Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti Warehouse

Default Re: Spaghetti Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Interesting fact...

The parent company of Spaghetti Warehouse also owns the Cantina Laredo and El Chico brands and one of each has been closed in OKC in just the last month.

I didn't know Cantina Laredo in Penn closed. That was actually decent but the parking was horrendous. El Chico was just a tired brand though, never went there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty View Post
    I didn't know Cantina Laredo in Penn closed. That was actually decent but the parking was horrendous. El Chico was just a tired brand though, never went there.
    Laredo is making way for a Texas de Brazil.

Interesting fact...

The parent company of Spaghetti Warehouse also owns the Cantina Laredo and El Chico brands and one of each has been closed in OKC in just the last month.
    Competition in this town is really ramping up.

^

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I hate to see anyone go out of business but I've had a lot of poor meals since being back.

The bar needs to be raised in general.

I went to Spaghetti Warehouse maybe last year. It was just "meh" Italian food. I'm definitely not surprised that they're closing.

^

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I hate to see anyone go out of business but I've had a lot of poor meals since being back.

The bar needs to be raised in general.
    That is definitely happening, and a lot of the older bars/restaurants that have been in business for decades have not responded to the changing market and are struggling. It wouldn't surprise me to see places like Mamasita's close eventually.

I can't believe Mamasita's is still open. Went by there on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and they were closed.

All the new Glimcher stuff around them will either help or kill them off.

All the new Glimcher stuff around them will either help or kill them off.
    My guess is it will kill them off, unless they make an effort to update and rebrand the Mamasita's concept. It's a remnant of an era gone by for OKC. Sad to lose places that have been in business for so long and were once considered the coolest spots in town, but such is capitalism and progress. The Varsity is another one of those kind of places, was a cool spot in its time but squeezed out by the competition and the raising of the bar. Ironically, the Varisity in Fort Smith, AR which was nearly identical to the one that was in OKC, was recently purchased and converted to a Bricktown Brewery.

I'm sad to see Spaghetti Warehouse closing, even if their food was fairly mediocre - but this makes me very, very excited about the future prospects for this building. This building definitely seems ripe for residential with some first-floor retail - especially considering it's location in Bricktown and it's proximity to pretty much everything Bricktown has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I'm sad to see Spaghetti Warehouse closing, even if their food was fairly mediocre - but this makes me very, very excited about the future prospects for this building. This building definitely seems ripe for residential with some first-floor retail - especially considering it's location in Bricktown and it's proximity to pretty much everything Bricktown has to offer.
    This.

Spaghetti Warehouse was squandering the potential of that building. It could be a real jewel with the right developer and hopefully it happens.

And with everything happening in Bricktown and particularly along Sheridan, it's the perfect timing for a full rehab.

It's really one of the last remaining buildings -- and certainly the largest -- where the upper floors are still vacant.

I'm a little sad. I haven't been in years, but 12 years ago I went on my first date with my wife at this Spaghetti Warehouse. We had lattes at the coffee shop in the Mideke Building, and then walked over to an un-renovated Myriad Gardens.

Yeah, about 5 years ago I talked my family into going in for old time's sake but it was pretty sad inside.

Looked exactly like a place that hadn't been updated in 30 years.

Will always have a fond place in my heart as really the first big thing in that area.

Doesn't seem like USRP is the type of company that wants to mess with a massive rehab like we're talking about. Five floors that are 14,000sq. ft. each. I wonder if we could see the building up for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty View Post
    Doesn't seem like USRP is the type of company that wants to mess with a massive rehab like we're talking about. Five floors that are 14,000sq. ft. each. I wonder if we could see the building up for sale?
    The restaurant group sold the building back in 2001 to a big REIT out of Arizona.

Several local developers have tried to buy it... Maybe now with zero income they'll be much more motivated.

I'm pretty sad to hear about El Chico's doing poorly. That chain was one of the places I waited tables in college and I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

I can't believe Mamasita's is still open. Went by there on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and they were closed.
    Sadly, I think they did you a favor being closed when you went by. That place is not even comparable to the fun spot it was 20 years ago. Food is mediocre at best, and the waitstaff is slow and disinterested. I went in about 4 years ago for lunch on a Saturday and the place was dead. Service was slow, food was bland. Won't go back again.

^

Just goes to show you the advancements in restaurants in the last 20 years.

El Chico was basically frozen in time and couldn't hold a candle to the new places.

El Chico was basically frozen in time and couldn't hold a candle to the new places.
    This. The only reason to go to El Chico's was the nostalgia. The food wasn't that great (never has been) and neither was the atmosphere. Too many other options that were much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Sadly, I think they did you a favor being closed when you went by. That place is not even comparable to the fun spot it was 20 years ago. Food is mediocre at best, and the waitstaff is slow and disinterested. I went in about 4 years ago for lunch on a Saturday and the place was dead. Service was slow, food was bland. Won't go back again.
    I tried them once a few years ago right after moving back to OKC and won't be back.

Mamasita's will either get new energy when all the Glimcher stuff happens or will finally give way to an operation deserving of that great location and patio.

I frequent Bricktown as much as the next person and I've never seen Mamasita's open. I just assumed it was closed for good and no one painted over the sign yet.

Well they will be PACKED tonight. I have a groupon that expires on the 8th. I was planning on using it today anyway if I can get in.

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    I frequent Bricktown as much as the next person and I've never seen Mamasita's open. I just assumed it was closed for good and no one painted over the sign yet.
    Mamasita's is on 63rd by western not in bricktown

I literally ate there once in my lifetime, and I was to young to remember if it was any good or not.

Thread Information