missing. But you think they would put that info out to help dispel the suicide speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Google how cremation works and have a grain of salt ready.

Pretty sure that Tahoe he was driving was a CNG vehicle.

Are we 100% positive that it was Aubrey in the Tahoe?

what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Pretty sure that Tahoe he was driving was a CNG vehicle.

Are we 100% positive that it was Aubrey in the Tahoe?
    Several news outlets reported yesterday that they'd positively ID'd the remains in the Tahoe at AKM using dental records.

Thread Information