Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Vouchers being contemplated.........

Default Re: School Vouchers being contemplated.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Former teacher, so it wasn't happening when he was teaching at the private school.
    MY children attended this school when this happened and yes it was happening while he was "teaching" at this school. Also it happened 18 years ago at the same school with a teenage girl and the schools football coach but they are now happily married with two teenage children of their own. I also graduated from a private school and I know you are probably aware that most private school teachers are not even Certified to teach. Public school has so much more to offer compared to most private schools here in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    Public school has so much more to offer compared to most private schools here in Oklahoma
    Then why do legislators think there is a great deal of public demand to steer tax dollars for pubic education to private schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Then why do legislators think there is a great deal of public demand to steer tax dollars for pubic education to private schools?
    Are you asking why legislators or the public want to do something that's a bad idea? Because making bad policy decisions is standard.

The real answer is lobbyists and ideology, not evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Who knows why. I can tell you from my personal experience graduating from a private school that public schools has more to offer. My children attended private school for kindergarten and 2 grade and again nothing has changed. I only had them in private since most schools in moore do not have full day kindergarten and thankfully I had them in that school or they would have been in plaza towers may 20 2013. Public school has more to offer and maybe that is why so many private schools in moore has closed in the past decade. The only thing that kept private schools opened for so long was elementary age kids especially pre k... There was just a handful of jr. High and high school students in the private schools in moore. I was a class of 4. Also example my son in private school did not have title one reading, My daughter did not have teacher aid tutoring during school. Also several resource teachers and teacher assistants, school psycologist access to free evening tutoring if your child is falling behind etc so much more then what a lot of private schools offer unless you are going to some place like Casady and making a monthly house payment for you child to attend a private school like that one

As a public schools advocate, I'm not saying that one is better than the other for any individual family. It's far more complex than that. What I know is that there is little evidence that vouchers would improve schooling overall. Public schools are an investment in our society that we don't take seriously enough... And the lack of commitment to providing the resources and money for teachers and schools to succeed has had disastrous societal costs. Vouchers would further deteriorate our system.

Thread Information