Widgets Magazine

Thread: All the movies you saw here in OKC

Default All the movies you saw here in OKC

I was reading an issue of Video Watchdog (fantastic mag for all kinds of movies, mostly genre, but general ones mixed in with the horror/sf/fantasy/westerns), and the editor had a great idea - he started going through the archives of the newspaper in his hometown and was able to see the ads and listings for all the movies he saw growing up, brought back memories, filled in some blanks in his memories, and was just generally very interesting to do.

So I started poking around and found that the Metro Library system offers free access to the Oklahoman's digital archives (from 1901 - now), so I went back and looked at a few Friday papers (generally the only day the big ads and listings were printed), and it's pretty cool. Interface is nice too, all you need is a library card and a web browser and you're set, thought I'd put this out there because I had never thought of it, and figured lots of others hadn't either, and it's pretty entertaining...

Default Re: All the movies you saw here in OKC

for this reason, i throw all my movie ticket stubs into a box... i've been doing this for the last 20 years. it's kind of fun to see which movies i saw and where. -M

I have a friend who keeps all of his ticket stubs in order from his first movie to his latest movie. The most interesting part for me is the progression of the price of the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

So I started poking around and found that the Metro Library system offers free access to the Oklahoman's digital archives (from 1901 - now), so I went back and looked at a few Friday papers (generally the only day the big ads and listings were printed), and it's pretty cool. Interface is nice too, all you need is a library card and a web browser and you're set, thought I'd put this out there because I had never thought of it, and figured lots of others hadn't either, and it's pretty entertaining...
    Travellers,
    If you are a subscriber to the DOK, there is access to the archives on their web site.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Travellers,
    If you are a subscriber to the DOK, there is access to the archives on their web site.
    C. T.
    I'm not, and was going to pay the $10 for access, so was happy to see the library had it free instead of putting money into their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    for this reason, i throw all my movie ticket stubs into a box... i've been doing this for the last 20 years. it's kind of fun to see which movies i saw and where. -M
    Did that for concerts, from the very first one (KISS, Myriad, 1977) to the most current, amazing I had the foresight to do that, considering I was 12 when I saw KISS. If I did that for movie tickets, I'd have a small moving box full of tickets...

Ticket stubs never had the name of the movie during my youth, so saving them would have meant little.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I'm not, and was going to pay the $10 for access, so was happy to see the library had it free instead of putting money into their hands.
    Travellers,
    I used my library card access for several years until I noticed it on my DOK web page while reading my paper. Since I already pay the $10 for the subscription, it's a quicker access to the archives. I sure enjoyed the access provided by the library though.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Ticket stubs never had the name of the movie during my youth, so saving them would have meant little.
    Ljbab,
    Nothing personal, but we are really old! Actually, I can't remember when they started printing the name on the tickets, was it in the late 60's or early 70's?
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Ljbab,
    Nothing personal, but we are really old! Actually, I can't remember when they started printing the name on the tickets, was it in the late 60's or early 70's?
    C. T.
    I resemble that remark.

I don't remember exactly when it started but I'm sure it came about due to the advent of multiscreen theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I resemble that remark.

I don't remember exactly when it started but I'm sure it came about due to the advent of multiscreen theaters.
    I think you are absolutely right about that. I've been a stub keeper myself, but many theaters are moving to these cheap paper receipts that literally wash out within a few weeks. I've discovered at AMC Penn Square that if you buy your tickets through the kiosk on the wall, you get regular heavier tickets.

Thread Information