Widgets Magazine

Thread: High-density housing being proposed in Mustang

Mustang High-density housing being proposed in Mustang

High-density housing passes first hurdle - El Reno Tribune: News

If developed, the "The Reserve at Sara" will be west of Sara Road in between SW 59th St. and HW 152. And since I'm not a subscriber, that's all that I can contribute.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Default Re: High-density housing being proposed in Mustang

A proposed high-density subdivision passed its first hurdle Tuesday despite resident protests.

The Mustang Planning Commission approved a rezoning request by Mark Ritchie of Civil Design & Survey in Edmond that seeks to rezone approximately 25 acres from agricultural to a Planned Unit Development.

Ritchie and Jim Sheppard, the landowner and a Mustang resident, are seeking to build 116 houses in a new development called The Reserve at Sara.

The property is located on the west side of N. Sara Road in the 800 block, between SW 59th Street and State Highway 152.

Community Development Director Melissa Helsel told commissioners the development would be unique to Mustang. The property overall is long and narrow and has unique lots sizes. The development also will be gated with virtually no maintenance for homeowners and will be sealed off from surrounding residences with a proposed six foot brick wall.

As currently proposed, it also will have one singular entrance and exit into the development on Sara Road.

The houses are planned to be at least 1,800 square feet in size and start at $243,000, the application shows.

“It will appeal to those who do not want yard maintenance and want the exclusivity of a gated community with ample amenities and common areas that are maintained by the POA.”

The fire department reviewed the application and requested changes, Helsel said. Their changes have been made and the department signed off on the development, she added.

City staff recommended approval of the application, Helsel said, saying it fits within the definition and intent of a PUD. Commissioners agreed and now send the application on for city council consideration and possible approval at 7 p.m. next Tuesday, March 1.

Several residents spoke out against the application during a public hearing. They were concerned about drainage from the development impacting their homes and properties. Traffic concerns and a desire to keep a country feel surrounding their homes also were mentioned.

Commission members told the residents they appreciated their input. Commissioner Brad Homer said Mustang is experiencing traffic issues throughout the city. “It’s crowded everywhere.”

Commissioner Billy McDaniel said in 10 to 15 years, there will be very little property remaining undeveloped in the city.

Thanks for informative follow-up. I saw the option to subscribe for $0.99/day, but I would have to do so for only one story - a story which I didn't really feel was worth the cost of a decent iPhone app.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Another reason Sara Rd won't be the turnpike path, I suppose. Read about it in today's Mustang paper, whichever one comes out on Thursdays. Something about the point is to be a community where you don't have to maintain your lawn, so there's going to be an HOA or it's going to be a wilderness. Gated community, so it could go either way I suppose, maybe the draw will be hippies who think mowing grass is murder or people from Arizona who just don't have grass in the first place. Since another feature they're touting is 'unique lot sizes' I'm really leaning towards hippie commune.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    Thanks for informative follow-up. I saw the option to subscribe for $0.99/day, but I would have to do so for only one story - a story which I didn't really feel was worth the cost of a decent iPhone app.
    No worries. I didn't have to subscribe as the site said I have 5 free views until I need to subscribe. Glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Another reason Sara Rd won't be the turnpike path, I suppose. Read about it in today's Mustang paper, whichever one comes out on Thursdays. Something about the point is to be a community where you don't have to maintain your lawn, so there's going to be an HOA or it's going to be a wilderness. Gated community, so it could go either way I suppose, maybe the draw will be hippies who think mowing grass is murder or people from Arizona who just don't have grass in the first place. Since another feature they're touting is 'unique lot sizes' I'm really leaning towards hippie commune.
    Median price of $243k = hippie commune? that's a bit of a stretch

it will probably just be some combination of row homes or town homes. i can definitely see the appeal, especially for folks who don't like the outdoors all that much

also, i can't help but laugh at the good folks who "desire to keep a country feel surrounding their homes." those people have chosen to live just off one of Mustang's busiest highways and yet somehow think their homes have a country feel? if they lived three miles south, they would have a point. but, as it stands, that's just high comedy.

It may have passed the first hurdle, but according to the Mustang News, it didn't pass the second.

Council rejects high-density housing rezoning request - El Reno Tribune: News

Council rejects high-density housing rezoning request

Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:54 pm

Victoria Middleton

Councilmembers voted down 4-3 a rezoning request Tuesday for a new high-density housing development proposed for Sara Road.

Kevin Riley of Ward 1, Kathleen Moon Staples of Ward 2, Terry Jones of Ward 4 and Linda Hagan of Ward 5 voted against the rezoning while Mayor Jay Adams, Brian Grider of Ward 2 and Jess Schweinberg of Ward 6 voted for it.

Community Development Director Melissa Helsel said it is up to the developer what happens from here. She said Mark Ritchie of Civil Design & Survey in Edmond and Mustang resident and homebuilder Jim Sheppard, who owns the 25 acres, can go back to the drawing board.

“I do believe they are not going to give up. I believe they will make some changes to make it more acceptable to the nearby residents and the council.”

Helsel said the developer cannot come back with a different zoning classification before six months. If a slight change in the PUD was made before six months, she said that would be up to the city attorney to decide if that was acceptable.

Tuesday’s meeting included a public hearing that allowed residents to voice concerns. Similar to the previous week’s planning commission meeting, where commissioners recommended approval of the rezoning request, residents discussed drainage, density and traffic issues.

Several residents pointed out there current drainage issues, adding that a new development would only create further problems.

The city’s drainage ordinance states that any new development cannot create any more drainage runoff post-development than pre-development, Helsel explained. She said the city’s engineer wrote the ordinance and looks at drainage from a regional perspective.

As currently proposed, “The Reserve at Sara” development would be on 25 acres located on the west side of N. Sara Road in the 800 block, between SW 59th Street and State Highway 152. Helsel said the development would be unique to Mustang with long and narrow lot sizes, for a total of 116 homes, in a gated one singular entrance and exit off of Sara Road.

Houses would be a minimum of 1,800 square feet and start at $243,000 the rezoning application shows.

Thread Information