Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Revolucion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Revolucion

If they weren't you'd think they wouldn't repair the damage from protests, but it looks like they did (unless I was looking at the wrong area). I would guess they are just focused on getting the new Empire open.

They will reopen.

Rachel Cope & Co. has not opened any of their restaurants for dine-in and only a few for takeout.

They are being very conservative across the board.

They have fully reopened.

Not sure why, but this place renamed itself REV Mex.

https://revmexokc.com/

^

Yeah, they did that some time ago.

They've also changed up their menu several times.

It's part of the 84 Hospitality group: Empire, Goro, Burger Punk, Neon.

The food has always just been mediocre to bad.

I don't know how you can go wrong with the concept of fun Mexican in a cool space with a neat patio, but they did it.

I mean Oso isn't great either but I've never regretted going there, or cringed when I had to go along with a group.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    The food has always just been mediocre to bad.

I don't know how you can go wrong with the concept of fun Mexican in a cool space with a neat patio, but they did it.

I mean Oso isn't great either but I've never regretted going there, or cringed when I had to go along with a group.
    Just so I know where you're coming from, what's your favorite Mexican (not Tex-Mex) place?

100% agree...the food quality was already going down before COVID and it just got worse afterwards IMO.

Oso blows their doors off and that isn't saying much.

We ate there last week for the first time, had a bunch of tacos (fish, chicken, pastor, carnitas and veggie) and chips and salsa (roja and habanero). Chips and salsa were just as good as any we've had elsewhere, and the tacos were decent, but not great, except the fish taco, which was really good (combo of ingredients was great, and the fish itself had a nice texture and taste). Oso is definitely better, though.

What species of fish was used? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    What species of fish was used? Thanks
    I honestly am not sure, wife ordered it, I only had one bite, and menu only says "fish". Some kind of whitefish, she said, but she couldn't tell other than that, just that it wasn't greasy from the frying.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    100% agree...the food quality was already going down before COVID and it just got worse afterwards IMO.

Oso blows their doors off and that isn't saying much.
    I’m not sure what happened. Revolucion used to be one of my favorites when they first opened, but unnoticed the food quality, vibe, atmosphere, etc started going downhill after they revamped their menu for the first time. I’ve only been back twice since 2020. I hope they can return to their former self.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I’m not sure what happened. Revolucion used to be one of my favorites when they first opened, but unnoticed the food quality, vibe, atmosphere, etc started going downhill after they revamped their menu for the first time. I’ve only been back twice since 2020. I hope they can return to their former self.
    It is hard for me to get tacos anywhere but a taco truck, but when they first opened the Revolucion happy hour entered my rotation. I really liked their refried black beans which are sadly no longer on the menu, and their tacos used to have a matching salsa which is no longer a thing. The service has gotten more and more questionable since they opened, it was never great. At this point I am done giving them chances. Quality control has definitely been an issue with 84 hospitality. The Edmond Empire location was initially as good as the plaza, but it fell off pretty quickly now that it seems the trainers are gone.

This place, while they have an awesome environment, has barely been decent for years. I will even go one step further and say that about most of the popular/trendy Mexican/taco places in town: Barrios, Mexican Radio, Oso. etc. Oso is the only one that I will willingly go to because they have an awesome salad and drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    This place, while they have an awesome environment, has barely been decent for years. I will even go one step further and say that about most of the popular/trendy Mexican/taco places in town: Barrios, Mexican Radio, Oso. etc. Oso is the only one that I will willingly go to because they have an awesome salad and drinks.
    What Mexican/taco places do you frequent?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    What Mexican/taco places do you frequent?
    1492, Yo Pablo, Birrieria Diaz, a random taco truck on Britton near Broadway extension. With my wife being from Houston, and then my brother marrying into a Hispanic family, the OKC Mexican / Tex-Mex just doesn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    1492, Yo Pablo, Birrieria Diaz, a random taco truck on Britton near Broadway extension. With my wife being from Houston, and then my brother marrying into a Hispanic family, the OKC Mexican / Tex-Mex just doesn't do it.
    Thanks, good to know your reference points. We like Birrieria Diaz (a lot, been going there since they opened) and 1492, haven't been to Yo Pablo yet...

