Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sapulpa

Default Sapulpa

I was wondering if anyone on this board has any insight/experiences with Sapulpa, OK.

I'm strongly considering purchasing a house there in the near future. I've been on the hunt for an older craftsman style house, and Sapulpa has a good stock of really cute 1920's houses for good prices. What really gets me about this town is that so much of the core neighborhoods are such a hodge podge mix of neat homes that have been fixed up and run down old shanties. I've never seen a place like this where you can drive down some of these streets and see potential drug dens right next to houses that have obviously had a ton of money recently invested in them. It's like there have been flippers at work, but not enough of them to have a solid critical mass effect to turn it into a trendy suburb yet.

I've heard conflicting views on how bad the crime is. The official crime rate is slightly higher than other areas of Tulsa, but not terrible. I get the impression that it could be really hit or miss.

The town's amenities seem nice. I like the downtown, the stocked fishing lakes, golf course, church district, and honestly that really neat looking oil derrick playground downtown.

I feel like the town has been slowly going through a resurgence, but it's affected by the west Tulsa industrial area. With the downturn in oil related jobs, I'm wondering if there's enough momentum to keep the town on a good path for the near future.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Sapulpa

I grew up in Bristow and spent a good deal of time in Sapulpa since it is only 20 minutes away from there. I always felt like the rougher parts were north of Hwy 33 (Dewey St I think) and west of 66 (Division St). But for the most part it really IS mixed as you say. Unless you buy in a new subdivision, you'd be well off to talk to a couple neighbors if you find a house you like and visit the neighborhood at night.

Keep doing some homework and even consider talking to some locals.
    I've been to and through Sapulpa a few times, but I will admit it's been a few years since I last been there. Now, don't be offended and I don't mean to offend anyone from there, but my take of Sapulpa has always been that it's a town that's seen better days.

Interpret that how you wish, but if it's something you want and are interested in, then by all means pursue it.

Best of luck to you.

shavethewhales

The same phenomenon exists in Bartlesville. One block good, the next not so much. However the crime is pretty under control here. In the older neighborhoods with several blocks of contiguous nice homes, the prices are much higher. To give you an idea, the picture below points out the home that I first lived in Bartlesville. It was cheap. It is tiny. But the neighborhood is phenomenal.

Bartlesville.JPG

and the mansions across the street.

Accross.JPG

Blog Entries

I live in Jenks, which is right next to Sapulpa so I'm there pretty often. I love the old buildings downtown and there are a lot of cool older houses, but a lot of it isn't in real good shape. The town is what it is, it's a somewhat run down blue collar town that outside of the mini ranches and newer subdivisions along 121st Street going towards Jenks hasn't grown in decades.

I don't think the schools are particularly good, they certainly appear pretty run down. If schools matter. The city has excellent access to highways and downtown, midtown and south Tulsa. Sand Springs, Jenks and Glenpool are all right next door.

FWIW, my lovely has kin in Sand Springs. They all seem rather happy there.

Thread Information