Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cumberland Court

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cumberland Drive: Nichols Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I sometimes wonder if we would should make all subdivision roads private maintenance. If they want to put a gate up that is up to them.
    Aren't they private maintenance is they are closed gates during the day?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Spartan sez no one will want to buy any of the new homes in the proposed Cumberland development. Guess that all by itself means no one will. Oh well, back to the drawring board.
    That's not what I said. Are you really that breathtakingly stupid?

3. Default Re: Cumberland Drive: Nichols Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The problem though is if the replacement also lacks sophistication (gate, cul de sac, befitting of Edmond, not Nichols Hills). Someone who is looking for a home in Edmond will just go find a home in Edmond, of which there isn't exactly a shortage. The developer should be intelligent enough to accurately assess the niche that wants to buy in Nichols Hills.
    No need to be such an a**-hole but I do appologize that my response was a bit snarky, though. You do, however, clearly insinuate that people who find the same thing in Edmond will just go live in Edmond. You are totally wrong. That area is developing its own charm and appeal. I dont think the appeal lies with the 20-40 crowd but with empty nesters of which is a fast-growing market. Unless they go on sale overpriced or our economy is totally imploding that the developer will have a problem selling them. I think he's likely done his research.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    No need to be such an a**-hole but I do appologize that my response was a bit snarky, though. You do, however, clearly insinuate that people who find the same thing in Edmond will just go live in Edmond. You are totally wrong. That area is developing its own charm and appeal. I dont think the appeal lies with the 20-40 crowd but with empty nesters of which is a fast-growing market. Unless they go on sale overpriced or our economy is totally imploding that the developer will have a problem selling them. I think he's likely done his research.
    We partially agree, actually. I am saying that they should build Nichols Hills, not Edmond. People aren't choosing Nichols Hills for its cul-de-sacs, gates, and security huts, like they are Edmond.

I am sorry, but it's hard to respond seriously when you make me into a straw man without even understanding what I said. I am tired of the 3-4 posters that follow me around and try to troll me in every thread.

I drove down Western this morning. It looks like they are demoing some houses today.

Yep. Saw the same thing and did a double-take until I realized it was for the Cumberland development. It's sure going to be interesting-looking during this phase.

They have started work here (thanks to warreng88 for the photo):

8. Default Re: Cumberland Drive: Nichols Hills

When does the gate go in?

I was speaking with a contractor that was approached by the developer about building homes, he told me that perspective lot cost will be in the 400k range and the lots will only be around 40' wide. Zero backyards , talk about a tough sell..

From warreng88:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKIEDOKE View Post
    I was speaking with a contractor that was approached by the developer about building homes, he told me that perspective lot cost will be in the 400k range and the lots will only be around 40' wide. Zero backyards , talk about a tough sell..
    That sounds high, but this is the price range of the lots in the new development on the north side of 63rd between Penn and Western....$375,000, I believe. And they are selling...houses going up and are selling.

12. Default Re: Cumberland Drive: Nichols Hills

These will have no problem selling. Nichols Hills will always be a destination.

I still don't understand this project. There was nothing wrong with the houses that were there. But they tore them down and are closing off the road to put up a handful of cookie cutter, zero lot line houses and a little gated neighborhood. Seems like there might have been better places to do this than where they chose.

I predict these will sell quickly, specifically BECAUSE they are zero lot line and because they have no backyards. I further predict that when all is said and done, my parents will know at least 2-3 residents of the street.

There is a huge market of people out there, thousands of people I would guess, in Nichols Hills, Quail Creek, Greens/Val Verde, and Deer Creek/South Edmond that are 60-70 years old and still hanging on to their big family houses. They have ridden the appreciations up for 20-30 years and are ready to downsize. They aren't quite ready to "throw in the towel" and move to a condo. Many of them moved farther out then they really would have preferred because of kids and are looking to be "closer in" but they really aren't downtown people. This literally describes every one of my parents' friends. I think this will go gangbusters.

Now, one could argue about the demolition of that street. I would have maybe preferred a different approach. But the location within walking distance of NH Plaza and Western is exactly what WILL draw people.

Also, the walkability to NH Plaza and ultimately the new development south of 63rd are huge selling points, especially with Trader Joe's being a part of this.

And remember, there have been a bunch of high-priced two-on-a-lot homes built and sold south of Classen Curve for the same reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I still don't understand this project. There was nothing wrong with the houses that were there. But they tore them down and are closing off the road to put up a handful of cookie cutter, zero lot line houses and a little gated neighborhood. Seems like there might have been better places to do this than where they chose.
    These will not be cookie cutter homes. You sound as if you think they are putting up tract homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    These will not be cookie cutter homes. You sound as if you think they are putting up tract homes.
    Maybe McMansion would be a better term. From the pictures in this thread it looks like they aren't planning anything unique. Same basic design in different colors or finishes.

Blog Entries

This will be a dense development of single family homes within easy walking distance of great shopping, including Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, a nice group of locally owned restaurants from casual to fine, walking/biking trails that are beautiful and well maintained, and great access to downtown and most other business areas. It is 15 minutes to the airport ( a relatively cheap Uber ride). These homes will have restricted traffic and be safe and. walkable. Why do so many urbanites hate this lifestyle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This will be a dense development of single family homes within easy walking distance of great shopping, including Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, a nice group of locally owned restaurants from casual to fine, walking/biking trails that are beautiful and well maintained, and great access to downtown and most other business areas. It is 15 minutes to the airport ( a relatively cheap Uber ride). These homes will have restricted traffic and be safe and. walkable. Why do so many urbanites hate this lifestyle?
    Do you see the gate or not? lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Do you see the gate or not? lol
    Sure do.

I see no problem with gated communities and I prefer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I see no problem with gated communities and I prefer them.
    I currently live in a gated community and I can see both pluses and minuses.

Always funny to see single blocks gated off. But I guess when you live in a slum like Nichols Hills you gotta be worried about keeping the riff raff out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Always funny to see single blocks gated off. But I guess when you live in a slum like Nichols Hills you gotta be worried about keeping the riff raff out, right?
    Yeah, except that none of Nicols Hills is gated...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Yeah, except that none of Nicols Hills is gated...
    I think he was referring to the fact that this is in Nichols Hills, and will be gated.

Thread Information