Go give Mi Pueblo at try in Warr Acres. It's been consistently good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    It is hard for me to get tacos anywhere but a taco truck, but when they first opened the Revolucion happy hour entered my rotation. I really liked their refried black beans which are sadly no longer on the menu, and their tacos used to have a matching salsa which is no longer a thing. The service has gotten more and more questionable since they opened, it was never great. At this point I am done giving them chances. Quality control has definitely been an issue with 84 hospitality. The Edmond Empire location was initially as good as the plaza, but it fell off pretty quickly now that it seems the trainers are gone.
    They used to bring out squirt bottles of different kinds of fresh salsas...I know this sounds weird but feel like the place started going downhill around the time they took those away. Might have been the same time they changed up the whole menu.

The service was always a little hit or miss but used to really dig sitting at the bar with the sliding doors open. They had a good red beer brunch too but not sure if that's still around.

Press release:

84 Hospitality Group Announces Exciting Handoff of Rev Mex to Shared Plate Hospitality

OKLAHOMA CITY (July 18, 2023) - Rev Mex, known for tacos and good times in Midtown, today announces the transition of ownership from Rachel Cope and 84 Hospitality Group to Shared Plate Hospitality, led by Jamie and Jordan Winteroth. Both parties are dedicated to a seamless transition, providing little to no disruption to service and operating hours.

With this sale, 84 Hospitality Group is able to lean on its spirit of collaboration in strategically aligning with Shared Plate Hospitality to take over a next era for Rev Mex.

"As 84 Hospitality Group continues to grow and evolve it is with excitement that we turn over the reins of Rev Mex to long-time friends and fantastic operators, Jamie and Jordan Winteroth,” said 84 Hospitality Group Founder and CEO Rachel Cope. “I personally am excited to watch them give Rev Mex the love and attention it deserves as we focus on the expansion of Empire, Burger Punk, and Remix Ramen. Many margaritas will be had over the next several years supporting Jamie and Jordan and supporting our former concept.”

Rev Mex originally opened as Revolucion in 2017, as the third concept in 84 Hospitality Group’s portfolio. Revolucion initially presented as a traditionally inspired taqueria and cantina, bringing a playful patio space and iconic neon cactus to the corner of NW 6th and Classen in OKC. As the name shortened the menu evolved to include more TexMex staples, or “RevMex” classics, establishing the restaurant as not only a Tuesday favorite but a destination for lunch, dinner, catering and happy hours. Over the years, Rev Mex gained a reputation amongst a loyal customer base for its colorful atmosphere, unique draft margarita options, the infamous "Cannonball" margarita, “Baja Bash” parties, and a delicious variety of snacks and tacos.

Rev Mex’s dedication to the community has shown itself by hosting many non-profit organizations on-site and through catering efforts, as well as being a longtime supporter of LGBTQIA+ organizations.

Under Shared Plate Hospitality, Jordan and Jamie Winteroth also own and operate Social Deck + Dining and Aurora.

"We have been longtime fans of Rev Mex, spending many Margarita Mondays working at the bar, so it is nothing short of an honor to have been approached by a fellow respected peer to take care of something she lovingly created,” said Jamie Winteroth, owner of Shared Plate Hospitality. “We look forward to working alongside our new Rev Mex team and hope to continue the Rev Mex reputation of beautiful, delicious Mexican favorites, unique cocktails, genuine hospitality, while introducing fun ideas and community events for years to come. Cheers to the new chapter of Shared Plate Hospitality and to Rachel and 84 Hospitality Group!"

Hopefully this gets a menu refresh. Never really liked it much.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Hopefully this gets a menu refresh. Never really liked it much.
    Neither did Rachel over the last few years (which she’s openly admitted lol). I bet the new owners change it up quite a bit.

23. Default Re: Revolucion

A good friend of mine lives down the street and we used to eat here quite a bit. They used to have the best Queso Fundido in town and their tacos were really good. It was a little pricey but it's a fun space and we watched Thunder games there quite a bit. I stopped going much and now frequent other places, but I hope this gets a good refresh and returns better than ever!

HangryHippo Guest

I really enjoyed the queso fundido, but the rest wasn’t on that level.

Thread Information