Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming Soon: FLIGHTS TO STILLWATER!

OSU Coming Soon: FLIGHTS TO STILLWATER!

With an official announcement anticipated tomorrow, expect flights to Stillwater from Dallas and back soon!

As a resident, it will be so nice to travel from here to Dallas and bypass going to OKC, Tulsa, or Wichita to catch a flight! With the large number of fans, alumni and prospective students in the DFW area this is excellent. DFW is an international hub, excited for the future! Props to OSU, the City and community for making this possible.

After reaching out to city council (who could not confirm), I was told to look for more information soon.

I will add more details as they arise.

Commercial flight service to be launched at Stillwater airport | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

2. Default Re: Coming Soon: FLIGHTS TO STILLWATER!

I'm going to be 100% honest here. I didn't know Stillwater had an airport that could do a commercial flight.

How often do they think these will be full?

Default Re: Coming Soon: FLIGHTS TO STILLWATER!

Are these going to be the smaller, 30-50 seat feeder planes?

Our runway system has been large for a while. The athletic teams take (private) planes on away trips. Especially football, who takes large jetliners to away games..

The Embraer ERJ-145 holds about 50 passengers.
    -We have a large aerospace company with it's U.S. office in Stillwater (Asco Industires).
    -Nearly 40% of our student population is from the state of Texas.
    -Big 12 offices are in Dallas
    -Study Abroad trips. (Dallas is an international hub)
    -Sports, need I say more.

This should be good for residents of Payne County and nearby counties. I concede I am surprised that 2x a day seems to be doable, but they may get many who will divert to Stillwater rather than drive in to OKC or Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Our runway system has been large for a while. The athletic teams take (private) planes on away trips. Especially football, who takes large jetliners to away games..

The Embraer ERJ-145 holds about 50 passengers.
    -We have a large aerospace company with it's U.S. office in Stillwater (Asco Industires).
    -Nearly 40% of our student population is from the state of Texas.
    -Big 12 offices are in Dallas
    -Study Abroad trips. (Dallas is an international hub)
    -Sports, need I say more.
    Other industrial companies, like National Standard, Armstrong floor tile, Stillwater Designs and SST Software.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I'm going to be 100% honest here. I didn't know Stillwater had an airport that could do a commercial flight.

How often do they think these will be full?
    Stillwater has been able to do commercial air service since at least the 1960s or 1970s when Frontier Airlines was there. Hopefully, people living in nearby surrounding towns, such as Ponca City, will help try to fill the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Stillwater has been able to do commercial air service since at least the 1960s or 1970s when Frontier Airlines was there. Hopefully, people living in nearby surrounding towns, such as Ponca City, will help try to fill the seats.
    At one point, Enid, Ponca City, and Stillwater all had commercial service, at the same time, IIRC (granted, it was supplemented by that whatever federal program that was that worked to guarantee under serviced areas), but there's a larger population there now, as well as larger populations in feeder towns such as Perry, so I could see this working. It looks like ticket pricing will line up not too different as from OKC to DFW (which runs $250 ish) so saving on driving down and parking will make this a viable option for folks that currently drive to OKC or Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    as well as larger populations in feeder towns such as Perry
    Ditchwitch in Perry will love this.

Stillwater Regional Airport

Free parking, has a cost comparison and flight schedules.

Still can't find any flights listed to check for cost.

I haven't seen anything solid yet, but the O'Colly article mentioned the prices are expected to be comparable to Ft. Smith-DFW prices (about $275).

I had thought that was round trip, but I checked out Ft.Smith to DFW and that's one way. I assume they'll do the complicated airline pricing where if your endpoint is somewhere besides DFW the SWO-DFW leg will be much cheaper, so it's hard to get a good comparison. Otherwise, the difference may be too much.

I have never been to SWO, but I was wondering about security? Do they have the appropriate setup already in place?

Looks like they'll start listing flights on Sunday.

They're working on security, as well as a terminal remodel. (Very minimal changes)

Recently installed security fencing around the entire acreage.

Prices are insane, in my opinion. $1,500 round trip for one person to Dallas?!?

Prices seem screwy. You can book Sunday to Sunday (9/4-9-11) for $238 round trip right now (although only 3 seats left on one of the 9.4 flights).

At one point, Enid, Ponca City, and Stillwater all had commercial service, at the same time, IIRC (granted, it was supplemented by that whatever federal program that was that worked to guarantee under serviced areas), but there's a larger population there now, as well as larger populations in feeder towns such as Perry, so I could see this working. It looks like ticket pricing will line up not too different as from OKC to DFW (which runs $250 ish) so saving on driving down and parking will make this a viable option for folks that currently drive to OKC or Tulsa.
    But since 2000, population in most of the towns neighboring Stillwater has slowly been going downhill. The only major exceptions to that are Enid and Guthrie. Otherwise, most of the population growth has been limited to Stillwater and its suburb, Perkins.

Most towns in the area, including Stillwater, had population losses during the 1980s caused by the downturn in oil. So now may not be the best of times to start a passenger air service. At least, the fact that most towns in the area weren't on the grow during the recent oil boom now on the wane plays contrary to that.

Prices seem screwy. You can book Sunday to Sunday (9/4-9-11) for $238 round trip right now (although only 3 seats left on one of the 9.4 flights).
    Yeah seems the initial flights might have been priced incorrectly.

Also, Pete, do you mind merging this thread with the other one that was already created? For easier tracking...

I've noticed lots of activity around the airport facility. This is the 2nd month with activity.

I'm assuming having commercial flights is bringing in a lot of business? There is a Fedex facility and of course Eskimo Joe's clothes out there already. I wonder who else may be building these warehouses out there?

December 2015:
    Two Warehouses, $4.95 million, EACH! (Routh Enterprises, INC.?)
    http://stillwater.org/government/cit...__Dec_2015.pdf

March report:
    Warehouse, $300,000.
    http://stillwater.org/government/cit...__Mar_2016.pdf

I wonder how the flights are doing. I'll take a sample this afternoon.

EA Study now available with public hearing set for May 19, 2016. Info here: Stillwater Regional Airport

Also, they now have a floorplan and other items available for new terminal addition (25,000 sq ft).
    SWOPlannedTerminalExpansion.jpg

Article from JR about commercial service here. I don’t have a sub so not sure what it’s about

https://journalrecord.com/2022/01/25...ce-at-airport/

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Article from JR about commercial service here. I don’t have a sub so not sure what it’s about

https://journalrecord.com/2022/01/25...ce-at-airport/
    Stillwater News Press version of story: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ci...3934e2768.html

I wish having airline service would work to attract major industry to Stillwater. The huge plant that once printed Rolling Stone and ESPN magazines is still for sale.

City, OSU approve agreement to keep American Airlines in Stillwater.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ci...c28698d9b.html

Thread Information