Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Collective

Default Re: The Collective

I walked by on Saturday in the evening and the patio was packed.

Blog Entries

I've enjoyed the fried taco and though prices were comparable to Revolucion for example.

I wonder how the waffle place stacks up against the crazy-popular Waffle Champion?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I'd like to hear about the rest of the food served here and not a bitch fest about what donuts are better and who's are horrible
    Stopped by today and had a donut. I'm inclined to believe that if it were called something else that isn't a donut I'd have different expectations. I had the fry bread with vanilla bean filling. Wish there was more filling.

Cafe de L'Asie also changed their menu. Got the spicy honey chicken sandwich and the crepe (The last menu item I haven't gotten from their last menu). I enjoyed it, and the prices have changed.

Lunch there today around 1 PM, this time at the Fried Taco.

When I walked in there were no inside seats at all but by the time I got my food a couple of tables had emptied. It was nice so I sat outside. They have a good sound system out there.

I had the Nashvile Hot Chicken Taco ($4.25) and mango guac + chips ($8).

The chicken was of the stewed variety and I liked the fried shell and topping but the meat was on the bland side.

The quac was fine but little mango. Really liked the thick, crispy chips.

Too much food for one person but wanted to try a couple of different things.

Blog Entries

^That looks like just about the right amount for one person if the one person is ME!

I brought a big group of friends (mostly from Dallas) here on Saturday afternoon and everyone was really impressed. It was also ideal for a big group as everyone found something they wanted. The place was full, but we were all able to find seats in smaller groups. The bar in particular is a great spot to hang out. The lines were short or non-existent at most restaurants. I had the eggs and sausage option from Oh Baby! and meant to try a fried taco as my friend spoke highly of them. I split a cream-filled donut from Theo's and it was okay... my friend and I agreed it needed to be a little sweeter. The whole concept is such a homerun. Props to the hard work that went into it.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I brought a big group of friends (mostly from Dallas) here on Saturday afternoon and everyone was really impressed. It was also ideal for a big group as everyone found something they wanted. The place was full, but we were all able to find seats in smaller groups. The bar in particular is a great spot to hang out. The lines were short or non-existent at most restaurants. I had the eggs and sausage option from Oh Baby! and meant to try a fried taco as my friend spoke highly of them. I split a cream-filled donut from Theo's and it was okay... my friend and I agreed it needed to be a little sweeter. The whole concept is such a homerun. Props to the hard work that went into it.
    Did they offer their thoughts on how it compared to the plano food hall?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Did they offer their thoughts on how it compared to the plano food hall?
    Nope, none of them mentioned any Dallas food halls even though a few are originally from Plano.

The Oh Baby! kitchen closed.

Not sure what will take its place.

Domino Effect. Hope I'm wrong, but it seems to me we have a lot of choices and not enough population density.

12. Default Re: The Collective

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I think the niche places are going to have a tough time anywhere.... Not many people know what a Dutch Baby is and aren't willing to pay to try one..... Too bad because unless they were doing something wrong... Dutch Baby's are some great comfort food.

I vote Lip Smackerz.

I could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that's its common for these places in food halls to only have a 3 months lease and give it a go and if they don't make it or like being there they move on.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that's its common for these places in food halls to only have a 3 months lease and give it a go and if they don't make it or like being there they move on.
    Yes.

And the whole idea is to swap out places so there is something new.

My understanding is they already have another operator lined up. They had something like 50 apply originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Darn, I really wanted to give that one a try but hadn't made it over yet.

Blog Entries

I had only tried their sweet offerings, not the savory, but so good. Was nice to have a non-ice cream desertish option. Will miss it.

I tried them a few times and really liked everything. Their BBQ pulled pork option was *chef's kiss* delicious. Hopefully the babies can live on in some capacity elsewhere.

Too many kitchens under one roof to compete with, very high rent costs, cant sell soft your own soft drinks, there'll constantly be turnover here.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Too many kitchens under one roof to compete with, very high rent costs, cant sell soft your own soft drinks, there'll constantly be turnover here.
    it was put into place with the idea of there being constant turnover. that's kind of the point

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    it was put into place with the idea of there being constant turnover. that's kind of the point
    Not true. Food halls are not designed for constant turnover. They’re designed for vendors to not be saddled with long leases but if they’re successful, they’ll remain in their space unless they grew too big for the space and then want to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Not true. Food halls are not designed for constant turnover. They’re designed for vendors to not be saddled with long leases but if they’re successful, they’ll remain in their space unless they grew too big for the space and then want to expand.
    It also gives the owner of the hall the option to replace kitchens that they don't feel are working well and/or help the total mix.

23. Default Re: The Collective

Damn. Now The Flying Pig announces that it is closing 2/22.
    https://twitter.com/FlyingPigOKC/sta...19764055093248

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Damn. Now The Flying Pig announces that it is closing 2/22.
    https://twitter.com/FlyingPigOKC/sta...19764055093248
    Interesting. They were always slammed when I was there. Any idea whose decision and why?

25. Default Re: The Collective

They've tweeted that they will still have their food truck.

Thread Information