Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa trip suggestions

Default Tulsa trip suggestions

Looking to take a drive up the 'pike and check out the Tulsa urban scene.

Plan to walk all of downtown and hit Cherry Street and Brookside and Utica Square.

Any particular good / interesting places to eat and/or drink?

Any other districts I should make a point to see?

(may go up there this afternoon if I get enough done this morning.)

Default Re: Tulsa trip suggestions

One of my favorite restaurants in Tulsa is STG in the Blue Dome district between 1st and 2nd on Detroit. They have awesome Margherita pizza and gelato.

I would also check out Decopolis on Boston. It's a store run by a local artist who is also in the process of growing an Art Deco museum.

You should head up to Tulsa now and go your work at The Phoenix (6th and Peoria). One of my favorite spots to work.

Check out The Vault (7th between Boston and Cincinatti) for a drink. It's a pretty cool rehab of an old bank. I'd also recommend checking out Hodge's Bend and Bohemia on 3rd. It's a neat emerging area. My Tulsa friends recommend Tallgrass Prairie at 2nd and Elgin.

5. Default Re: Tulsa trip suggestions

If you like BBQ you can't go wrong with BurnCo. Just get there early and be prepared to stand in a line.... I'm not familiar with Tulsa's districts but they've recently moved into an eclectic little area near downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    If you like BBQ you can't go wrong with BurnCo. Just get there early and be prepared to stand in a line.... I'm not familiar with Tulsa's districts but they've recently moved into an eclectic little area near downtown.
    Other than their lava cake, I wasn't much of a fan of BurnCo. Couldn't be that I tried the wrong thing as I opted for the happy ($35) plate

Our last trip to Tulsa was to visit the Gilcrease Museum. We met a friend of my wife at a burger place in Brookside (next to Urban Outfitters). It was very, very good. Wish I could remember the name of the place . . .

Kilkenny's is always a good stop.

Fat Guy Burger Bar -- my gosh one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. They have two or three locations now, but we like the original location which is in Greenwood, literally just outside the third base side of the Tulsa Drillers stadium.

The Greenwood area is kind of neat to tool around. It was a number of years after I moved here until I ever heard of the Tulsa Race Riots of the early 1900s. Look up the race riots and read about them, then drive around the very area where a couple days of murders, home burning, and riots occurred. Very powerful stuff. I've enjoyed taking old maps and driving and walking around the area where there are still remnants of buildings and stuff that fell victim to the fires and riots. It's not a very well known thing here which was so surprising to me. I remember the day I learned of them I asked my wife, who's an Oklahoma native, if she had ever heard of the riots and she had no idea what I was talking about. She stated she didn't remember anything about them in her Oklahoma history class. I was kind of blown away that she hadn't known of such an event. Anyway, it's very interesting and something free to do.

11. Default Re: Tulsa trip suggestions

+1 for Fat Guys

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    The Greenwood area is kind of neat to tool around. It was a number of years after I moved here until I ever heard of the Tulsa Race Riots of the early 1900s. Look up the race riots and read about them, then drive around the very area where a couple days of murders, home burning, and riots occurred. Very powerful stuff. I've enjoyed taking old maps and driving and walking around the area where there are still remnants of buildings and stuff that fell victim to the fires and riots. It's not a very well known thing here which was so surprising to me. I remember the day I learned of them I asked my wife, who's an Oklahoma native, if she had ever heard of the riots and she had no idea what I was talking about. She stated she didn't remember anything about them in her Oklahoma history class. I was kind of blown away that she hadn't known of such an event. Anyway, it's very interesting and something free to do.
    The reason most people haven't heard of the Tulsa Race Riots is because it was deliberately covered up and excluded textbooks and such. There are a number if good books on the topic, but this one was my favorite: http://www.amazon.com/Riot-Remembran.../dp/0618108130

+2 for fat guys. I think its the first thing Urbanized and I agree on something.

I didn't get up there this weekend but hope to next Saturday.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Glad I'm not too late to suggest you eat at Laffa. Service is pretty slow, but the food is incredible. The kind of pan-Mediterranean place we don't have in OKC. And late night falafel window!

Oklahoma native. as are most of my co-workers and one brought up how no one knows about the Tulsa race riots. Which 3 of us chimed in that we knew about them. So just kind of depends I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    Oklahoma native. as are most of my co-workers and one brought up how no one knows about the Tulsa race riots. Which 3 of us chimed in that we knew about them. So just kind of depends I guess.
    I'll also add that the Race Riots have started being taught in schools in the last 10-20 years much more in part because the events have been added to textbooks. So, you may also see a generational shift too.

...if you haven't already gone.

Smoke on Cherry St. - My perennial favorite in all of Tulsa.
    Queenie's Cafe and Bakery (Utica Square) - for lunch, it's not the best food on the planet, but if you want to see the upper crust of Tulsa that's where you need to go.
    Elmer's Barbecue - has always been my standby for BBQ. I know I will probably get criticized, but you don't mess with what's not broken. In an old gas station past the prime part of Brookside (42nd & Peoria).
    Brookside by Day - If you are there before noon, this is an institution in Tulsa for breakfast.

Gilcrease should not be missed. And if you have the inclination, I always enjoy just cruising down 66 (11th street for the most part).

Blog Entries

You should visit The John Hope Franklin Reconciliation Park next to Oneok Field.

John Hope Franklin » Reconciliation Park

21. Default Re: Tulsa trip suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    +2 for fat guys. I think its the first thing Urbanized and I agree on something.
    Wow...interesting! I guess you and Inhave some imaginary feud that I wasn't aware of. Cool; I've always wanted a nemesis!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Queenie's Cafe and Bakery (Utica Square) - for lunch, it's not the best food on the planet, but if you want to see the upper crust of Tulsa that's where you need to go.
    Elmer's Barbecue - has always been my standby for BBQ. I know I will probably get criticized, but you don't mess with what's not broken. In an old gas station past the prime part of Brookside (42nd & Peoria).
    Brookside by Day - If you are there before noon, this is an institution in Tulsa for breakfast.

Gilcrease should not be missed. And if you have the inclination, I always enjoy just cruising down 66 (11th street for the most part).
    Elmers is by far the best BBQ in Tulsa IMO..... I love that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Elmers is by far the best BBQ in Tulsa IMO..... I love that place.

In terms of bbq, there is an Oklahoma Joe's if you liked the KC location (now Kansas City Joes)

Also on the way up or on the way back stop by sweetie pies in Sand Springs... The bread they make their sandwiches with is some of the best around, and lots of sweets to try....

Home Page

Thread Information