Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: East Bricktown Hotels

Default Re: Candlewood Suites

You can see that along Reno the hotels and the self-storage place have added short sidewalks because that is now required by building code.

But after the storage, the sidewalk just stops right as you get to the overpasses. The city should come in and complete that walk all the way west to Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You can see that along Reno the hotels and the self-storage place have added short sidewalks because that is now required by building code.

But after the storage, the sidewalk just stops right as you get to the overpasses. The city should come in and complete that walk all the way west to Lincoln.
    Can the city do it? Is it ODOT right of way under the bridge? Not sure how that works for a city street passing under a highway.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Would be good to see some pedestrian improvements from this area to Bricktown. Like a double wide sidewalk with plenty of lights under the bridge.
    Eh, the lights'll just burn out in a year and not be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Eh, the lights'll just burn out in a year and not be replaced.
    Is the homeless camp still under here? The trashcan fires can illuminate the way.

Candlewood has been open for a while, Best Western on the right is moving along and they are well underway on the Country Inn which is the wood framing you see.

The 4th proposed hotel would be south of the Best Western and be a Sleep Inn.

In the foreground, is that the little blue train engine that was at the CO-OP ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    In the foreground, is that the little blue train engine that was at the CO-OP ?
    No, that's a leased engine from GATX that Union Pacific uses; the rails in the foreground are part of UP's Harter Yard. The GE 80 tonner that used to be over at the Co-op (PCOM 1944) was sold to the demolition company that scrapped the silos there... It doesn't appear to have been seen in the wild since.

Candlewood should come up with a more midbrow concept: Candlebox Suites.

Dallas hotelier Joshua Joseph said this last project is now going to be an assisted living center, right?

Anyone know much more about
    Dallas hotelier Joshua Joseph? Anyone find corporate website?

I've never been able to find a website.

Joseph also owns mainly suburban hotels in DFW and some small towns in Oklahoma.

Are all three of these properties open??

The country inn is usually the best motel out of the group, but seems like it has no business.

With that many cheap rooms, There needs to be some restaurants in front of those motels, maybe, wild wings, chili's, Texas roadhouse, applebee's, canes, panda Express, something

There's not really anywhere to fit a restaurant in

Default Re: East Bricktown Hotels

Plans have been filed to build the 4th hotel in this development.

Will be a 93-room La Qunita with an indoor pool.

Pete are there any plans for that sidewalk to be built connecting this area to Bricktown? That should be a high-priority item. You can see the desire lines in the ground from your drone photo. Between all 4 hotels you are looking at several hundred people a night who may want to wander into Bricktown. I am betting they probably drive, which is a shame given the proximity. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to walk under a dark interstate bridge with no sidewalk.

Also did they really submit that rendering with a Texas flag instead of the OK one? LOL

^^^ my first thought was about the sidewalk.

I haven't seen any plans.

It would have to be the city/ODOT as the connection between these hotels and Bricktown is all public land.

19. Default Re: East Bricktown Hotels

Is there not a shuttle connecting it to Bricktown? That would be nice

This is a super convenient location for families and even business travelers visiting downtown / Bricktown. It would be nice to see some trees and other natural barriers erected to camouflage the concrete plant and other industrial adjacent properties.

A few years ago (maybe 2017/2018?) the city constructed sidewalks along the south side of Reno all the way to Lottie Avenue. So there is a full sidewalk connection to this area but unfortunately it is on the other side of the street and there aren’t any crosswalks to this development.

On a positive note, the sidewalk on the south side connects to the sidewalks on Lincoln that go over the bridge into the Riversport/Boathouse area.

Since the city just recently put the south sidewalks in, it seems unlikely they would construct them on the north side anytime soon (there is so much demand for sidewalks in the city and only so much money unfortunately).

In the interim, maybe the city/developer could construct a crosswalk at this development to the south sidewalk which would help with the walkability to Bricktown and the attractions along the River (and it would also let people staying at the hotels know the sidewalk connection is there).

I have a feeling that the city planning department would stand in the way of that idea, but maybe I am being pessimistic. Wasn't the crosswalk across 23rd right in front of Tower Theater a pretty tough sell a few years back?

Pete's pix show that the sidewalk on the south side of Reno will take people to lower Bricktown and the Bass Pro, etc. I would think that is about as good as public funding should provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Pete's pix show that the sidewalk on the south side of Reno will take people to lower Bricktown and the Bass Pro, etc. I would think that is about as good as public funding should provide.
    Sidewalks should exist on both sides of the street. I believe that is actually the current ADA law for new road construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Public funding should provide a crosswalk across the street to the sidewalk on the southside if we don't want that sidewalk to remain effectively useless.

Thread Information