Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: East Bricktown Hotels

Default Re: East Bricktown Hotels

with a quick measure on google maps ... it looks like about 1,000 feet of side walk to complete the north side of the street ..

Blog Entries

BCBS excess might be useful here. I know there have been projects that have returned money to the program.

They still haven’t started on this yet. Drove by it today.

The old warehouse has been demolished to make room for the 4th and final hotel:

That looks like a tiny footprint compared to the other three hotels

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    That looks like a tiny footprint compared to the other three hotels
    That could mean one of two things, either it will be something small like a restaurant or a hotel with some height. And since this is confirmed a hotel, this one could consolidate to something like seven stories.

Purely speculation from me, so pay no heed to my opinion.

This La Quinta will be the same height (4 stories) as the others. Will also be about the same footprint.

That angle just makes the lot look smaller; it will also share existing parking to the north.

The angle sure did. The aerial shows it is basically 1/4 of the total land and more than enough room. Thanks for posting.

Those hotels have been staying pretty full.

Just goes to show the strong hotel demand all across OKC.

From the look of things this last hotel will bring a bit more of the missing sidewalk link between this development and Bricktown.

The city cant do any additional lighting/landscaping under the highway to make a safer and more aesthetically pleasing to connect these hotels to brick town can they? With Okanna coming in the next few years and additional development additional lighting for pedestrian safety would go along way.

I was just thinking of that same thing yesterday. I had family from out of town stay at the MainStay Suites sometime last year and from the short time I spent at the hotel with them, it felt fairly isolated from really everything, even being in a car. There’s likely not a ton that can be done about that short of tearing out I-235 and extending Bricktown to the east, but I was brainstorming of ways that might improve the connectivity. I’ll let y’all know if I come up with something brilliant.

Underpasses (of all types) are tough because they are psychologically a dangerous, unfamiliar place. Even with a bunch of lighting and murals, the overhead noise can be unnerving to some. There really isn’t a lot that can be done, and given the the unwillingness to even put in a sidewalk there’s really no chance of making it much better.

Just on a general note, not necessarily specific to this area, to add to your brainstorming: caps have been used before, what about the opposite of that? Has that ever been done? Basically a building under the bridge. If you made one tall enough to not feel claustrophobic you could create a seamless pedestrian corridor from one side to the other by hiding the noise and the unpleasantness of typical underpasses? Have some sort of interactive feature along the walls to make it not feel like a tunnel….

Again not saying this should or could be done here - just thinking on a general note.

You can’t offset the highway barrier and the generally wide open and unfamiliar space, but for example, building sidewalks with trees on both sides of them can create a more welcoming walk that can make people more comfortable.

Not sure it is the right forum but they are pouring concrete on the fenced land just East of those hotels. No idea what for.

Also, a bit further east on Reno, between Lottie and MLK ; Bath avenue is about to be turn in a real street not a dirt road anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    Not sure it is the right forum but they are pouring concrete on the fenced land just East of those hotels. No idea what for.
    It will be a 3-story self-storage facility.

The 4th and final hotel is under construction.

On either side are storage facilities.

I assume they'll have to complete the sidewalk along Reno in front of that parcel? That'll be another useful leg of the sidewalk connection over to Bricktown from these hotels.

^

Sidewalks are required by all new commercial construction.

Pete, do you know what that fairly sizable building is that is going up right to the east of these hotels? Whatever it is that's some nice Reno facing development. Is that one of the storage facilities you mentioned?

^

Yes, it's a storage facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I was just thinking of that same thing yesterday. I had family from out of town stay at the MainStay Suites sometime last year and from the short time I spent at the hotel with them, it felt fairly isolated from really everything, even being in a car. There’s likely not a ton that can be done about that short of tearing out I-235 and extending Bricktown to the east, but I was brainstorming of ways that might improve the connectivity. I’ll let y’all know if I come up with something brilliant.
    Run a street car line down there. Doesn't have to run all the time every hour 45 minutes a street car goes down that way and back on a single track

24. Default Re: East Bricktown Hotels

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I know it's off topic but on this pic on the southbound l-235 bridge over l-40 there is what looks like an entrance ramp for some future road/hiway construction - anyone know what this might be?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I know it's off topic but on this pic on the southbound l-235 bridge over l-40 there is what looks like an entrance ramp for some future road/hiway construction - anyone know what this might be?
    That was the onramp from eastbound Reno.

Thread Information